Linkedin individual subscription cost $39.99 monthly??

I paid $19.99 for many years, before finally dropping to free.
I paid because of the InMail privileges. No real other reason.
Seems to be a place now where freelancers can get short-term work.
There’s a couple other former coworkers I can keep in touch with only through there.

Is LinkedIn really needed to find a very good job ?

Lots of phony people trying to self promote themselves with false credentials.

Is LinkedIn really needed to find a very good job ?

Lots of phony people trying to self promote themselves with false credentials.
Dave,

Beats me. I applied for a few jobs, next thing I knew Linkedin started to email (market) me with their "subscribers get 2.3 x more offers than basic members. I hadn't been on Linkedin in over a decade. I suspect tracking cookies with my information was sold to/ cross referenced to Linkedin from a job search I conducted.

I also suspect the 2.3x job offers are for jobs that may not be so desirable, like multi level marketing and/ or sales positions. When I sat back and reflected, I can't see how the monthly subscription is going to increase job offers other than for jobs that require a pulse to be marketed to.

I have been on LinkedIn for a couple decades - mostly on the free account. If your getting more than 1 email a day from anyone other than your direct connections you have something set wrong.

I only get 1 update from linkedin a day - with people wanting to connect - mostly spammers which I can click ignore. I do get email notifications from people I know / knew - and I have to click on linkedin to read their message.

The paid service is if you want to connect with people outside your current network. I got a free trial of the service years ago - I was able to find some people I knew in college and connect with them - they were not in my professional network.

That said, the paid service I think is for recruiters or someone trying to network into a new industry or find the correct person to network with. I know some programmers that get all their work from Linkedin. They like to do piece work - no job more than 30 days for example. I however only link in with I have met in person.

Its a great place to keep track of people you worked with in the past. I have literally worked with hundreds of people on one time projects years ago that I can still be in touch with. People from college 25 years ago, etc. I have almost 1000 connections. These are all people i have worked with in a 25 year career that now live all over the world. There is no other place to keep track of these people and I would loose complete touch if not for linked.

I recently got an email from a girl I worked with 20 years ago. We were linked but likely hadn't spoken in proabably that long. She was looking for a job and asking about the area I lived now - she is completely out of my industry at this point. I was happy to answer her questions.

Its the only social media I go on - well besides automotive sites anonymously. I have no faceplant account, no instagram. I have a twitter account only to follow a couple financial channels - I never post.

It is what you make of it and its not for everyone.

I paid for Premium when I was looking for a job, and cancelled once I found one. That’s the only useful time the subscription made sense.

I know of some people that upgrade to premium when they're on a job hunt then cancel it before the next month's charges, but I can't imagine it as a regular thing.

LinkedIn is just Facebook for corporate hacks. I see zero value in it.
Yes, completely agree, and it has gotten frustratingly political at times and is full of 'look at me' postings that are of marginal value. Although as one of those 'corporate hacks', it is a necessity to some extent although I'd say its' value is more to those starting or advancing careers and consulting. When I was between jobs and consulting in a few specialties, I upgraded to Premium and the features were helpful, but I wound up finding my current role...or I should say it found me, with the help of my Executive Coach and most of my consulting gigs came from personal networking. I consulted in a bit of a narrow field though.

Since I joined Premium, I seem to get more irritating cold call, junk mail in LinkedIn messaging from folks hawking franchises and similar sketchy opportunities touting my history of success while pulling bits from my profile...LinkedIn should be better about that, much, much better.

For Premium, the unlimited messaging is good as are the advanced 'who's looking' and job opening features. All depends on what you want to do.

Last edited:
Back