John Deere 30 sec oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: walterjay
I think it's a good idea for some people. Not everyone has basic oil change skills anymore.

Oil change skills?? Are you referring to that plug on the bottom of the engine? Or which way to turn it to remove it?
It's not a new phenomenon. My ex father in law looked at me like I had two heads when I told him he needed to grease the spindles on his mower deck on occasion. I guess he thought zerks were decorations. A lot of people didn't grow up around machines.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I think it's a good idea for some people. Not everyone has basic oil change skills anymore.

Oil change skills?? Are you referring to that plug on the bottom of the engine? Or which way to turn it to remove it?
....I guess he thought zerks were decorations. A lot of people didn't grow up around machines.

Your ex father-in-law probably thought what my dad use to say:
“ T!ts on a bull ! “
I apologize for my lack of political correctness that may offend someone.

Last edited:
I put a lot of this overpriced nonsense in much the same category as these new brand specific, built in refrigerator water filters all these new models come with today. It's a convenient way for the manufacturer to keep their hands in your pocket for years after the purchase of the unit is made.

These "built in" water filters are ridiculously expensive for what they are. And the new fridges usually have some type of light or indicator that comes on, telling you it needs changing. Usually much sooner than it needs to. Some of these filters can be $40.00 or more each. They are small and ineffective for what they charge. Yes, you can find knock offs on Amazon cheaper. But most are made in China and you don't know the quality, (many leak), or the health risk. God knows how they're manufactured, or with what. Remember all the pets that were dropping dead of poisoning from Chinese dog food and doggy treats?

The water filters for my last Samsung ran $38.00 at Best Buy and Home Depot. For my new Whirlpool they are over $50.00 a piece. Insane. I just leave them out. (Most people don't know the water and ice dispensers will operate fine without them). And instead purchased a nice large in line water filter for less than half that. It is 3 times the size, and has a 5 year service life. I simply mounted it to the wall behind the fridge with a large clamp, and connected it to the waterline with a pair of braided Stainless Steel lines.

Considering the number of mowers I see every year with seized engines due to low/no oil (mostly owned by middle aged homeowners by the way) I don't think this quick change system is the evil that people are making it out to be.

For us DIY'ers or mechanics who know oil changes are easy, it might not make sense. Someone like my sister who doesn't own an oil drain pan, wrenches, or doesn't know what oil to get, this cartridge thing would probably allow her to do it. At 25 years old she can change a headlight bulb, a flat tire, and an air filter, but an oil change especially with limited tools and driveway space would likely not be an easy task. When the local dealer or small engine shop charges $90-120 an hour, this is likely a better option for most homeowners.

Quote:
Considering the number of mowers I see every year with seized engines due to low/no oil (mostly owned by middle aged homeowners by the way) I don't think this quick change system is the evil that people are making it out to be.

If they don't bother to check the oil level to begin with, this
overpriced gizmo won't help much.
Just sold my old Sabre rider to someone who's son never bothered to
check/add oil. Seized the engine.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:

If they don't bother to check the oil level to begin with, this
overpriced gizmo won't help much.
Just sold my old Sabre rider to someone who's son never bothered to
check/add oil. Seized the engine.

My 2¢

Supposedly this thing replaces 1/3 of the oil with the cartridge.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

So just bring $120.00 with you to the John Deere dealer, and buy 3 of them.
grin.gif

Come on now...you know the old sayin...lefty tighty..righty loosey....

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

So just bring $120.00 with you to the John Deere dealer, and buy 3 of them.
grin.gif

Wait! I just called the local Valvoline oil change harsge and he quoted 6.4qts synthetic oil and filter for $107. I called to calibrate my expectations for current oil change pricing. Insane pricing for both OCs.

I put a lot of this overpriced nonsense in much the same category as these new brand specific, built in refrigerator water filters all these new models come with today. It's a convenient way for the manufacturer to keep their hands in your pocket for years after the purchase of the unit is made.

These "built in" water filters are ridiculously expensive for what they are. And the new fridges usually have some type of light or indicator that comes on, telling you it needs changing. Usually much sooner than it needs to. Some of these filters can be $40.00 or more each. They are small and ineffective for what they charge. Yes, you can find knock offs on Amazon cheaper. But most are made in China and you don't know the quality, (many leak), or the health risk. God knows how they're manufactured, or with what. Remember all the pets that were dropping dead of poisoning from Chinese dog food and doggy treats?

The water filters for my last Samsung ran $38.00 at Best Buy and Home Depot. For my new Whirlpool they are over $50.00 a piece. Insane. I just leave them out. (Most people don't know the water and ice dispensers will operate fine without them). And instead purchased a nice large in line water filter for less than half that. It is 3 times the size, and has a 5 year service life. I simply mounted it to the wall behind the fridge with a large clamp, and connected it to the waterline with a pair of braided Stainless Steel lines.
Your exactly right. Those water filters are a joke. Know your water first. Get it tested and then buy the appropriate water filters. Then you know that your water is getting the right filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back