It's true... additive fallout is REAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

We don't know that anything such as overbasing is the cause here.

Where?

Look, I KNOW I've already said this, but I also know hardly anyone actually reads anything on here. Maybe its considered un-American, dunno.

That article (apart from the usual unsupported editorialising) is actually about additive "crystallising out" in an operating engine, NOT additive drop-out in storage.

So most of this discussion is actually irrelevent re-treading of old obsessions.

And I think there is an error in the ML article and I posted this in the Filter section as well:

Quote:
I guess I am a bit confused about the filtering "out" of the usual anti-foam (AF) additive molecule, Polydimethylsiloxane (unless we're talking about a different AF molecule).

According to Mavric, A. et al., Molecular size and solubility conditions of polysilane macromolecules with different topology. Sci. Rep. 6, 35450; doi: 10.1038/srep35450 (2016), and using transmission electron microscope (TEM) methods, they found the average size of the molecule to be about 20nm or 0.02 micrometers.

Has it been found that there is some type of "Coulombic attraction" or "surface tension" mechanism to the filtering media, as these mechanisms would seem to be the only other mechanisms for trapping this molecule?

The latter mechanism would seem to be a weak explanation since the whole purpose of the PDMS molecule is to reduce the surface tension of air bubbles in lubricants.

The ML article didn't identify the Anti-Foam (AF) chemistry but the most common AF chemistry is Polydimethylsiloxane.

Furthermore, ML didn't explain or identify this filtering mechanism.

Last edited:
Er...havn't checked back but I think it said the butylated Hydroxytoluene "crystallising" in the engine was an antioxidant.

I suppose you're talking about a different part of the article, which ranged fairly widely, and mostly didn't address the initial engine question at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back