Lithium Ion Battery DIY

The panels I get are from solar farms and are used. Right now I am using Trina 250w panels and most them are testing near %100 but if I get %80 out of them I am happy. I also have a couple of more portable 100w panels I use that I got new but they are no name brand as far as I can tell.

I use mppt controllers but if you want to save money a pcm controller will get the job done. I usually use victron or outback for the controller.

I would figure your roi carefully because it is very easy to get upside down with these builds. If you are doing it for the fun and experience then by all means.

I would figure all of your charging at .2C and size from there. Make sure you use cables of adequate size this is very important. Hopefully they send busbars with the batteries even though sometimes they are not very good quality.

You are going to end up with a pretty heavy and big battery so make sure you have your case worked out. Each cell you ordered weighs ~13 pounds each if I recall, so that is 100 lbs in just cells. Environmentally I would check and make sure that they don't get wet as I am not sure they are built for that.

For BMS good luck finding a well supported one with low temp protection. It's not something I really worry about based on my location but when I looked last year there were not many options. This may have changed. I would go with one that has a lot of support in the communities. The one I linked is a very popular one and you can find it on alibababa pretty cheap under other names.

I would start small with a bench PS before jumping into the solar. It's handy to have and will help in the times the sun does not cooperate. Especially if you have just a few panels working. If you are going to store your batteries for long periods in between, remember that you should store at around %80 soc. These batteries hate being held at %100 for long periods.

You probably have at least 8 weeks until you get the cells, so a while to make decisions on how your build will go.

What are you planning on using for an inverter? This is one item I for sure would not cheap out on. Some inverters have built in chargers so you may be able to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. There are also AIO units that have inverters, chargers and mppt controllers but they are meant for permanent installation.

Beer, Thanks for the link, I am pouring over the bms functions.

BMS - I has been a journey to find a user modifiable BMS. I am sticking DALY or the brank that overkill solar resells.

I would love a DALY waterproof BMS but for the life of my I can't figure out if I am able to modify the max charge cut off voltage for these DALY SUPERIOR BMSs

Why modify - I want to charge my LIPO cells to 80% and discharge them to 35% max, I really don't need all the capacity as I have over sized my unit by many folds.

DALY SUPERIOR - in the spec they say max voltage and min voltage for cut off "ANY STRING"
To me ANY STRING means, I can modify it, but HOW?

DALY SMART BMS BT - as a bluetooth connection and app that I can use to set those voltages and monitor the cell voltage.

Another feature in the BMS would be nice is a REMOTE On/Off switch.

Active Balancing - This is a must, I bought a cheap board that does active balancing at 1A max. There are some on Aliexpress with BT function and does up to 16s, I might breakdown and buy one once I find a good brand. They run around $60

Charging - .2C charging will be an issue, each cell has 280AH, .2c = 56A @14v,
I am still trying to find a solution.
I found a switching power supply on Ali which 40A max for 0-24A, constant current/voltage settable. This one runs around $120
And they warn that use should be at 80% max, lol.

Case - yikes, I mean, they are non-existent, I was hoping to find a waterproof battery box in a 31d size, so it fits my battery storage compartment. No dice. I wonder where Battleborn and other battery manufacturers get their battery boxes.

I have a few hand gun cases I could use, they will fit 4 of the 280AH cells, might be tight.

Inverter - All in one would be nice, for now, I picked up a samlex $1500w pure sine for the van to run the microwave, I need to pick up some dc breakers.

Anderson Connectors is what I am going to use and keep the connection standard at 150A, Can't find a bulk seller of Anderson Connectors.

Solar - ROI - you hit the nail on the head, I am looking at something to grid tie to get some credit for what I use. Maybe a micro inverter based unit. Don't have the $$$ for a full blown solution. I was looking to do a DIY with 3 panels this year and then add another 3 next year.
I will post separate thread on solar.
No I am not looking to use solar to charge my batts, just some fun :).
Looking at Trina panels.

Busbars - Xuba included 16 Busbars in the order. not sure how good they are, I will probably double them up, My max amps needs will probably never exceed 100A.

Charging at 20A to 60A @14V for 12v LIFEPO4 system

There so many solutions out there that my head was jammed up with solutions.

So I asked my self what do I want in terms of features for my charger:

1. Bluetooth monitoring of charging voltage and amps
2. 50 Amp at user customizable voltage from 13 to 15 volts
3. Stand alone charger with small foot print.
4. Waterproof somewhat

$$$$ is a constraint and ROI is a big factor.
So for now, I bought a
PowerMax PM3-55LK 12V Charger/Power Supply.
Why - This one allow me to set the charge voltage. and the best part was that it was $140 ish. NOT waterproof though, so I will have to get another one which is lower amps and waterproof like the victron.

I plan on charging my batt to 80% of full capacity. And having the ability to set the voltage let's me to do that.
The bms has the feature to cut it off at a certain voltage. But most cheap BMS only does this at 100% SOC.

WIth a bluetooth enabled BMS (Beer, I bought the overkill 12v BMS) I should be able to monitor voltage and cells. I am picking up a few ANT bms from ali to test them out too.

Load testing
I assumed I would not need to load test. But after paying nearly $1k for LiFEPO4 cells, I want to make sure all the cells test out fine.

The Amrel is bit out my budget, I saw Will use smaller ones. Time to watch more youtube videos ;-)

With charging and bms resolved, I am focusing on load testing now.

Seems like a solid plan.

For battery testing if you get creative you can use a hairdryer, inverter and a multimeter/ammeter and do some math. I think Will has a video or 2 on how to do this. I agree for most people a DC load bank is excessive unless you are going to test batteries all the time.

The BMS you purchased is well supported and configurable so I think that was a good choice.

Good luck with this , I think you are going to have fun with the build. Keep us posted

You could also use something like this for testing. I had a similar one and I let the magic smoke out of it so YMMV. It will also take a long time to test 280Ah batts :)

Update:
The cells are finally here.
I have one with shipping damage, let's see what the seller does.

Charging:
1. Charging at home, the solutions are very poor out there for high amps. the one that BeerCan has in the pics is a good charge but even at 25A, that will take 8 hours to put back 200ah.

We are send a man to the moon but we cannot make a usable 2 stage CC CV charger @ 50a max output, even 40a max out will be nice.

What I need to solve now is charging the 280ah @12 battery when I out at a boat launch.

I have 60a @12v available off the van alternator,

I need a waterproof solution [splash proof] is good enough.

Back