left a new filter out in the rain, still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
Oil floats on water so ENOUGH RAIN could displace the oil.
SO, How much rain did it see?
Does water effect (weaken) the media?
Is the glue used in oil filters water soluble?
My concern would be the glue (at least on the non-base end) just letting go.
You'd then have no filtering.

What would be cool to do is:
Let it dry completely. Take it indoors and blow a hair dryer on it for 15 minute on-offs for a day.
Install it and run it for 10 minutes. Include some revs.
Remove it, open it and post pictures.
Prepare for BITOG heroism.

oooh, now I wanna know
laugh.gif

I vote for "dump it out and use it immediately". Water is a common contaminate, especially up here in the northland. Cars used for days on end during winter on very short trips build up large amounts of water in the oil and the filter and elements are constructed of materials that withstand water.

I bet lots of you have seen cars with water running out of the exhaust pipe during winter, not?

A first use of 5 miles or more after reaching full temperature will dry your oil and filter out.

Sadly, you have already done $10 worth of worrying, so its break even either way!

Last edited:
I would dump the oil and as much water as I could from the filter, mount it and run it without worries. Or send it to me if it fits one of my cars, I will run it then cut it open and post photos.

Last edited:
So this filter and your oil change is still in limbo, awaiting the BITOG consensus? Or did you already press on with a verdict?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Oil floats on water so ENOUGH RAIN could displace the oil.
SO, How much rain did it see?
Does water effect (weaken) the media?
Is the glue used in oil filters water soluble?
My concern would be the glue (at least on the non-base end) just letting go.
You'd then have no filtering.

What would be cool to do is:
Let it dry completely. Take it indoors and blow a hair dryer on it for 15 minute on-offs for a day.
Install it and run it for 10 minutes. Include some revs.
Remove it, open it and post pictures.
Prepare for BITOG heroism.

cool it's a deal then...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So this filter and your oil change is still in limbo, awaiting the BITOG consensus? Or did you already press on with a verdict?

already did the oil change wither another filter... ill put this one on for a bit for science though.

Last edited:
I don't imagine that clean rainwater did anything to the filter media that pressurized oil wouldn't in its normal use. Pour it out, let it dry if you like, and use it later.

I don't recommend using an oil filter that has been compromised by water and dirt. Losing an M1 filter is a bunch cheaper than losing an engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Was this oil change done in "MacArthur Park"?
lol.gif

"MacArthur Park is melting in the dark ... All the sweet brown oil flowing down ... Someone left the filter out in the rain"
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Was this oil change done in "MacArthur Park"?
lol.gif

"MacArthur Park is melting in the dark ... All the sweet brown oil flowing down ... Someone left the filter out in the rain"
lol.gif

lol.gif
... yeah, it's the new BITOG hit song.

I'd use it. If it's already had oil in it, that's going to stop the water anyway. And besides that, I don't think the rain drops are strong enough to push the ADBV open.

Been away for a while.

Even if the water displaced the oil, no water got in the oil soaked media to affect it. Has anyone ever been able to clean greasy clothes with just water?
laugh.gif

Just empty out and let dry. Any remaining moisture / water will flush out and evaporate out next use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back