LingLong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing those 11 years ago when I first started at my current job. Used car department wanted to match them and I struck out with all of our vendors at the time.

Yep, LingLong has been added to the list, I mentioned it early on.

I made mention of a guy that put new Linglong tires on with the outlined white lettering on the outside-- I laughed at it at the time, but since then I've seen at least three or four other vehicles with the white lettering displayed! Must be getting to be a popular value tire, I see them as often as I do Uniroyals.

Let's put a set of cheap Chinese brand tires on the family vehicle and all hop in for an 8 hour road trip at 75 MPH.
Who would do that?
Death wish?
I can buy tires for my old sentra at discount for $40.
Nope I paid $83 because i value my life at 75 MPH on I-70 every day.

Back in the 1960s, I had a morbidly thrifty father. He sent me off to a commuter college in a no options 6 cylinder 1956 Plymouth. It had four different brand tires on it. He would replace them one at a time as they wore out.

One time, he bought an "Abel Label" brand tire. It was squeezed down into the shape of a washer, then tightly wrapped. They must have had an easier time warehousing and transporting them that way. I have no idea where it was made. He paid something like $8 for that tire "on sale".

Originally Posted by marine65
Let's put a set of cheap Chinese brand tires on the family vehicle and all hop in for an 8 hour road trip at 75 MPH.
The NHTSA will recall the tires, essentially punishing companies who produce tires that fall apart. I see your concerns though. I wonder if the Chinese are as good at stealing advanced rubber compound technology as well as they have been obviously great at stealing tire construction basics and factory processes. Good rubber compounding means the tire is decent in the rain & dry roads alike, and an optimum compromise for snow/ice traction is made too. "Consistently finishing last in all of the performance categories..."--- Car & Driver said of LingLong tires 9 years ago. Maybe LingLong has gotten better??? Needs testing.

Also, the cheapest tire of them all may have to come from Malaysia & Thailand, for example, as Chinese tariffs ramp up.

Originally Posted by k1xv
Back in the 1960s, I had a morbidly thrifty father. He sent me off to a commuter college in a no options 6 cylinder 1956 Plymouth. It had four different brand tires on it. He would replace them one at a time as they wore out.

One time, he bought an "Abel Label" brand tire. It was squeezed down into the shape of a washer, then tightly wrapped. They must have had an easier time warehousing and transporting them that way. I have no idea where it was made. He paid something like $8 for that tire "on sale".

Interesting story. Dads back then were a product of the 1930's, when the depression scared the yoo-hoo out of everybody and created a nation of frugal people.

I've put a few Linglongs on cars. They ALWAYS take a ton of weight to balance out. I doubt they ride/handle very good. I would never take that chance, especially if I can pay $15 more for a name brand.

Have a LingLong Crosswind Tour on my F150 in 235/75/15. Balanced easy, rides great, no complaints.

LingLong are on many OTR trucks. They must be serviceable- many fleet operators track millage, wear, reliability etc.

Originally Posted by k1xv
Back in the 1960s, I had a morbidly thrifty father. He sent me off to a commuter college in a no options 6 cylinder 1956 Plymouth. It had four different brand tires on it. .

By 'eck, life were 'ard in them days!

NO OPTIONS!

ONLY 6 CYLINDERS!!

Tell that to kids today, they'll not believe you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More than half of the world's production of automobiles is in China. They dwarf American manufacturing. I bet they know a few things about manufacturing tires for all those cars they are building.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Looking at those I thought you linked to the wrong page OP, they sure looked like the Dynapro AT-M at first glance.https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Dynapro+AT-M
The Chinese copy a tread pattern? Say it ain't so!!!
lol.gif
Hard to say if tariffs will fix any of the IP theft. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/87772/unbelievable-chinese-copycat-cars

They probably have learned to make them durable enough not to fly apart in any significant percentages. Tread compounds are the tough part. Can they corporate-espionage their way into copying polymer science here? We need a 2018 test, as all I've seen is a 9 year old test, and LingLongs were bad back then. It's an engineering culture I guess.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
pictures

I'm not sure if I want Chinese-copy Mario as the mascot for my tires.

That isn't the same tread pattern as the Hankook Dynapro though. I don't know whether LingLong tires are any good.

China can build nuclear submarines and orbiting space stations but somehow cannot make tire rubber? I really don't think so. What have they done in the last 10 years? Well for one thing China now builds more than half the world's automobiles. And now they own Volvo too.
[Linked Image]

https://www.lubrizoladditives360.com/acea-oil-sequences-china/

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
pictures

I'm not sure if I want Chinese-copy Mario as the mascot for my tires.

Is it any worse than Goodyears "flying shoe"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back