K&P stainless steel oil filters.

Some filter makers, for advertising purposes, will say "Filters down to x microns" even it the filter catches only a super low percentage of particles at x microns.

No different for Microgreen saying their filter "Filters down to 2 microns". If it filtered 0.1% of particles at 2u then they might make that claim to attract sales.
Yup, that's the difference between absolute and nominal. I emailed Amsoil and Fram and both claim their numbers are absolute, which is way better than nominal. I know some companies use nominal to make them look better.👎 That's why it's best to inquire.

According to their website, the media is designed to filter down to 35 microns:
This part (cut & paste below) in the FAQs is off. 1) A filter with an ADBV is going to hold more oil in the filter than one with no ADBV. I did a test on a PureOne and it held all the oil in the filter for a week. 2) The ADBV doesn't inhibit flow enough to even matter, and a filter without an ADBV is not going to slow the flow or the build up of oil pressure under the same start-up conditions. Same goes with a filter that has slightly more flow resistance. People don't seem to fully understand the function of a positive displacement oil pump in an oiling system.

11) Why don’t you have an Anti Drain back Valve?
Many filters have a rubber flap over the intake holes that is an attempt to keep oil in the filter and minimize the time it takes to fill the filter when you start the engine (they call it an anti-drain back valve). A test you can perform to see how well this “valve” works is to fill a filter with oil, plug the large center spin on hole with a bolt, lay it on it’s side and then see how long it takes for the oil to drain past the rubber flap. We have found (and have read other published tests) that the filter eventually ends up with the same amount of oil in it as if it didn’t have the flap, it just takes longer to drain out. If the flap worked as planned it would be beneficial to have the extra oil in the filter at start up. On the other hand, that flap covering the intake holes is one more restriction the oil has to get by to get through the filter and back to the motor. All of our testing shows the K&P Engineering filter with it’s ultra low resistance to flow builds oil pressure in the engine components faster than a paper filter that has the anti drain back.

Yup, that's the difference between absolute and nominal. I emailed Amsoil and Fram and both claim their numbers are absolute, which is way better than nominal. I know some companies use nominal to make them look better.👎 That's why it's best to inquire.
Yep ... "Nominal" means at 50% efficiency and "Absolute" means at 98.7% efficiency (call it 99% for all practical purposes).

Efficiency can also be shown as xx% @ xx microns (ie, 95% @ 20u or 96% @ 35u, etc) ... which is neither Nominal or Absolute.

Last edited:
You pointed out wrongly. The Microgreen filtered down to 2 microns meant everything 2 or larger in cross section during impact was filtered by the disk. Not that there was a random 2 micron catch now and then. You want that, but it is not that.
As far as surface capturing it has always been a cellular plant fiber can grab the tiniest of particles, where with a smooth glass or plastic synthetic fiber, the particles likely shed off. And yes a window screen can catch 2 micron particles here and there, and so?
No that’s not what they said.

So you're still telling me the oil filter is **** compared to regular spin ons? So the oil analysis I've been doing with this filter showing low wear metals etc are deceiving? Please explain yourself here....
Make stuff up much? A $30 spectrographic analysis with particle count is not the same as a filtering efficiency test nor is it an appropriate substitute. That’s what I said, not that the filter “is **** compared to regular spin on” whatever **** means exactly.

People constantly try to pull stuff out of a UOA bag that just isn’t there.

This part (cut & paste below) in the FAQs is off. 1) A filter with an ADBV is going to hold more oil in the filter than one with no ADBV. I did a test on a PureOne and it held all the oil in the filter for a week. 2) The ADBV doesn't inhibit flow enough to even matter, and a filter without an ADBV is not going to slow the flow or the build up of oil pressure under the same start-up conditions. Same goes with a filter that has slightly more flow resistance. People don't seem to fully understand the function of a positive displacement oil pump in an oiling system.

11) Why don’t you have an Anti Drain back Valve?
Many filters have a rubber flap over the intake holes that is an attempt to keep oil in the filter and minimize the time it takes to fill the filter when you start the engine (they call it an anti-drain back valve). A test you can perform to see how well this “valve” works is to fill a filter with oil, plug the large center spin on hole with a bolt, lay it on it’s side and then see how long it takes for the oil to drain past the rubber flap. We have found (and have read other published tests) that the filter eventually ends up with the same amount of oil in it as if it didn’t have the flap, it just takes longer to drain out. If the flap worked as planned it would be beneficial to have the extra oil in the filter at start up. On the other hand, that flap covering the intake holes is one more restriction the oil has to get by to get through the filter and back to the motor. All of our testing shows the K&P Engineering filter with it’s ultra low resistance to flow builds oil pressure in the engine components faster than a paper filter that has the anti drain back.
Yeah, their bit on flow there is pretty wild too, lol.

