Is ZERO oil consumption the ultimate goal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Our prius goes 7.5k and only consumes a pint.id be more then happy with that consumption.

Consider the Prius engine is less than half the size of the truck engine.
That counts for something.
Imagine how much oil this guy uses:
LFE.jpg

yes,

But

But

But

you need:

-good fuel any time of the day/year
-good tires, that don't wear down
-no wind
-good streets/highways surface
-good weather
-no drivers around you

Consider this. In days of yore, not losing oil was a vexation. Usage was expected. Was the oil being topped off by another liquid ? Now-a-days with a DGI, is this a possibility. What I want from motor oil is the best "wedge" possible where wear occurs. This is why I have yet to go below 5w30. Fractionally better MPG is of zero importance.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Had a 2009 Ford Focus, several 20,000+ miles on an oil change, never used any oil that was measurable on the dip stick. Analysis always said it was suitable for continued use and no abnormal wear was observed

I would be concerned if my vehicles did use oil, very disgusted. Out of all my vehicles the only two that used consistent oil was a 1990 Mercury Couger I bought new and a old 1978 Cadillac Elderado, which stopped when I started running 15w40 Truck oil in it. My vehicles never use oil. Even my company truck with 235,000 miles on it never gets to the add mark. I just took the Dodge from Florida to Pennsylvania to New Jersey and back. Pretty hard highway miles and it used a 1/2 qt but still wasn't down to the add.
I tend to run thicker oil than the manufacturer "suggests" so maybe that is it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
In 10K OCIs my Ford Duratech I4s never drop off the full mark. My previous Focus never did as well even at 175K. Oil used M1 0-20AFE.

This is my experience as well, except that my 2.5 is up to 238,000 miles, and I run anywhere from 5w20 to 10w30, conventional through full synthetic. The oil is always right at the full mark, even after 8,000+ miles.

Yeah, I'm sure there's been SOME oil used during that time, but it's not really measurable.

Since some of you are having a field day with this I'll continue my daily driving and see where I'm @ down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back