Kubota ck4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I agree with Matt.

For older diesel engines the CJ-4 is a great product.

Yeah, suppose it is. If the price point is good also. But I have been using CK-4 rated oil in a Detroit 12.7L pre-egr engine this year and it is doing just fine also. On it's third load of CK-4 oil in the engine and will get changed in a couple of weeks.

It will be great to see the UOAs from your first 2 oil changes that are doing fine.

I am sure many people will have similar experience but the fact remains the API CK-4 was a response to the needs of newer diesels and not as an intentional improvement for older diesels. The end goal was not, "Listen guys, we need to figure out a way to improve lubrication of CJ-4 for older vehicles in an effort to keep them in service".
It was, "Listen guys, we need to figure out a way to make engine oil compatible with newer trucks and equipment and make it quit destroying newer vehicle emission equipment like CJ-4 is currently doing".

OFcourse, we all will be saying, "Yep, have run CK-4 in my older diesel engines and they haven't blown up" as CJ-4 stocks continue to be depleted but I don't see a reason to switch if I can get ahold of CJ-4 at an equal or lesser price since its been doing great in my diesel equipment and on-road vehicles for many years.

Why does CK-4 provide such better protection? What is this new chemistry promising 50% better wear protection in some instances? Maybe it does what they say but why don't they say how? Why can't we see the reason for this improved lubrication on a VOA or UOA? Its not an increase in traditional additives such as Phosphorus, Zinc, Moly.

That is a question I am hoping someone will answer here on BITOG.

Thanks.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but the CK-4 oils blended with the lower phosphorus and zinc, also have ashless chemistry that we can't see in the basic analysis available to us. I happen to be using Delo XLE 10W30 (CK-4) that meets the API SN requirements and I'm trusting that Chevron didn't take shortcuts in their development and testing. Chevron has said that their mixture of ashless anti-wear and the traditional phos/zinc has shown better results in testing.

The main things that I remember reading during the development of CK-4 was a goal of improved oxidation stability (for hotter running engines and longer oci's), better shear stability (better wear protection), and better aeration control. I think better exhaust treatment protection was a bonus, but I don't recall it being a focus. I may be forgetting, though.

I can tell you that Detroit Diesel has bumped up the oci recommendation for their DD series of engines. In OTR use, the recommendation for CJ-4 (Detroit 93K218 spec), is 50k miles or 1280 hours (whichever comes first). With CK-4 (93K222 spec), I can go 55k-65k miles (depending on fuel economy) with no hours listed (at least not yet). I could even run the FA-4 oils if I wanted to.

I'm not aware of CJ-4 causing problems in the exhaust treatment of heavy duties. I've had a few DPF's cleaned and all was well. No trouble with the trucks and the DPF's were in good shape so cleaning wasn't a problem. CJ-4 caused a lot of hand wringing and many stocked up on CI-4+ for fear of the "weak oil" that was on the way. It turned out fine (at least in heavy duty diesels). If the pickup trucks and medium duty trucks are having problems with the after treatment, I'd guess that it's from a lack of load generated heat.

Thanks for the input everyone. I won't be getting a super deal, in fact I'll end up paying about a dollar more per gallon than what conventional delo usually runs at Walmart.

Reason I'm willing to do so is my local 2 walmarts are out of cj4 15w40 oils as far as I've seen. Has anyone had several consecutive uoa's done on ck4?

I just like that cj4 oils typically have comparably high levels of known additives (zinc/moly etc). I gather the ck4 is supposed to have substituted the conventional additives for other additives, but I guess I want to buy some time to figure out the best ck4 when I'm out of cj4. Hopefully there will be a good bit of analysis and extended drain tests by then

Originally Posted By: CT8
You work at a Kubota dealer ,find out your self my goodness.

You would be surprised to know what it's like working at a dealership. Oil knowledge is very limited, even with OEM tech support. Oil is oil to most people unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
CK4 has a little weaker add pack, to keep from poisoning the Diesel particulate filter and catalytic converter.

How so? SA and P limits didn't budge.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
CK4 has a little weaker add pack, to keep from poisoning the Diesel particulate filter and catalytic converter.

How so? SA and P limits didn't budge.

And we are not privy to what else they are using in the add pack that doesn't show up in the normal analysis we are used to. To blanket say that the add pack is weaker is an assumption based on lack of information.

Yes, and I didn't see anything more "permissive" in the any of the relevant categories in the ACEA changes that went along, either. If anyone is really worried about the removal of the SN waiver on the 30 grades, wait until that happens to the 40 grades and watch the monumental confusion that will surround the Euro 40 grades. All they'll have to do is the same thing, yank the SN and carry on, but that's a technical solution, and not a marketing solution. Of course, the rally and cry will be about technical matters, though, when the people are only placated by an actual marketing solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back