Letting car sun dry prior to apply spray wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 4Runner so it's a bit of a pain to dry it after each wash. Is it detrimental to let the car dry in the sun prior to applying spray wax or regular wax? I imagine I'd be buffing out most of the water spots. Or can the water spots be detrimental over time?

Last edited:
Get a couple of good drying microfiber towels. Letting the car dry in the sun will cause water spots which are minerals left from the water. Those minerals will scratch.

It's best to do your car detailing in the shade.

Totally agree, waxing after just rinsing is such a bad idea.

I use a synthetic chamois and it's really fast and easy. They are fantastic and just wick the water off in one pass. Ring it out, repeat once all over the car. What little water is left, I'm ok to let that evaporate off. I've also had the same chamois since c. 1994. They last forever.

I have the large version of "the absorber" even with that I'm wringing it out thoroughly at least 12 times. Rinse a few gallons of distilled water? Ok should I buy it by the jug or a special machine to filter out all the minerals? That's hands down a terrible idea not sure if that was sarcastic

Pertinent thread! I just bought a Griots water de-ionizer so I can wash my cars here in the desert where the humidity is 10% or less most of the time. With low humidity you simply can't dry the whole car off before some parts dry on their own leaving mineral spots. Hopefully the new de-ionizer will make washing a lot easier; if it dries before I get to get to it, the de-ionized water leaves no spots.

Originally Posted by PlzRepond
I have the large version of "the absorber" even with that I'm wringing it out thoroughly at least 12 times.

So try a high quality synthetic chamois. Two or three times. My suv has a bit more surface area than a 4Runner. It's really quite quick and low effort. A towel is not the same thing.

A California Water Blade may be your buddy along with a few swipes with microfiber drying towel afterward. Just open the door and step up to dry the roof and the rest of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
A California Water Blade may be your buddy along with a few swipes with microfiber drying towel afterward. Just open the door and step up to dry the roof and the rest of the vehicle.

Seems like a good way to scratch your paint.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I have never scratched the paint on any of my vehicles and the Firebird in my signature is Jet Black. I've been using the CWB for >20 yrs. Everything about the CWB is silicone including the handle.

Last edited:

I have never scratched the paint on any of my vehicles and the Firebird in my signature is Jet Black. I've been using the CWB for >20 yrs. Everything about the CWB is silicone including the handle.

All it takes is one small bit of grit to leave a nice long scratch in the paint. Dust can leave micro-marring.

Are you sure your paint is as flawless as you think?

All it takes is one small bit of grit to leave a nice long scratch in the paint. Dust can leave micro-marring.

Are you sure your paint is as flawless as you think?

I guess you could do or say the same with a drying towel, chamois, microfiber towel. And I never said the car was flawless, just not any scratches from the CWB. It has flaws just from being 39 years old(age & time) and original since I bought it new. But, it wins car shows in it's class/category just the same, flawless or not.

Last edited:
A good drying towel will allow you to dry the vehicle by dragging the towel across the surface. No pressure is needed.

Originally Posted by PimTac
A good drying towel will allow you to dry the vehicle by dragging the towel across the surface. No pressure is needed.

Exactly. Thick plush microfibers lift and trap with no pressure applied.

The Griot's towel I linked above can dry nearly my whole hood just by laying it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back