I keep trying to blow my Harley engine up so I can get a bigger S&S engine in it but it just won't do it. I guess my Schaeffer Extreme V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic plus oil and K&P reusable oil filter are doing their part in preventing this from happening?😂 Should I maybe switch to an Orange Fram PH filter and some Fram conventional oil?

They run these K&P oil filters in a lot in general aviation engines. My buddy is an aircraft mechanic and sees them all the time. I wonder what that means?

They run these K&P oil filters in a lot in general aviation engines. My buddy is an aircraft mechanic and sees them all the time. I wonder what that means?
As someone who has worked in aviation for the past 27 years or so I’d say nothing. There’s very little that is as behind the times as GA. People get googly-eyed when told “it’s on an airplane” or “it’s FAA approved!”

If the claim of absolute efficiency of 35 microns is true, then it's basically the same efficiency at a mediocre typical cellulose media filter at 35u. Thing is though, I bet it lets way more particles below 35u through than a regular cellulose media filter rated at 99% @ 35u. With a wire mesh filter, they efficiency below 35u should fall off super fast (almost like a step function), unlike how a cellulose media filter drops off efficiency.

How many hours of run time is it recommended to change the oil and filter on an airplane? And about how many miles does that equate to on a typical passenger car if the avg speed over the OCI is say 30 MPH.

If the claim of absolute efficiency of 35 microns is true, then it's basically the same efficiency at a mediocre typical cellulose media filter at 35u. Thing is though, I bet it lets way more particles below 35u through than a regular cellulose media filter rated at 99% @ 35u. With a wire mesh filter, they efficiency below 35u should fall off super fast, unlike how a cellulose media filter drops off efficiency.
Isn't that better than the old style 15,000 mi Purolator Boss I'm currently running on my 2022 Subaru Crosstrek?😂 I think the "new" 20,000mi Boss is 99% absolute at 25 microns but I thought I saw somewhere the old Boss filters were @40 microns.😳

Don't get me wrong, though they do make them for these applications, you won't see me putting a K&P on my new Crosstrek or my Dodge diesel truck but like I said I've been very happy with how it has done on my Harley. I never would have expected my Harley engine to last as long as it has. I run it hard every time I ride it. Could very well have nothing to do with the oil and oil filter and everything to do with the beefed up internals.

How many hours of run time is it recommended to change the oil and filter on an airplane? And about how many miles does that equate to on a typical passenger car if the avg speed over the OCI is say 30 MPH.
And what’s the TBO on an aircraft piston engine?

Isn't that better than the old style 15,000 mi Purolator Boss I'm currently running on my 2022 Subaru Crosstrek?😂 I think the "new" 20,000mi Boss is 99% absolute at 25 microns but I thought I saw somewhere the old Boss filters were @40 microns.😳
Thing is, if the efficiency falls off very fast on a mesh screen filter that's 99% @ 35μ (which it probably does because the screen window size is fixed), then it can let a lot of debris below 35μ through the screen. Where as, on a high efficiency (99% @ 20μ) filter it will filter quite a bit of the particles below 35μ and 20μ. Engine wear studies show that the most wear is from particles 20μ and smaller.

If I had a race car that got oil changes quite often (like every 50 - 100 miles), I'd probably use a screen mesh filter for the low delta-p vs flow factor.

Last edited:
ISO 4548-12 efficiency curves of some popular synthetic media oil filters in the link below. Some fall off in efficiency way faster than others as the particle size gets smaller. Also, the filters that fall off fast lost more efficiency as the filter loads up and the increased delta-p causes already captured debris to slough off and go down stream.

As Overkill mentioned earlier, it would be real interesting to see some steel mesh filters ran through the same testing. Does K&P reference an efficiency test method that they used to come up with the 35μ absolute efficiency?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ow-bubble-point-and-burst.334882/post-5789087

Last edited:
ISO 4548-12 efficiency curves of some popular synthetic media oil filters in the link below. Some fall off in efficiency way faster than others as the particle size gets smaller. Also, the filters that fall off fast lost more efficiency as the filter loads up and the increased delta-p causes already captured debris to slough off and go down stream.

As Overkill mentioned earlier, it would be real interesting to see some steel mesh filters ran through the same testing. Does K&P reference an efficiency test method that they used to come up with the 35μ absolute efficiency?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ow-bubble-point-and-burst.334882/post-5789087
I'm assuming the Amsoil equivalent oil filter, which unfortunately wasn't tested here would or should perform similar to the Fram as they are both rated at 99% @ 20 microns? I ordered 6 Amsoil EAO17 filters when I ordered my Baxter Performance unit, mainly due to the bypass psi being more inline (18-24psi)with the Subaru spec of 23psi vs the Fram which is 16-28psi. Yeah I know it's splitting hairs but I was placing an Amsoil preferred customer oil order anyways so I tacked on the oil filters to the order. Everything I've seen seems to indicate that the Amsoil oil filters are similar to the Frams in terms of efficiency and quality. Price being the main difference. I paid $17/filer for the Amsoil filters.

Back