I've Entered A New Level of BITOG'ers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
No one's spreading a rumour. I speculated it was a distinct possibility. Generally speaking, if one oil company openly admits to doing so, it's quite within the realm of possibility that other oil companies are doing or have done the same thing.

But, I'm sure XOM simply took every extraneous CJ-4 label for recycling, or ordered the exact correct amount for the life cycle of the specification.

Well I don't know what XOM practices were so I will take them at their word.

I am not familiar with the packaging operation at the various facilities or if it is possible that they focused on filling their large bulk orders as smaller unit packaging was depleted.

Fact is I don't know and it sounds like none of us know...but we are all the type that would be interested to learn.

Let's do the math... How many gallons of Delvac 1300 15w40 would Mobil sell in one day in the USA alone? Perhaps 4,000?
How many gallons does one blending vat hold, 1,000 gallons? If my estimation is remotely close, we are looking at a 6 hour
roll-over from CJ-4 to CK-4.
I doubt if they label the containers 1st than blend to suit, so Garak, give it up. You've posted over 100 times already on the subject.

Garak,

You have certainly planted a seed.

I am vacationing in MN near to the AMSOIL headquarters and I am going to see if a factory tour is possible.

It would be interesting to understand this entire blending process more than I do right now...which is NIL.
grin.gif

Have you ever heard that joke about "rhymes with fun" ?

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
...Your anything but a Ford Diesel engine needs an oil change. Walmart has 3 selections of 15w40 on the shelf from one company, CI-4, CJ-4 & CK-4. They could all have the same oil in the pails, but at different prices. So what do you do if you need CK-4, but only have enough money in your pocket for the cheapest CI-4?
Would you extend the service of the oil in your engine that requires CK-4, or change the oil using the CI-4 product?

That's a hypothetical that isn't realistic. I haven't noticed a price increase with the CK-4 rollout, and Shell and Imperial Oil are still quoting some very good prices on CK-4 stuff, with certain CK-4 stuff being cheaper than stuff that is CJ-4 and simply wasn't upgraded or is discontinued. Finding a pail of CI-4 here isn't realistic, either. But, based on your hypothetical, I'd prefer a CJ-4 over a CI-4 if a CK-4 were required. At least the SA is more likely to be in line.

You own a Ford. Canadian tire has 4 choices of 15w40, all CK-4 at different price points. They could all be the same oil in different containers. You go to Walmart and they are sold out of CJ-4. Too many Ford guys shopping for oil today.

My first choice would be to sell the Ford. Ford really doesn't know what it wants for oil in its sumps, aside from a preference for Motorcraft. This is the late 1990s all over again with their foaming paranoia, transformed into some other paranoia about an oil specification, which their own supplier was involved in from the outset, I might add. Regardless of Ford's position, CK-4 is always backwards compatible with CJ-4. If they want to enforce their builder approval, do so across the board. No other manufacturer out there that has diesels using HDEO has a problem with CK-4 oils.

Now, with respect to how much oil they bottle in a day, I'm not sure I'll trust your math. You claimed I posted that Mobil is placing CK-4 in CJ-4 bottles 100 times, when I actually claimed it zero times. I claimed it was possible, and that there is precedent with other companies, and that wasn't a hundred times, either.

When it comes to hoarding or hunting down old stock, I don't bother. That ship has sailed. When CJ-4 came out, the bulk of the CI-4 stuff was gone very quickly. The same has occurred this time. Each time a new oil specification comes out, there are always people who want to hang onto the old oil specification and track down every bottle they can find. If I buy an HDEO, it will be a CK-4 variant, with very few exceptions. The only CJ-4 oil I'm sure I can get readily right now from Imperial Oil is Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, which is CJ-4/SN. They haven't announced any changes or replacements with that particular product, probably because we don't see many vehicles calling for CK-4 5w-30, and the product relies on its builder approvals. Of course, Ford approved them for their last list, so apparently some explicitly low phosphorus lubes are better than others, or, the more likely scenario is that some engine iterations are much worse than others.

I doubt if they label the containers 1st than blend to suit, so Garak, give it up.

Doubt what you will. It's possible, and that's all I've ever maintained. Shell has stated a number of times, including back to the SN rollout, that they use up the old labels they have in stock before switching to a new label, while using new oil with old labels.

ArcticDriver: Email XOM back and ask them why, if they're so concerned about accurate labeling, their ACEA labeling on the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 was so flubbed up for years, and didn't match their data sheet, much less the ACEA sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back