Live view from the Tesla orbiting the Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Hmm … so when the motors do the braking = no brake lights?

No, not supposed to work that way. Either kind of braking turns the brake lights on.

Though it has been noted that these cars are unnecessarily complicated and shoddily built, so that could have something to do with it.

I’m not saying it’s going to crash into earth in a million years but it’s probably going to crash into earth in a million years.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I thought the most amazing part was watching the two rocket boosters coming back to earth and landing safely in unison. The rate of decent, and the engines firing to slow them down to be able to land safely is pretty crazy.

Actually, this IS rocket science......

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I thought the most amazing part was watching the two rocket boosters coming back to earth and landing safely in unison. The rate of decent, and the engines firing to slow them down to be able to land safely is pretty crazy.

Actually, this IS rocket science......

LOL! Well played sir!
grin.gif

I don't understand the hate coming from a couple of people in this thread.

It was a rocket test. They needed ballast; they could have used a concrete block weighing 3500 lbs., or a Tesla roadster. I think the Tesla roadster idea was infinitely more interesting.

I see nothing at all wrong with tooting your own horn a little bit if you're as successful as Elon Musk.

Somebody will probably retrieve it at some point in the future as a sort of time capsule!

I also thought the coolest thing was the boosters touching back down. I didn't realize we actually had the technology to do that yet. I thought that was still Sci-Fi stuff.

I heard that the main booster hit the ocean at 300 mph. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be on the ship that was supposed to be its landing pad! How would you like to be on a ship that had a massive missile falling towards it at 300 mph?! I'm sure they could track it and knew exactly where it was going to hit. But still!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I heard that the main booster hit the ocean at 300 mph. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be on the ship that was supposed to be its landing pad! How would you like to be on a ship that had a massive missile falling towards it at 300 mph?! I'm sure they could track it and knew exactly where it was going to hit. But still!

I thought they did some tests with a drone ship?

if you check their website, in the gallery photos you will see the platform ship.

If I'm not mistaken, they have been testing the landing for about 2 years....

The third rocket was supposed to land on a floating barge, but failed. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be on the ship that was supposed to be its landing pad! How would you like to be on a ship that had a massive missile falling towards it at 300 mph?! I'm sure they could track it and knew exactly where it was going to hit. But still!

Its a drone ship. Computer controlled, with no one on board, for safeties sake.

Those booster rockets are long and skinny. Just having them stand up without wobbling would be difficult. It is like landing a pencil straight up on a desk while the desk is floating on water!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The third rocket was supposed to land on a floating barge, but failed. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Hence, 2/3s rocket science.
laugh.gif

Quote:
Not saying it's an easy task, but not an impossible one either.

Duh! How could it be impossible if it was already done? :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Not saying it's an easy task, but not an impossible one either.

Duh! How could it be impossible if it was already done? :)

You compared it to landing a pencil straight up on a moving platforms. That is an impossible task to perform reliably and almost an impossible task to do it even once.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 28oz
I just wished they had sectioned off the dashboard and labled/treated each section with Armor-all, Mothers, and Meguiers UV blockers. Then we could see which one really does work the best against solar radiation.
34.gif
27.gif

That brings up a good point. Being out in space with no protection, won't the sun's UV rays destroy the paint and tires on that car in short order?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I just wished they had sectioned off the dashboard and labled/treated each section with Armor-all, Mothers, and Meguiers UV blockers. Then we could see which one really does work the best against solar radiation.
34.gif
27.gif

That brings up a good point. Being out in space with no protection, won't the sun's UV rays destroy the paint and tires on that car in short order?

Cosmic radiation and so-called space dust impacting the car will have a deleterious effect.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
34.gif
27.gif

The UV level is higher outside the atmosphere, but the Tesla got jettisoned towards Mars so the Sun's rays will become weaker as it moves away which will help the tires last longer. The side of the car continually facing deep space will try to cool down to below -200 F if it's not rotating like a pig on a rotisserie.

Wonder what it will look like after an asteroid hits it? Talk about space junk. At least it's not coming down on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back