Japanese Maples are my favorite...

Today we planted another Japanese Maple at our Petaluma (wine country, north of The City, Sonoma County) place. The pic does not do the tree justice. The Coral Red Bark tree will grow to 15' to 20' in time; it is 5' now. Notice the use of the 4-bar to straighten the Bloodgood in the foreground...
1685242083503.png

Last edited:
We had good luck with them when we lived in Charlotte NC. I think its too hot here. We finally got a couple to grow by keeping them in partial shade.

Nice looking tree.

Since it was just planted yesterday, you might consider moving it to a spot that will allow it to to develop its full natural habit. This is my 50 year old Japanese Maple that’s 15 feet from the house. I have to lightly shape it every few years to keep it off the house.

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 34
Since it was just planted yesterday, you might consider moving it to a spot that will allow it to to develop its full natural habit. This is my 50 year old Japanese Maple that’s 15 feet from the house. I have to lightly shape it every few years to keep it off the house.
Nice tree.
People need to look at the Tags that come with any plant.

My next-door neighbor planted a Japanese Maple four feet from their house.
It is now at its mature size of 15 feet diameter.
They have done a hack job to keep it from touching their house.

Too close to the house and too close to the other tree. Many do not visualize into the future when planting a tree.
I've made that mistake before. The tree is actually further away than is appears.
I had 3 in the front yard an decided to add another as Costco had a killer deal on this beautiful Coral Red Bark. It is smart to plan ahead; no one ever accused me of .....

Last edited:
Japanese maples grow prolifically here in the northwest. They seem to love the weather, especially the mild winters. I've had a few Coral bark maples...they do seem susceptible to bacterial blight though. Every one I've had eventually contracted it.

Japanese maples grow prolifically here in the northwest. They seem to love the weather, especially the mild winters. I've had a few Coral bark maples...they do seem susceptible to bacterial blight though. Every one I've had eventually contracted it.
My understanding is CA is a little too sunny and hot for them, but mine are dong great. I did kill one during the drought a few years back; I did not give it enough water.

I do a little trimming but would like to learn more.

In the early 90’s I wanted a Japanese maple tree so we went searching. They are not cheap of course but as we were looking I found one that was more like a tree than the lacy low growers we see everywhere. The price on it was about a quarter of what everything else was selling for. It looked fine to me and I asked the nursery guy if that tree was different because it was so cheap. He declared it be an excellent tree so we bought it.

It grew from about five feet to close to twelve feet over the years. It had three color periods, green, crimson red and a blaze orange. It developed into a really nice looking tree.

Unfortunately, a year or so before we moved we had a late unexpected snow storm that dumped about a foot of wet snow overnight. The tree split in half. We ended up removing it.

I planted a Japanese Maple right off my deck when I built the house. It began to overwhelm the deck. I eventually had to remove it. Lesson learned.
I moved one from the back corner by the house to the front corner; I thought I gave it enough room, but ....
People stop and look at the trees. And some of the professionally landscaped yards were certainly big bucks; my DIY mistakes are pretty popular!
PXL_20230528_192256448.jpg
PXL_20230528_192227221.jpg

I want one, but really don’t have a place for it. They are very cool looking trees.

The main spot I can think of is on the north side of the house. It gets little sun.

Back