Linux slowness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just shooting from ignorance here, but I thought Linux didn't play well with the integrated graphics chips. My knowledge on the issue may be a few years old, but, I seem to remember RHEL didn't work with an HP box that had integrated graphics. Use a graphics card and everything's good (and NVidia has very good support for non-Windows OS).

You said you installed the 32 bit version of Linux, are you sure the machine is not 64 bit?

Originally Posted By: spackard
Just shooting from ignorance here, but I thought Linux didn't play well with the integrated graphics chips. My knowledge on the issue may be a few years old, but, I seem to remember RHEL didn't work with an HP box that had integrated graphics. Use a graphics card and everything's good (and NVidia has very good support for non-Windows OS).

Integrated or not does not matter much; it is rather whether or not the drivers are available as open source or if they are proprietary. All Intel chips are open source but AMD and NVIDIA are closed source. There are open source drivers for AMD and NVIDIA chips that are workable but deficient relative to their closed-source counterparts, which themselves have their idiosyncrasies.

The screen tearing issue fixed itself when I reinstalled using LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, but the lag was still there.

I am back on the machine now, turned off hardware acceleration in Chrome (great suggestion!) and will report back.

I was a MATE fan, but after tweaking Cinnamon I am enjoying it.

Here are all the specs of the machine.

nOJNk2d.png

I've always advised to avoid proprietary display drivers on Linux unless there is a specific, overriding reason to use them. I've tried them in the past, but they can be a bit of work, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back