Little or no roundabouts in the U.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My perception is roundabouts take up more real estate, and using significantly different traffic management systems for intersections is not a good thing.
They certainly don't play well with large 2 x 53' trailer transport combinations (LCVs).

Last edited:
In my town they have begun to start building roundabouts. We have had several built in the last year or so and they are building more right now.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
How many roundabouts do you know of in your immediate area, why are they so uncommon in the U.S? i much MUCH prefer roundabouts to intersections.
Anyway here is an interesting video on Traffic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4PW66_g6XA

The first is the exit from my subdivision.
The second is about one mile away. If I take the first exit I'm presented with a third in about a mile.
If I take the second exit, I'm presented with the fourth round about in town.
If I take the third exit out of that one, I can drive to the fifth and final (I think) in my town.

In our town of 20k or so, there are at least five roundabouts.

Originally Posted By: Danno
My perception is roundabouts take up more real estate, and using significantly different traffic management systems for intersections is not a good thing.
They certainly don't play well with large 2 x 53' trailer transport combinations (LCVs).

They are actually more efficient than 4 way stops. You can get more light vehicle traffic through a roundabout. I do agree that large vehicles may find them more difficult.

They are becoming more common here on smaller roads, but there was a huge one in Chelmsford MA that was converted to lights due to heavy traffic and way too many accidents. There is another one just off Rt 3 that I sometimes hit when going to Lowell or Dracut that is also well known for fairly high speed crashes.

My wife grew up in rural WI between Milwaukee and Madison and they had added all kinds of roundabouts in the middle of nowhere last time we visited...it was so weird to go through one after another when it seemed there were no cars around for miles and there really weren't even any buildings in sight. I'd guess they got some government money intended to encourage roundabouts and went wild with it...

There was a notorious one NW of Chicago when I lived there, I remember Wolf and Golf were involved and it was a real mess with 5 spokes and lots of traffic involved. Most people didn't know what to do and it was a scary place during commute times, I used it fairly often when I had to commute from Skokie to Schaumburg for a while and was happy every time I made it through without a fender bender.

Last edited:
I LOVE them! They simply work better when people know how to drive. The problem is, here in the US folks don't even know how to use a stop sign. So many times I pull up to a stop sign and have the right of way, and get pulled out in front of...or pull up to a stop sign and someone else has the right of way, and they wave me on to go in front of them. People can't handle stop signs here, where you come to a stop...so of course they can't handle a round a bout where the rules have to be put in effect while in motion. I love driving in Europe, and it is clear when everybody knows how to use them they can keep more people moving at a busy intersection.

Never used to have any, now they are popular with local governments because they are cheaper. I hate them, people can't drive in them, they cause accidents.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Lots of circles in NJ. Personally, I don't care for them.

When I was driving a truck, that's the first time I saw a traffic circle. I don't like them period.

The other thing I saw in Jersey for the first time, and the only time was a jug handle. Have to make a right, and then loop around just to make a left hand turn at a traffic light.
06.gif

Just like any new changes, they will take time for drivers to adjust. Also, just because they have them in Europe does not make them a better choice here. Europe has used these things for a long time. Every country or region has their own unique setups.

One negative on roundabouts in WA state is that most of them have plantings in the center. Just over a few years some of those plants and bushes are blocking visibility for the drivers.

I can think of less that 10 in ga/fl that I have encountered

The new thing in Georgia is ddi. Check out diamond diverging intersections, essentially in my area there is one on a major highway at a interstate and what it is is like a figure 8 Race Track traffic crosses over itself to eliminate turn Lanes works pretty well actually

Last edited:
They seem to be 'trendy' in my area. My city installed one that is kidney shaped a few years ago. Drivers seem confused when entering and exiting it and a lot of fender benders have resulted from it's design. 5 entrances and exits. I avoid it.

We have a bunch here now. Eh, I don't care either way. They put some in Port Townsend but forgot there are three large RV parks on the other side of them.
So...
Getting this

through this

Has been a bit of pain. The tractor trailers just drive over the sidewalk.
The space they put them in wasn't large enough to make them big enough to accommodate all types of traffic. They realized after they built three identical ones in a row and opened them.

I have like 3 in my area but it still seems confusing to alot of people and becomes dangerous. I do prefer them but you cant fix stupid sometimes...ive had people taking the roundabout in the wrong direction coming right at me...not a great feeling. I dont think its a good solution for all settings, maybe a mildly busy area but moderately busy or worse will cause more problems than it solves.

Originally Posted By: NStuart
I can think of less that 10 in ga/fl that I have encountered

The new thing in Georgia is ddi. Check out diamond diverging intersections, essentially in my area there is one on a major highway at a interstate and what it is is like a figure 8 Race Track traffic crosses over itself to eliminate turn Lanes works pretty well actually

I posted a link to this contraption earlier. Getting people to drive on the wrong side will be interesting even for only a few hundred feet.

A lot of new ideas for roads coming out. For someone like myself who has been driving for over 40 years, it will take getting used to. Another scheme up here is pay as you go HOV lanes. As traffic increases, the charge per mile goes up. I've decided not to use them.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Glad there aren't many traffic circles in the U.S. Stop signs work better IMO.

Stop signs are very inexpensive.

Round-a-bouts cost a lot of money to make. I prefer them over stop signs, but it's the other 90% of idiot drivers that ruin it for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back