Laundry Detergent Dispenser Calibration

My new LG washer has an automatic laundry detergent dispenser.

It works great….except folks forget that every brand of detergent specifies a slightly different quantity of detergent for the same size load.

Moral of the story: fill to the appropriate line on the detergent’s included dispensing cup and verify the quantity with a measuring cup.

IMG_6926.jpeg

…because you might be surprised:

IMG_6928.jpeg

And then you should adjust your dispenser accordingly:

IMG_6927.jpeg

Otherwise, wash performance may not be optimal.

Fancy lol. Didn’t know the level varied by brand I just always put the same amount in as what mom originally showed me when I learned no matter the brand and I go from there or just throw in a pod. Our 2007 GE washing machine doesn’t have no fancy dispenser lol.

My Whirlpool has that, but not adjustable.

Stopped using it or buying liquid soap, it went through that stuff like it was candy!

I guess I don’t see the benefit of this if you run multiple soaps. I assume it’s one big dispenser that is filled up with a large quantity that gets metered out. But if you change soaps, how does that work?

I like our Bosch design where we can pour the detergent, powder or liquid (we tend to use Charlie’s soap) right into the water stream.

Laundry soaps tend to get gunky. It will be interesting to see how reliable this system is over the long term.

My new LG washer has an automatic laundry detergent dispenser.

It works great….except folks forget that every brand of detergent specifies a slightly different quantity of detergent for the same size load.

Moral of the story: fill to the appropriate line on the detergent’s included dispensing cup and verify the quantity with a measuring cup.

View attachment 195523
…because you might be surprised:

View attachment 195522

And then you should adjust your dispenser accordingly:

View attachment 195524
Otherwise, wash performance may not be optimal.
While you are learning the machine and detergents - might want to re wash a heavy load like towels with no soap - I have seen some suds up like you just got started …

We've taken to using the detergent sheets here. Seem to work well enough and no liquids or pods to deal with. Fit a lot more in a given space as well.
Wife just started that too. She showed me that it was this much for a small load, and this much for large. Why I’m not sure, as I’ve been expressly forbidden from using the thing, years before we were dating, she started doing my laundry and I haven’t since—apparently I’m just that bad at it.

I love the topic. I too wondered how much laundry product was dosed out by a machine's dispensing system.

However, I use the "How much suds (aka unused/wasted detergent) swirl about in the drain tub" method to determine soap dosage.

It's AMAZING how much Summer / work-out sweat kills soap.

ps
I'd never consider using a machine's thick, gooky product dispenser.
I reject the notion that they ever could cope with products' varying thickness. (Oh Heavens, another thick/thin debate)
Also, I can't imagine that they won't just gum up with time.

Never had I heard of adjustable product dispensers.
Just like Chrysler's in-car record player, the improvement to our lives is likely immeasurable.

My wife gets laundry detergent from Buff City Soap. It's a powder detergent that they custom make with whatever scent you want from a pretty wide selection. It works well for most laundry and smells great. It's 2 tbsp per load. It's not the best for heavy stains so I keep a small jug of Purell around for that.

Things like a detergent dispenser in a washer, I don't get excited for stuff like that. This is especially true for things that require measuring. I don't trust the machine, I guess. Like in the OP though, some things can't be automated that easily due to variances in product specs.

Wouldnt the amount of soap used ......be determined by the amount of water used . Say Large vs Small load size .

Funny enough, we have a 2 month old(or so) GE washer/dryer set that has this.

I'm not sure if it allows changing the dispense amount, but it also specifies Tide on the reservoir lid. Conveniently enough, that's what we have always used(albeit the "clear" version, so I should check and see if it's the same...). I should check, though, and see if it can be changed.

One fill seems to last forever. The drawer has to be opened to add softener, bleach, or whatever else so I do check it periodically but have yet to have it run out. I try to use the appropriate wash cycle for what's actually in it, and it stuff does seem to come out as clean if not cleaner than our old GE top loader.

I remember when the product "Surf" came out. They required twice as much product as other brands.

No automated dispensing for me. One less thing to maintain or go wrong with my machine. I am resistant to "convenience" technology.

We've taken to using the detergent sheets here. Seem to work well enough and no liquids or pods to deal with. Fit a lot more in a given space as well.
Seems pricey compared to the usual Costco liquid option, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

I guess I don’t see the benefit of this if you run multiple soaps. I assume it’s one big dispenser that is filled up with a large quantity that gets metered out. But if you change soaps, how does that work?
There is a slot to manually add detergent for a single load if you need to use something different

While you are learning the machine and detergents - might want to re wash a heavy load like towels with no soap - I have seen some suds up like you just got started …
I usually do 2 rinses.

I love the topic. I too wondered how much laundry product was dosed out by a machine's dispensing system.

However, I use the "How much suds (aka unused/wasted detergent) swirl about in the drain tub" method to determine soap dosage.

It's AMAZING how much Summer / work-out sweat kills soap.

ps
I'd never consider using a machine's thick, gooky product dispenser.
I reject the notion that they ever could cope with products' varying thickness. (Oh Heavens, another thick/thin debate)
Also, I can't imagine that they won't just gum up with time.

Never had I heard of adjustable product dispensers.
Just like Chrysler's in-car record player, the improvement to our lives is likely immeasurable.
I have had this machine for over a year, no build-up or "goop" issues. I think the goop issues are from fabric softener.

Wouldnt the amount of soap used ......be determined by the amount of water used . Say Large vs Small load size .
Yes, which is why we only run the washer when we have a certain quantity of clothes.

You should pull out the detergent drawer once a month and clean the inside, mold likes to grow in there.

View attachment 195577
I have checked - no issues.

I remember when the product "Surf" came out. They required twice as much product as other brands.

No automated dispensing for me. One less thing to maintain or go wrong with my machine. With age I've become resistant to "convenience" technology.
These front loaders are a disposable item anyway - they rarely last more than 5-6 years. I might as well get the features I want.

Back