Dos / windows 3.1 how did programs install?

Playing MOO2 regularly aswell, it just draws mez in though, I have to keep going till I win or die....
I dont like moo2 much. The whole level of "interplanetary systems" with moons is overcomplicated/grindy
IF I want a grind I'll just pick large or huge for universe size on MOO-1

And dont get me started on MOO-3

I dont like moo2 much. The whole level of "interplanetary systems" with moons is overcomplicated/grindy

MOO-3 was for those who like to micromanage everything...God awful.

I always go huge galaxy, and I never accept an election win, which instantly turns everyone against me

I always go huge galaxy, and I never accept an election win, which instantly turns everyone against me
I "cheat" if I'm going to lose an election(or election win between 2 others) I open save and bribe someone to my side to keep game going lol

I "cheat" if I'm going to lose an election(or election win between 2 others) I open save and bribe someone to my side to keep game going lol

Never done that, but I do vote in a way to keep the game going, but sometimes I have a 2/3rds majority by myself, so can't accept the election results lol

I had a 286 with 25Mhz Harris chip. 4MB ram and 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives + 40GB conner HD and VGA graphics. I was king of the hill back then lol
I'm pretty sure that was 40MB, not GB, in the 286 days.

I remember hitting the 540MB BIOS limitation on hard drives in the mid 90s when I was working PC support for an insurance company. You had to do some trickeration in the BIOS to make anything above 540MB fully usable by the OS. This was on Dell 486s that we had at that time.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was 40MB, not GB, in the 286 days.

I remember hitting the 540MB BIOS limitation on hard drives in the mid 90s when I was working PC support for an insurance company. You had to do some trickeration in the BIOS to make anything above 540MB fully usable by the OS. This was on Dell 486s that we had at that time.

yes 40 MByte doh!

The computers at my high school used 3.1. Anyone want to feel really old?

Screenshot 2024-04-05 183740.jpg

We used dos and dosshell, 386 sx 16 mhz with monochrome monitors.

In the technical department we had 486 computers with colour screens to run autocad. I remember drawing a circle took ages

Didn't say you were
You did say Windows 3.1 was the best operating system and I stated NT was better if you didn't game...
Yes, NT 3.5.1 was a lot more stable than Windows for Workgroups 3.11, both early 90s options found commonly on PCs around my college campus.

Some areas of campus had Macs, they were a lot better in those days for stability and ease of use, but most of the software we used in the business school and so forth ran on PCs. We're still having this struggle 30 years later, most business desktop/laptop OS is still Microsoft.

Yes, NT 3.5.1 was a lot more stable than Windows for Workgroups 3.11, both early 90s options found commonly on PCs around my college campus.

Some areas of campus had Macs, they were a lot better in those days for stability and ease of use, but most of the software we used in the business school and so forth ran on PCs. We're still having this struggle 30 years later, most business desktop/laptop OS is still Microsoft.
I remember back in middle school kind of coming into my own, so to speak, and learning the ins-and-outs of working on my own computers.

My dad had always been a computer person-he did a few stints in IT in his professional career, and I never remember us not having multiple computers around the house.

In any case, my dad was an MS "Action Pack" subscriber(not sure if that's still a thing) and they sent him a beta version of Windows 2000(which I believe you can find called NT 5.0 in some references). He had zero interest in it, so with his okay I installed the beta on my computer and then the release version when they sent it. I LOVED it and thought it was amazing. I couldn't believe that my computer almost never crashed-it was such a different experience than Windows 98.

Meanwhile, he went all in on Windows ME, and had no end of trouble with it. That has to be the single worst version of Windows ever created. Vista was decent after a few service packs and even though I used Windows 8 very little, I found it was fundamentally a sound OS once I installed Classic Shell to get rid of MS's stupid UI "revolution." Windows ME, though, I just remember being a mess.

To the OP's question about transplanting Windows software, though, I've painstakingly done it by copying the program folder, launching the program, noting the DLL or any other files it asked for, going and finding them, copying and placing them in the same place on the destination system as I found them on the source system, and repeating until the program finally worked. I wasn't always sucessful, and it took a lot of time, but I have done it. It really makes me appreciate that MacOS typically has everything needed for a program in a single package that is easily moved around, and installation of a lot of programs often really is just copying the package to where you want it....

**Windows XP** that is
ah I misread your response to be referring to "The computers at my high school used 3.1. Anyone want to feel really old?"
not the picture.
98SE was >95
95 had terrible usb support and no support for over 2GB HDD until b IIRC? but That's been a minute so I might be wrong.

The big jump of course was 98 > windows xp.
was able to ditch dos and still work with older programs.

the turds of windows 2000 and windows ME need no mention.

Back