How come America is not nearly recognized in the same conversation as The Eagles?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am not very knowledgeable about music. I simply know what I like. I don't know much about bands, band members, etc.

Ever since a kid, I always liked the songs from the group "America". A horse with no name, Tin man, Sister golden hair..... all great songs (in my ears).

Any thoughts on why America takes a back seat to The Eagles when talking about music published in that era?

Last edited:
I'm 35 and I (and everyone I know) knows who The Eagles are.

I've never heard of America... Never even heard it mentioned by coworkers in their 50s-60s.

It’s a great question and the only thing I can think of is that The Eagles had more of a country vibe to their music. During that era there were several bands who played a countrified rock style. Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels are two groups that exemplified that. It might have been regional. I’m not sure the country sound was popular in the east coast as it was out west.

America was more folksy. Still good though.

I've definitely heard Sister Golden Hair a bunch of times before and like it. Haven't heard Ventura Highway.

I am not very knowledgeable about music. I simply know what I like. I don't know much about bands, band members, etc.

Ever since a kid, I always liked the songs from the group "America". A horse with no name, Tin man, Sister golden hair..... all great songs (in my ears).

Any thoughts on why America takes a back seat to The Eagles when talking about music published in that era?
America made some fantastic music for sure. But who knows why people like what they like, or like one thing more than another.

I like the group America. They actually were getting air play before The Eagles. I can remember it was around 1972. Neil Young’s “Harvest” album was big. The Allman Brothers Band “Eat A Peach” was selling good along with their single “Melissa”.
Another band worth mentioning is Poco. The Eagles and Poco had band members going back and forth.

I like the group America. They actually were getting air play before The Eagles. I can remember it was around 1972. Neil Young’s “Harvest” album was big. The Allman Brothers Band “Eat A Peach” was selling good along with their single “Melissa”.
Another band worth mentioning is Poco. The Eagles and Poco had band members going back and forth.

Poco was formed after Buffalo Springfield broke up. A couple of BS guys along with a few others started up the band originally.

I think it is more because The Eagles were barfed all over the airways at the time and since. While an alright band I think the controversy of their breakup and solo projects made it a topic so the other good bands that had air play never got know by the band name but everyone knows some of their songs. Kinda like how Led Zeppelin overshadows other music like it while being alright but nothing overly amazing.

Reactions: GON
That's assbackwards because

eagles.jpg

aren't as good as America's best team

chiefs.jpg

Last edited:
You just picked two random bands and are asking an impossible question. This same question applies to hundreds or thousands of musical acts. 🙄

lmao when I was a kid I had a Fisher-Price record player and one of the 45's I had was this song. On occasion my old man would pick me up from preschool (usually it was my mother but on occasion my dad would get off work early and pick me up) I remember it being an event and so proud my dad was picking me up. He'd stop off at the store to let me pick out a 45 and I remember grabbing this one day.

Back