Is this a hidden crack in the a/c compressor?

I was trying to vacuum the system on another Honda Insight and it would not go more than 20" vacuum. And it would go back to 0 in a few seconds after shutting off the pump. Added some freon for a leak check and the sniffer was going off right by the clutch. I have the compressor out and the clutch removed and see this,

compressor crack.jpg

looks like a crack in the housing. I see dye everywhere. Will take the coil off for a better look. Just wonder what may have caused that?

That's certainly toast, good find what made you look there?
EDIT: I just read you used a sniffer.

FYI in my 37 years of working on vehicles I've never seen that happen.

Aren't Honda's famous for having weak A/C systems? Weak meaning much higher than average leakage and more frequent compressor replacements than average for their age.

Known as the "Honda Black Death" on some Honda forums because of all the black contaminants which enter and destroy the entire A/C system when the compressor or other components fail.

Known as the "Honda Black Death" on some Honda forums because of all the black contaminants which enter and destroy the entire A/C system when the compressor or other components fail.
I think that's mainly a CR-V thing. From what I read, there was a Keihin a/c compressor in some CR-Vs that failed a lot. Black Death doesn't seem like a common forum complaint on the Hondas I've owned (98 Accord, 05 and 10 Odyssey)

I think that's mainly a CR-V thing. From what I read, there was a Keihin a/c compressor in some CR-Vs that failed a lot. Black Death doesn't seem like a common forum complaint on the Hondas I've owned (98 Accord, 05 and 10 Odyssey)
Scotty Kilmer also recently mentioned that Honda's A/C systems are leak prone.

Scotty Kilmer also recently mentioned that Honda's A/C systems are leak prone.
Guess that depends. Have two 2006 Insights in storage, one wrecked, the second a parts car to rebuild it with. Did the usual start and run for a minute or two every 3-4 months last weekend to keep everything lubricated and the fuel pump from seizing. A/C on both is ice cold. One car I got in 2018 and has been sitting since, and the other in 2014. Maybe that's because they are lower mileage and the parts haven't worn out.

Aren't Honda's famous for having weak A/C systems? Weak meaning much higher than average leakage and more frequent compressor replacements than average for their age.
There have been a fair amount of Hondas in our family and I can confirm a few have had a/c issues. My 2006 Accord started blowing warm air at 9 years old / 120K miles, Sisters 2011 Accord had frequent a/c issues though it was over 200K miles, and her current 2011 Civic had to have the compressor replaced around 120K-130K miles. My 2012 Accord was still functioning well when I traded at 76K though it had started making gurgling sounds when the a/c was running for the past year, though I'm not sure if that was going to develop into an issue or if it was just a noise. Lower miles than I'd expect for a/c issues on any car. I can say the a/c in the Camry I just purchased is fantastic, better than any other vehicle I have owned. Ice cold cabin in minutes even in the excruciating Florida humidity/heat. Most vehicles can't manage to keep the cabin comfortable in these conditions, especially at idle.

Up until 2016, the AC in the Legend has been trouble free. There's slow leak someplace. I suspect the discharge line; the fitting at the condenser is oily.

It's about time for a tear down, hose replacement, flush and r134 conversion.

I usually don't watch YT repair videos (The only ones I've watched are Hiram Gutierrez).

Is Scotty Kilmer on stimulants or something? It's really funny if you playback at x1.5 normal speed. Just watch out for those flailing arms.

I think I'd rather listen to Billy Kilmer talk about cars.

/s

Our 2001 Civic had junk ac, it needed something every 2 years, and around the 8 or 9 year mark (150k?) we were told it needed everything replaced. I did some looking around and came to the conclusion that it may have been correct. No love for Honda ac from me.

Back