Let's Play - Pick my next oil !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penrite and filter of your choice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
What do your Z154's look like now ? They used to have no ADV, but they all seem conventional now.

All the Z154's I have used recently have been fitted with a ADV. I remember testing a used filter and nothing came out until I pushed the valve up with a screw driver.

So far I have used Repco, Valvoline and Wesfil-Cooper filters and they all had a functioning ADV. The wf-Cooper is a nice filter for the price.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Penrite and filter of your choice
smile.gif

The Penrite has 1220 ppm Zinc and a TBN of 11 plus it's VW 502/505 rated.

It's KV100 = 13.5 cSt so it's right at the thin end for a typical 10W40, most of the others are over 14 cSt.

Close to a thick & high zinc 10W30, which I like.

mmm I'd go with the semi's and then roll into the fulls of the same brand lower viscosity when the temp drops... depends on your OCI etc.
Or put them all in a circle and put a glass bottle in the middle and spin..... The bottle never lies!
laugh.gif

Ahh right my friend... Shell Helix Ultra 5w40... And the Repco filter. Hard to beat ACEA A3B4, Porsche A40, MB 229.5...

Thanks for playing everyone.

My plan was to use one of the new Castrol full synthetic products that has recently hit the Australian market. Either the Edge 10W30 A5/B5 or the Magnatec 5W30 A3/B4.

But the people have spoken, and you guys went old school on me. According to my tally, Penrite Vantage semi-synthetic wins, with Shell Helix Ultra in close second.

Therefore .....

OCI: 9650 KM / 6000 miles / 7 months

OUT: Mobil 1 5W30 + Repco Z154 filter

IN: Penrite Vantage 10W40 (SN & A3/B4) + Wesfil - Cooper filter

So, oil change is done, Penrite Vantage 10w-40 (as mentioned above).

But my old stash has two 10W-40 oils, Valvoline DuraBlend (DB) and Penrite Vantage (PV).
Both are:
- Semi-synthetic 10W40
- API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B4

KV40 viscosity
DB = 103.0 cSt
PV = 94 cSt

KV100 viscosity
DB =15.1 cSt
PV = 13.5 cSt

Cold Cranking (CCS) at -25C
DB = 6100 cP
VP = 6899 cP

Now J300 says a 40 grade oil has a KV100 of 12.5 to 16.3 cSt
and 10W has a max cold cranking of 7000 cP at -25C.

The DuraBlend seems to have more typical values, similar to other 10W40 semi-synthetic oils I can find (like Castrol Magnatec 10W40)

So I find the Penrite Vantage interesting, it's KV100 viscosity is at the lower end and close to a 30 grade, yet the cold cranking is at the upper end and almost a 15W.

It's like this PV oil is not far away from a 15W30 with a heavy add pack (TBN = 11.0 and Zinc = 1220 ppm)

BTW the old M1 0W40 also had KV100 = 13.5 cSt (with TBN = 11.8, Zinc = 1100 ppm and HTHS = 3.8 cP)

I also spoke to Penrite today, and they confirmed that the Vantage is a Group II and Group III only blend (it contains no Group I - as is sometimes used by others), and that all Penrite semi-synthetics have a minimum of 20% Group III and possibly more depending on the actual product.

Just do it. For the time used you would have been done with it already. I hope you don't get paid by the hour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Just do it. For the time used you would have been done with it already. I hope you don't get paid by the hour.

Or that you get paid to read.....

Originally Posted By: SR5
So, oil change is done,

Originally Posted By: SR5

OUT: Mobil 1 5W30 + Repco Z154 filter

IN: Penrite Vantage 10W40 (SN & A3/B4) + Wesfil - Cooper filter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back