just installed a Frantz tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
and i was under the impression that the return would be cleaner than what it is. a brief history of car. 96 toyota 4runner 3.4 liter V6 126,000 miles has aprox 5k on mobil 1 syn. i installed the unit under the driver seat (under the car) the only space for it. anyway the return is routed to the oil filler cap and was able to see the flow of oil, boy does this thing get HOT!!!. i am kinda worried about the reving of the engine and knowing that the flow increases a good bit (two fold worry) (1) can the TP hold up to this punishment,the added press and flow. (2) hoping that the return location (filler cap) will hold up to the added flow of a reving engine ( passing, and generally screwing off), not the cap but the location.

Ralph this is where you step in and give your assurance that all will be ok
grin.gif

i tell ya the folks at work tore me a new arse when they found out about this contraption that i was putting on my car. cant tell ya just how red my face was, (pissed that is) i just hope that they are wrong, i too was leary about the use of TP in an engine oil system, iv'e surfed for about a year on the net finding out all i coul about this type of filtration and all of the conclusions tell me its alright, but i'm still kinda
confused.gif

i know what you're saying "why did you install this when you have all these worries" one word CHEAP i cant stand to spend money needlessly, so the thought of a system that could eliminate droping of oil really intrigued me, not to mention a real cheap filter element

so please share with me your opinions about my install (even though you can't see it)
grin.gif

Keith

[ July 17, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

The Frantz will only flow about 1 quart a minute at highway speeds once the oil is at operating speeds. The oil outlet to the cap is the outer connection. The input is the center.
The oil flows up the center tube to the top of the TP. As the oil flows down through the TP it is restricted by the .040 hole in the outlet. So the pressure has no adverse effect on the TP. The unit is receiving crankcase oil so the temp of the Frantz cannister will be very hot at operating temps.
If you did not change the oil during the install, the oil will be cleaned with use of the filter, but the color will remain dark and is normal. I would change the first filter at 1K, then go to 3K intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by instigator:
and i was under the impression that the return would be cleaner than what it is. a brief history of car. 96 toyota 4runner 3.4 liter V6 126,000 miles has aprox 5k on mobil 1 syn. i installed the unit under the driver seat (under the car) the only space for it. anyway the return is routed to the oil filler cap and was able to see the flow of oil, boy does this thing get HOT!!!. i am kinda worried about the reving of the engine and knowing that the flow increases a good bit (two fold worry) (1) can the TP hold up to this punishment,the added press and flow. (2) hoping that the return location (filler cap) will hold up to the added flow of a reving engine ( passing, and generally screwing off), not the cap but the location.

Ralph this is where you step in and give your assurance that all will be ok
grin.gif

i tell ya the folks at work tore me a new arse when they found out about this contraption that i was putting on my car. cant tell ya just how red my face was, (pissed that is) i just hope that they are wrong, i too was leary about the use of TP in an engine oil system, iv'e surfed for about a year on the net finding out all i coul about this type of filtration and all of the conclusions tell me its alright, but i'm still kinda
confused.gif

i know what you're saying "why did you install this when you have all these worries" one word CHEAP i cant stand to spend money needlessly, so the thought of a system that could eliminate droping of oil really intrigued me, not to mention a real cheap filter element

so please share with me your opinions about my install (even though you can't see it)
grin.gif

Keith

I have one in my car, ...don't worry about the TP disinagrating....I change my filter every 2-3000 mile..I have gone as long as 30000 miles without a full drain..and UOA has shown that I could have gone farther...tell your friends to get educated before they become judgmental...

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000140#000024

my UAO.

thanks deep for the support. i have probably seen your post and a whole slew of others praising and condeming the TP filters. they were helpfull in my decision to get the TP filter setup.

as for the guys at work, they are what i like to call sheeple. they follow the pack to what they precieve the norm is and ridicule the ones that break from the norm, the no4rm usually what is fed them thru the media, and other propaganda outlets like manufacturers(oil, cars, etc..)

sorry for the rant but you get the drift.

getting back to the filter, i noticed tonight that the mobil 1 is dark in color from the bottle (duh shoulda known that since ive used this oil for a while now)
now im kinda concerned about the mounting. i mounted it in a hanging fashion so that the canister is on the bottom and the unit is mounted way lower that the return line, thinking that this is going to be messy every 2-3k miles.

I had to suspend mine with plastic ties to the radiator fan shroud..it dumps some oil everytime...but I just change the TP at the carwash and hose off the mess ....I got a clean engine.

