Kia Rio, rear rotor retaining screw stripped....,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact worked GREAT! They came right out. However, the pads on the other side didn't look too bad. I put all new pads and rotors on, bled brake lines, buttoned her up and went for a ride. Everything seemed good, but when I got back, just touching the caliper on passenger side rear was HOT! The other side was barely warm. Caliper?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Same here. Every 10k miles roughly I strip andclean the brakes on the front. The rears go longer between cleaning. Last week I inspected the front brakes and decided to remove the aluminium calipers from the aluminium upright held in by the steel bolts as it'll be 10 years before I wearthrough my front brake pads if the wear rate upto now continues. All lubed now. The disc might or might not need replacing by that time. so far the pads + discs lost about 2mm in over 3 years of use...

My wife drives 25k/year, and I drive 25-30k. So my twice per year is about the same.

Ironically it's the rear pads I have the worst luck with. They are seemingly always stuck--unless if I redo every six months. If I go a full year then they are either stuck or quite sticky.

Am waiting to see how it goes on my truck, it might be the first vehicle I've owned to not go 100k on pads.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Impact worked GREAT! They came right out. However, the pads on the other side didn't look too bad. I put all new pads and rotors on, bled brake lines, buttoned her up and went for a ride. Everything seemed good, but when I got back, just touching the caliper on passenger side rear was HOT! The other side was barely warm. Caliper?

Could be, but I wouldn't have thought at this age.

When you put the caliper on, did it slide "easily" over the pads, or did it take force? I had a vehicle once that the new pads were oversized or something, and I wound up sanding down the pads with 60 grit to remedy the situation.

Just to verify: did you try to bed the brakes? Were the two front rotors warm or hot? Just to verify that you didn't have a bubble in the OTHER caliper.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776

Could be, but I wouldn't have thought at this age.

When you put the caliper on, did it slide "easily" over the pads, or did it take force? I had a vehicle once that the new pads were oversized or something, and I wound up sanding down the pads with 60 grit to remedy the situation.

Just to verify: did you try to bed the brakes? Were the two front rotors warm or hot? Just to verify that you didn't have a bubble in the OTHER caliper.

I had turned the caliper all the way back and it seemed to go over the pads fine. I didn't bed the brakes, just drove normal, slowing gradually to a stop the first few miles. No hard stops at all. Front rotor were warm, but equally. Nothing abnormal to me. Maybe I should bleed more? Bubble somewhere? Thanks for all your help.

Everything seemed to line up fine. I called dealership, waiting on call back. I appreciate all the help guys. Curious what they will say......

Just got back from dealership. Really nice Service Manager and technicians. They pulled both rear wheels and did a complete inspection and testing of brake system. They said everything appeared to be fine with calipers. The service manager went ahead and ordered another caliper just to be on the safe side. Everything covered under warranty. As a side note, they were having their Christmas luncheon and the service manager invited me to have lunch with them. Very good customer service. Props to the Service Department at Crossroads Kia in Indian Trail, NC!

Yep, the HFT impact screw driver has gotten me out of a few jambs with these retaining screws.

To me, rears wear faster due to all the road grime they get bombarded with and the fact they're smaller and less heavy-duty than fronts.

Take the screws out and throw them away. They are not needed in the real world, only for assembly.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Take the screws out and throw them away. They are not needed in the real world, only for assembly.

I went ahead and anti-seized the heck out of them and re-installed.

On my Accent the rear drums had one screw but there were two screw holes in the hub, one in the drum.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
the holes in the drum are threaded 2mm bigger so you can use them to push the drum off.
Same with the rotor right?

Update: just gof caliper changed out by dealer. Everything seems oK now. I'll check pads a couple oil changes from now to monitor how they are doing. Thanks everyone for all your help
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back