Laundry Detergent Dispenser Calibration

My new LG washer has an automatic laundry detergent dispenser.

It works great….except folks forget that every brand of detergent specifies a slightly different quantity of detergent for the same size load.

Moral of the story: fill to the appropriate line on the detergent’s included dispensing cup and verify the quantity with a measuring cup.

View attachment 195523
…because you might be surprised:

View attachment 195522

And then you should adjust your dispenser accordingly:

View attachment 195524
Otherwise, wash performance may not be optimal.
My GE washer has an automatic detergent dispenser and you enter the exact detergent. Not just Tide but Tide Original or Tide Ultra. So it knows exactly how much for that particular detergent.

It saves a lot of wasted detergent. Wife use to measure by eye.

My GE washer has an automatic detergent dispenser and you enter the exact detergent. Not just Tide but Tide Original or Tide Ultra. So it knows exactly how much for that particular detergent.

It saves a lot of wasted detergent. Wife use to measure by eye.

Do you have to set that with the app? After an hour on the phone with tech support, we gave up getting it to connect to either of our phones, and I can't seem to find it on the front panel...

Do you have to set that with the app? After an hour on the phone with tech support, we gave up getting it to connect to either of our phones, and I can't seem to find it on the front panel...
I set it via the phone app on my Pixel phone. I think you can even scan the barcode to pickup the correct detergent.

I think it was relatively straight forward to connect the phone app to washer & dryer. That's how you select OK to update software on the washer & dryer.

Amongst our group of local friends and neighbors with kids.....5-6 years seems to be the average lifespan of the LG front loaders.
We were told by the people selling washers including LG that the LG & Samsung service is disorganized at least in Delaware. The local service guys don't like LG as they cannot order several possible parts and return the ones they don't need.

We were told by the people selling washers including LG that the LG & Samsung service is disorganized at least in Delaware. The local service guys don't like LG as they cannot order several possible parts and return the ones they don't need.

Lowe's and Home Depot have the selling floor setup based upon what the manufacturers pay them extra. So 1 GE and 10 LG as LG pays extra to have their washers & dryers on the selling floor.

I'm in the Julia style camp of cooking and measuring. None at all. I just lift the jug of detergent over the washer, depress the spigot button, swirl the liquid around the agitator and I'm done. Never had any issues.

Doesn’t mean it couldn’t be better. Chances are, you could be saving money.
Maybe I am if I the amount of detergent is less than the recommended amount. I don't know, but it doesn't bother me. It's a bit of a workout too, so there's a plus.

I set it via the phone app on my Pixel phone. I think you can even scan the barcode to pickup the correct detergent.

I think it was relatively straight forward to connect the phone app to washer & dryer. That's how you select OK to update software on the washer & dryer.
Our issue was we never could get the washer to connect to our WiFi.

We didn't try with the dryer-at least with Lowes when you buy a gas dryer with installation, it gets delivered by the gas installer and for us it was about a week and a half after the washer, then a few extra days tacked onto there because it didn't get communicated that we were stacking them and the gas installer sent a single person...

In any case, we first ended up on the phone with service because there was no password on the door sticker where everything said it should be. We got it connected by Bluetooth to our phones(we tried both) but it failed every time we tried to connect the washer to WiFi. At one point I even had our access point sitting next to it(we use TMobile 5G so I can move it around the house even though the 5G signal is best upstairs) and I dropped the router down to WPA/WPA2 security to try and get it. No luck so we just gave up, although you make me want to try again.

We didn't try with the dryer-at least with Lowes when you buy a gas dryer with installation, it gets delivered by the gas installer and for us it was about a week and a half after the washer, then a few extra days tacked onto there because it didn't get communicated that we were stacking them and the gas installer sent a single person...

In any case, we first ended up on the phone with service because there was no password on the door sticker where everything said it should be. We got it connected by Bluetooth to our phones(we tried both) but it failed every time we tried to connect the washer to WiFi. At one point I even had our access point sitting next to it(we use TMobile 5G so I can move it around the house even though the 5G signal is best upstairs) and I dropped the router down to WPA/WPA2 security to try and get it. No luck so we just gave up, although you make me want to try again.
On my GE you press the WIFI button on the machine and the phone app should connect (probably a direct connect WIFI) and then it will connect to the main WIFI. You can also enter the model and password of the GE washer and connect to it manually.

One way or another the GE washer will need to get the WIFI SSID and password in order to get set up.

I ran into that on something having T-Mobile 5G home internet.

Some devices, even new stuff, is still 2.4 only.

Copy & paste from Tmobile:
Some older devices and smart devices only connect to a Wi-Fi network using 2.4GHz frequency. For these devices, use the T-Mobile Internet app to set up separate networks. Check out our Tutorials or watch a video to learn more about creating separate Wi-Fi networks.

I have a 15+ year old LG front loader. It still works, though it's getting louder/more whiny as it ages. I just pour some soap in the soap tray, and I fill it to the max after a camping trip. It works

My wife gets laundry detergent from Buff City Soap. It's a powder detergent that they custom make with whatever scent you want from a pretty wide selection. It works well for most laundry and smells great. It's 2 tbsp per load. It's not the best for heavy stains so I keep a small jug of Purell around for that.

Things like a detergent dispenser in a washer, I don't get excited for stuff like that. This is especially true for things that require measuring. I don't trust the machine, I guess. Like in the OP though, some things can't be automated that easily due to variances in product specs.
I get custom scents by forgetting to not wash the clothes with diesel or

I bought a new washer and Homes Depot tried to tack on a $50 fee to take the old one and install the new.

Uh... no! Hell no!

I'll sell the old one for a few hundred $$.

I have had my old dishwasher in the back of my pickup and no one has stolen it. I may have to pay $12 at the transfer station to get rid of it.

One of the problems of living in a gated community.

I'm still trying to figure this one out:
PXL_20231230_172956856.jpg

Back