BTW Tell the guys at work to put a roll of TP into a can of oil....have them tell you when it has dissinagrated...boy will they be waiting a long time
smile.gif

Hi Keith,

You did good getting a Frantz. I would have been highly p____d if you had gotten a less effective filter with expensive elements. There is some junk out there. You have to be street wise or you will get taken to the cleaners. My guess is the oil will turn clear on the dipstick as soon as the Frantz cleans the oil and the oil cleans the engine.
I have a letter from the a Marion Co. Sheriffs Dept in Salem, Oregon that is 10 years old. They had been using the Frantz for 20 years. They had settled on changing the Frantz every two to three thousand miles and the full flow filter once a year. No actual oil drains. I was changing my Frantz every 12,000 on the 84 Subaru using Mobil 1 15-50. A lab told me if I was going to go 12,000 miles between filter changes I should probably drain the oil every 50,000 miles. I change the Motor Guard M-30 every 4,000 miles on my 87 Camry four. 3,000 about right for the V6. Back in the 60's Motor Guard recommended the first filter change at 1,000 miles. Every 2,000 miles or 60 days after that. Some filter makers claim that you can go farther between filter changes with theirs. They forget to tell you your wear rate will also be higher. Use a good strong firm roll of TP make sure the core is round not egg shaped. The seal at the bottom has to cut into the paper around the core to make a seal. TP filters were designed for 1 1/2" ID paper. The new stuff is 1 5/8 ID. The Motor Guard seals inside the core so I have to turn 1 5/8 OD seals on a engine lathe. Motor Guard and Frantz came out with 1 2/2" elements of their own instead of changing the filters.
Back in the 60's I was installing a Frantz on a 63 Dodge 318 for an uncle. His brother drove up in his Oldsmobile and said you should have told me you wanted a Frantz I would have given you mine. It isn't working. My oil is dirty and my lifters are rattling. My uncle said when did you change it last. He said change it? The guy that I bought it from said it would last a lifetime.
rolleyes.gif

Ralph

thanks Ralph i kenw you'd be here in no time. i went with the frantz only because it was on ebay and it was a cheap buy $80 nos i want to get another on for my wifes car, i'm sorta under the impression that you may have some either nos or very good used ones that you would sell. want the frantz to stay uniform. any way i took out the element the other day w/100 miles (curiosity was killing me) and every thing looked normal, so now i'm convinced in these 60s technological marvels. **** i will probably put one on my 944 (finding space is the challenge). but any who if you could get back to me about the used or nos filters that would be great.

on another note you said that the toilet paper companies had switched there dia. of the tube to a larger dia. but i got some scott 1000 as sugested and it was nice and snug around the inner tube of the unit. so snug in fact the element stayed on the unit when pulling the canister down even pulling the kepper ring off. i have however noticed that some other brands of TP do have an enormous tube, and even trial fitted one to see if it would seal. i wasnt real happy with it, and thought for a while (until i bought the scott) that i was headed in the wrong direction with the nos unit. now faith has been restored as you can see.

oh yeh i took the used element to work to show my co-workers, some of the nay sayers were kinda shocked that it held up, and mabey convinced a couple to try one for themselves.

[ July 19, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: instigator ]

Instigator,
People do a lot of assuming. Everyone at work knows that I have Frantz, Motor Guard and Gulf Coast filters on the equipment. Some know I have Gulf Coast filters on the bosses 41 ft Chris Craft boat. I was installing a 0-1 jr on the bosses new GMC pickup out in the parking lot. A guy stopped and asked me if the paper would break down and get into the oil.
rolleyes.gif

I do have some filters I am clearing out. I don't need three kinds of filters. The only Frantz filters I have are still in use and they are old.
I have testimonial letters from pilots that have them on aircraft. Frantz got FAA and PMA approval in 1971 for the Aero Frantz. Testimonials are very helpful.

Ralph
burnout.gif

offtopic.gif

Held off as long as I could...I cannot read your topic title without thinking of Elton John...you know..."just installed a Frantz tonight"
..."Someone Saved My Life Tonight"

...it fits the music........um............sorry

well Ralph the one i installed is dated 69 with 66 printed material. here comes the subliminal messege (maybe you could remove the old and install the new, you know kinda like how wives are allways wanting to move the furniture around to make it look new, anyway if you decide in the near future(hint hint) to get rid of the old frantz (not the real old 2 post design... being real picky here) please drop me a line, my email is [email protected]

pscholte now thats funny, i did get a chuckle out of that one. the rhyme never occured to me
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back