Slow initial response to loading web pages

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Thread starter
Not just BITOG. And not any one specific device. I have FiOS, 25/25. Generally have been happy with it. Ours is setup so that we have CAT 5e or 6 copper straight from the network box to our router. Not coax to a modem in the router. The issue is this. Try to reach out to a site, and it's very sluggish to respond, but once it has connected, it loads instantly. The browser loading bar stops between 25-35% across. See below. Switch off my WiFi on a phone, over to 5Ge AT&T, which inside my home is generally 5/2 up/down and ~38ms, loads instant. Streaming 4K and multiple streams is not an issue, nor is downloading. I've seen generally 2.1-2.4 MB/s, but as high as 2.9 when downloading big files like OS updates. Using Speedtest I can confirm 25/25mbps, and 8-9ms ping. Any ideas or suggestions? Same issue on iPhone, iPad, multiple Macs and W10 pc. Thanks!

6C528727-1F05-4B9C-8BD4-37BD7998BCE4.png


82373D09-9CAA-411F-B8FA-1BDF071B0E05.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,467
Location
Maryland USA
Do you have something that does a check on the website before allowing it to proceed ? Something like Norton Internet Security enabled at the browser level ? This sounds like a local PC problem, or DNS issue. There are 3 main web browser products: IE (and Edge), Chrome, and Firefox, plus a ton of niche products. If you use Chrome, try installing Firefox but do not let it add any extensions: keep it vanilla . If the performance seems much better, then you have narrowed it down to some security product or plug-in / extension.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Thread starter
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Do you have something that does a check on the website before allowing it to proceed ? Something like Norton Internet Security enabled at the browser level ? This sounds like a local PC problem, or DNS issue. There are 3 main web browser products: IE (and Edge), Chrome, and Firefox, plus a ton of niche products. If you use Chrome, try installing Firefox but do not let it add any extensions: keep it vanilla . If the performance seems much better, then you have narrowed it down to some security product or plug-in / extension.
Behaves the same with safari on iOS devices, safari and Firefox on Mac computers, and IE and chrome on the W10 machine.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Thread starter
Originally Posted by dogememe
Try changing your DNS servers in your router to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. Probably your ISPs DNS servers are garbage.
Ok, so my router is set to automatically get DNS from the ISP. Primary is some 71.x.x.x; secondary is 68.x.x.x
 
Messages
42,584
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by JHZR2
I think that fixed it.
Excellent. I generally use OpenDNS (owned by Cisco, and you can configure it to block a lot of malware and adware) which is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Thread starter
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Excellent. I generally use OpenDNS (owned by Cisco, and you can configure it to block a lot of malware and adware) which is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
I have much to learn in this area. Where can I learn to configure this? I assume that different DNS servers are owned by different people?
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Thread starter
Btw, just downloaded the 1.1.1.1 app, which installs a vpn on your phone. So now I'm using 1.1.1.1 there as well...
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Thread starter
Hmmmm.... does Cloudflare block competing DNS? I was trying to look into the family safe dns setting on Cisco OpenDNS. Everything else is working great, but that is sluggish. Acts the same as before...

A3E21F42-7A8D-4CBB-BFE2-D48402BBDDC8.png
 
Messages
42,584
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Excellent. I generally use OpenDNS (owned by Cisco, and you can configure it to block a lot of malware and adware) which is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
I have much to learn in this area. Where can I learn to configure this? I assume that different DNS servers are owned by different people?
Just go to opendns.com and create an account. It will allow you to associate your home network with the service and then you can create categories block certain types of sites and the like. It's now part of Cisco's Umbrella solution.
 
Messages
2,608
Location
San Rafael, CA
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Hmmmm.... does Cloudflare block competing DNS? I was trying to look into the family safe dns setting on Cisco OpenDNS. Everything else is working great, but that is sluggish. Acts the same as before...
Cloudflare is a great company with good ethics, a track record of respecting their customers, and I've used their core product (website services [WAF/CDN/DNS]) for my personal, business, and client's websites ever since it came out and I have nothing but great things to say about them. And I have no issue accessing the OpenDNS website and I'm using Cloudflare DNS. OpenDNS might just have been having a website issue at that time. Anyway, if you don't want to use Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) you can also use Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it works pretty well, although Google's track record when it comes to privacy is LOL, what's that!?
 
Top