Kawasaki FC401v Oil and oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an eXmark 48" walk behind mower. I believe it's a 2000 model. Anyways, it has a Kawi FC401v 13hp engine on it. I am wanting to change the oil and filter on it. Already did the hydro oil the other day. I only found one filter for it, a K&N KN-128. Are there any alternatives? I've had good luck with putting FL910 filters on Kohler engines, but never had a Kawi! Also, oil. What would you guys suggest? 10w-30 or sae30? Something else? It didn't come with any kind of owner's manual. Thanks!

If you know for sure the kn-128 will work I would look at the 4967 size/crosses....its basically the same as a 3614 which fits most of the ope twins but a little smaller.....other guys have also said here the 4967 is closer to the kawasaki oem size... http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/K-N/KN-128

Imho ope doesnt need a $$$$$ oil filter..find something cheap and plentiful and sleep good at night
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DSparks
If you know for sure the kn-128 will work I would look at the 4967 size/crosses....its basically the same as a 3614 which fits most of the ope twins but a little smaller.....other guys have also said here the 4967 is closer to the kawasaki oem size... http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/K-N/KN-128

Imho ope doesnt need a $$$$$ oil filter..find something cheap and plentiful and sleep good at night
smile.gif

Thanks for the link! That gives me a few lower cost options. That's exactly what I was looking for thanks!

Oil recommendation: 10w30 Rotella T5 or your favorite diesel brand oil, or 15w40 are great choices. Using any API approved 10w30, 10w40, and 20w50 are acceptable per Kawi's oil recommendations. If you want to go synthetic Rotella T6 5w40 or your favorite diesel oil brand, or any of the Mobil 1 High Mileage. Using any API approved 5w30, 10w30, 0w40, 10w40, 5w50, 15w50 synthetic would be ok.

Rotella T 10w-30 (or the T5 10w-30 synthetic blend) is an excellent choice for the Kawasaki engines. I have nearly 3000 hours on one, and 1300 on another.

For an oil filter, I use $4 filters.... Purolator Classic (now discontinued), NAPA ProSelect, O'Reilly MicroGard.

Austinlunsford,

In my Kawi powered commercial equipment, when running diesel conventional oil I use 15/40 of any variety including Supertech. That oil is the best value/compromise for guaranteed protection and long engine life. In a synthetic I prefer Mobil1 5/30 or 10/30. Holds up to the heat, stays clean much longer, and you will notice a slight improvement in engine performance. This oil in my experience guarantees maximum engine life and protection. 5 quart jug at Wal-mart costs 23.99-27.99. Go to the Wix filter site and cross reference your filter. All Kawasaki engines take the same filter. I use Microgard filters from O'reillys as they are made by Wix. Are you mowing your grass only or starting a mowing business? Here are a few tips for long engine life and mower dependability. Check the oil level every morning before the engine is started and ran for the day. Add oil if needed regardless of how little. Keep the air filter clean. That doesn't mean check it once a month. Check it daily. Grease the castors before each days use, this will prevent them from wallering out. Keep a sharp set of spare blades with you at all times and the tools to change them. Never know when you will hit something and bend a blade. Check your belts at the beginning of the season. If starting to crack or worse, change them out immediately. If you have not checked the hydro belt, I suggest you do so. It is likely the original belt. Don't go cheap on belts. Buy Kevlar belts if you can. Put Green Slime in the rear tires and put solids on the front. Make sure all Zerk fittings have been greased, especially the Zerks on the deck. Keep a small supply of oil and air filters, and foam pre filters on hand in your garage. Exmark is one of my favorite mowers. They stripe pretty and are well engineered. Good machine. Good Luck!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back