Jiffy Lube Fluids

I own a Toyota 2008 1.8L engine.flushed my coolant with universal fluid and flushed with thief power steering fluid.
Any risk with damaging fluids? Or am I ok with shorter service time?

Always use coolant that meets the manufaturer's specs. I use only BMW coolant from FCPEuro+distilled water.
I believe the same. I was mortified when the fluid wasn’t pink.
That being said, I wanna know if I can cause damage or wait a short service interval and put pink asian fluid back in. Not exactly cheap.

Not exactly cheap.
Not exactly cheap because you might not just be exactly putting pink Asian fluid back in.
How much damage is difficult to determine because we don't know the degree of contamination or with what your system was spiked.
Some coolants are said to clash and cause clogging. Others need air-tight systems and can foul in open ones, like Dex-Cool.
What are the circumstances of your situation?

Ignore it? Or water your troubling mix down with correct coolant and 'keep an eye on it' or ignore it thereafter?
Send some out for expensive analysis you might not be able to read?

Flush the system and fill with correct fluid and sleep well.
Might the system need flushing or a refresh anyway?

"5 cents, please" Lucy

When a "good" shop in Santa Cruz, CA did the timing belt in my niece's Honda Odyssey, they used generic green coolant. I was disappointed, to say the least. Does it matter? Some say yes; some say no. I feel cheated.

I own a Toyota 2008 1.8L engine.flushed my coolant with universal fluid and flushed with thief power steering fluid.
Any risk with damaging fluids? Or am I ok with shorter service time?
only real issue with other choices is compatibility, especially when it comes to coolant..
I always use the universal coolants..
We had to use them at my job, in a mixed fleet, because there was no way to keep up on all the different stuff.
. I never saw anything occur
that would make me think one color coolant was any better than the other.
Engineers pick the stuff for whatever reason they choose.

as far as power steering goes, honestly if the system is bone dry or their is no compatibility problem just about any type of oil ( 5w30, 10w30, ATF etc) will function in there even though they specify certain blends.

I feel your dismay.
Had you spoken of replacement part quality / brand?

What's a Honda 3.5's T-belt cost in sunny California?
There was more work done than that, so I forget. Maybe $700? Dunno... @The Critic can chime in as he is knowledgeable regarding current prices.
They did use Aisin components, as I recall. I don't think I got much of a deal; that much I can tell you.
Sometimes the dealership makes sense.

Last edited:
I would ask Jiffy Lube what they used and do some research. It could be fine.

Walmart is full of universal coolants and most are fine. I prefer to use the proper coolant but I am would bet more than half the cars at 100K miles that have had their coolant changed used universal. A lot of shops probably don't want to stock a whole bunch of types of coolants.

I use this in everything.
FC1CD541-82AC-402F-BA35-F0C0E107D129.jpeg

Universal coolants are usually fine in most applications.

I personally switched my 4.3 S10 from Dexcool to Prestone All Vehicles after I did the lower intake gaskets, zero problems, if I am not mistaken my family members Toyota which has 285,000 original miles on it has universal coolant in it.

When a "good" shop in Santa Cruz, CA did the timing belt in my niece's Honda Odyssey, they used generic green coolant. I was disappointed, to say the least. Does it matter? Some say yes; some say no. I feel cheated.
I'm in the camp where it does matter:

I'm in the camp where it does matter:

Yea, that’s why I used Prestone in a Ranger I serviced - the truck will be going to Oil Changers or Jiffy Lube for its OCIs, and I felt having a pHOAT in there will play nicer with universal Dex-Cool based coolants, straight OAT.

AMAMs will play nice with most OAT-based coolants, it’s old school green and G-05 HOAT that can be the wildcard.

fact of the matter is with a dry cooling system. it really doesn't matter much one way or the other

Since all cooling system fluids will make contact with aluminum, brass , copper, iron, steel , bronze as well as rubber and plastics and other things ,and they raise the boiling point, and lower the freeze point as well as fight corrosion, how is one type of coolant performance much different than the other.?

The first mistake is getting this work at JL. Is the extra convenience worth the headache now
Fixed.

JL is all about convenience; it is probably one of the more expensive places to get your vehicle serviced if you are not a fleet account!

Back