Lawn fertilizer question

Need to over seed my Orlando Fl area Bahai lawn. Thinking of trying to mix in some Bermuda seed. Was wondering do I need a:
16-4-8 or a 29-0-3 type fertilizer

My Michigan experience is no good to you. Maybe try to reach out to your Land Grant University of Florida in Gainesville and see if they have any home owner assistance. I found their site to be a bit difficult to navigate, but I know they have Ask IFAS and other resources:

https://turf.ifas.ufl.edu/

Many states have restrictions on phosphorous application (the second number in fert. label), so keep that in mind.

Basically you want something that has some of all 3 for new seed. If those are your only 2 options go with #1. Keep the soil moist all day for atleast 2 weeks. If the seed drys out its as good as dead

Need to over seed my Orlando Fl area Bahai lawn. Thinking of trying to mix in some Bermuda seed. Was wondering do I need a:
16-4-8 or a 29-0-3 type fertilizer
I'd try your local College that has a horticulture department. I'd also send in soil samples to give you a baseline.

I'd try your local College that has a horticulture department.
x2. For reasons I don’t entirely understand, state universities have excellent resources for homeowner’s landscaping. Maryland has a great website and responsive email address. All sorts of good info.

A starter fertilizer with an analysis of something like 12-18-6 or similar will help get the new seedlings off to a good start. Phosphorus is the key. Also, keeping the seed bed damp is important. Most lawn seeding failures are greatly impacted when the top layer dries out, killing the new seedling that have shallow root systems. Good luck.

A starter fertilizer with an analysis of something like 12-18-6 or similar will help get the new seedlings off to a good start. Phosphorus is the key. Also, keeping the seed bed damp is important. Most lawn seeding failures are greatly impacted when the top layer dries out, killing the new seedling that have shallow root systems. Good luck.
Agree Highest phosphate he can get which would be any that is labeled “Starter Fertilizer” brand = Scott’s or generic Virgro etc
I typically apply once or twice as part of my treatments during the growing season on my established Southern Grass as most all regular fertilizer no longer contains phosphate which is important for building roots and rhizomes

Last edited:
thelawnforum.com great place to ask your questions go to warm season grasses section. These guys know grass like Bob knows motor oil. I'm a cool season grass guy but I don't put any fertilizer down when I do a overseed until weeks later. New seed has enough nutrients to germinate within the seed itself. I don't spoon feed urea until my second cut of the new grass. If you put fertilizer and seed down at the same time your existing grass will take off with the nitrogen and out compete your new seedlings

Last edited:
Agree Highest phosphate he can get which would be any that is labeled “Starter Fertilizer” brand = Scott’s or generic Virgro etc
I typically apply once or twice as part of my treatments during the growing season on my established Southern Grass as most all regular fertilizer no longer contains phosphate which is important for building roots and rhizomes
Phosphate has been removed from fertilizer because it's poisonous to our drinking water lakes and ponds. You really shouldn't just fling around starter fertilizer because you think you need it. A simple soil test will tell you what your soil needs.

Phosphate has been removed from fertilizer because it's poisonous to our drinking water lakes and ponds. You really shouldn't just fling around starter fertilizer because you think you need it. A simple soil test will tell you what your soil needs.
Its not the drinking water its the run off into ponds and streams, that create algae blooms. It is not poisonous to you. It's literally what soap is. This is the most I can say, no politics allowed in here.
In fact I am almost sure on Long Island is maybe added to your drinking water to prevent corrosion to your water systems.

Ps, dont misunderstand me, my lawn treatments do not always include fertilizers with phosphates but I do include them around 2 times a year, the other times is non phosphate. The problem in some states is they banned it completely (except starter fertilizer) to reduce algae blooms in waterways. Maybe that isnt a bad thing since the public at large is clueless as to what they are putting down. But if the public knew not to use it every application it would not have had to be banned.

I mean the worst offenders of ground water pollution are golf courses but you can bet they will not regulate those ... (no need for me to state why)

Last edited:
Its not the drinking water its the run off into ponds and streams, that create algae blooms. It is not poisonous to you. It's literally what soap is. This is the most I can say, no politics allowed in here.
In fact I am almost sure on Long Island is maybe added to your drinking water to prevent corrosion to your water systems.
We both grew up on the great south bay the phosphorus and nitrogen run off from people obsessed with lawn fertilizer is slowly killing the waterways it's sad

We both grew up on the great south bay the phosphorus and nitrogen run off from people obsessed with lawn fertilizer is slowly killing the waterways it's sad
Yes, I agree! I updated my post, I didnt want you to think I am in denial of the issues.
Best time of my life, for decades, spent boating on the Great South Bay and Ocean Coastal areas of Jones Inlet and Fire Island Inlet.
Actually we used to meet our friends (as we got older) who moved to Suffolk county and would exit Jones Inlet and go into Fire Island inlet to avoid the congestion in the state channel at times. I spent a good 30+ years boating there. to repeat, some of the best times in our lives. Even before we owned our own boats, we spent the weekends on our parents boats, gosh from the time I could barely walk I think.

Long Island so developed now that it only makes sense to stop the incredible run off of chemicals into the bay. Sadly though, most people now have lawn services and I am sure they put down way more junk than they should as if they didnt, people would complain.

Still have the bay house can't give it up had to do a full rebuild after Sandy

IMG_20190704_145529274.jpg

IMG_20190704_145832024_HDR.jpg

Still have the bay house can't give it up had to do a full rebuild after Sandy

View attachment 202346

View attachment 202347
That is awesome. Man you must have great times there. Not kidding, there is no place like it, what a cool place to have and if I am correct, except for current owners impossible for anyone to own again? or something like that?

ALWAYS loved the back bays and some unmarked channels that you could literally water ski through at high tide.
I forgot the name of the "Cut" it used to be a shortcut from the state channel outside of Zach's though to the massapequa area of the bay or maybe it came out near the second Wantagh bridge, yes that was it second Wantagh bridge cut. Gosh, my memory is getting a little foggy on it. Something that "newer" boaters didnt know anything about. I think maybe there were at time time some old pole markers but once in the middle of the flats you were on your own.
IT was so peaceful in there, I could run through it wide open with any boat including our largest (decades back) a 28 FT Sea Ray at the time. Now we are back to a 18 ft Chaparral which is pretty much the size what I started with as a late teenager.

That is awesome. Man you must have great times there. Not kidding, there is no place like it, what a cool place to have and if I am correct, except for current owners impossible for anyone to own again? or something like that?

ALWAYS loved the back bays and some unmarked channels that you could literally water ski through at high tide.
I forgot the name of the "Cut" it used to be a shortcut from the state channel outside of Zach's though to the massapequa area of the bay or maybe it came out near the second Wantagh bridge, yes that was it second Wantagh bridge cut. Gosh, my memory is getting a little foggy on it. Something that "newer" boaters didnt know anything about. I think maybe there were at time time some old pole markers but once in the middle of the flats you were on your own.
IT was so peaceful in there, I could run through it wide open with any boat including our largest (decades back) a 28 FT Sea Ray at the time. Now we are back to a 18 ft Chaparral which is pretty much the size what I started with as a late teenager.
I can't legally can't sell the bay house but I can transfer to someone if I remember correctly it's a three year process. I'll leave it to my daughters let them enjoy. They take the train from Manhattan and take my boat on a Friday to spend the weekend out there my wife and I don't go often if we do it's on a weekday. I have since left the south shore I'm closer to the north shore I downsized about a decade ago after I sold the business and kids went off to college.

Back