Keep those headlight lenses clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sounds good, but how long do you think such huge glass lenses would last in service?

The Audi 200 I had before had such glass lenses. Someone put some protectant film over them, which did help save them, and it hadn't yellowed. The flaw on that vehicle was the inner reflector paint all flaked off, so I had to replace the assemblies anyhow, despite the glass being perfect. The replacement was a very easy job, albeit pricey.

Sealed beam lighting isn't as poor as we like to think it is. For making you be able to see what you actually need to see at night, a new halogen sealed beam properly aimed is difficult to beat. A number of studies have been done in the collision analyst literature, and they do quite well.

Of course, modern lighting does quite well, too, even better, but as you said, proper manufacture and maintenance are the key. If they aren't built to last or aren't taken care of, there will be problems that can easily become too overwhelming to fix. My G37's headlights aren't ideal; they were a bit of a mess when I got the vehicle. I either have to do a fair bit of work to recondition them, or spend a large amount of money and do a fair bit of work to replace them. On the F-150, you take a hammer to my headlights, I'm up and running $15 and 15 minutes later, better than it rolled off the assembly line, considering I'd use a halogen sealed beam and they didn't come that way from Ford.

The most "visible" improvement I've seen from current headlights is that there are far, far fewer out of aim examples on the road, since so many people changing headlights for some reason could not discern between a mounting screw and an aiming screw.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I would honestly pay a premium for glass lenses if it was a option

Me too!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: grampi
Not only keeping them clean, but also keeping the lenses CLEAR is just as important. My lenses were cloudy looking, so I restored them using a 3M restoration kit. Now about once every couple of months or so I go over them by hand using Mequiar's 105 polish to keep them clear. Keeping them clean and clear really makes a big difference with night time vision...

I hope you put some protection on them. Blue Magic headlight sealant is good.

To be honest, I haven't tried Blue Magic....I have tried a few other things, but it seems just as easy to polish them every few months...

Quote:
You have headlight wipers but no headlamp washers?

Mine only has headlamp washers and has a weird system where it only sprays the headlamps when the headlights are on and after 5-10 squirts of windshield wiper fluid. I try to get the ice off the doors to the headlamp washers, I wonder if it'd break if they were frozen over, but don't want to find out.

OEM is a wiper motor and a washer spray. Motor units are unreliable. Gears strip and the park sensors go bad meaning they stop in weird places or will run all the time and never stop. I disabled the failed motors, but I'm trying to rig up a sprayer so it can at least rinse the lenses with fluid. Replacing the wipers would be ideal, but that is time consuming and expensive. Bugs will be a problem in the summer, but they don't block light nearly as much as a layer of salt grime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back