Is there a decent inexpensive mower?

Looking to pick up a spare mower,to use mostly around flower beds,bushes etc. Don't
like to get too close with my tractor. Don't really need self propelled. Im gun shy on
how the dependability is on the cheaper mowers. Thanks

Pretty much every mower that's not absolute dog***t is above $250 now, pretty much any reputable brand with a Briggs or Honda motor should be fine, don't buy any of the cheap Pulsar or Powersmart or that other Chinese noname crap, when mowers were cheap they were very "you get what you pay for" as expensive as all mowers are now you don't even get what you pay for.

My experience has been a moderately priced (when new) and older Craftsman push mower with a B&S is better than a newish cheap machine after a couple of years. And at least around here the Craftsman can be found for $0 - $50 if you look hard, and <$100 any day.

A goat perhaps?

Attachments

• goat-1402613__340.jpg
    goat-1402613__340.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2
My experience has been a moderately priced (when new) and older Craftsman push mower with a B&S is better than a newish cheap machine after a couple of years. And at least around here the Craftsman can be found for $0 - $50 if you look hard, and
I seen someone near me selling an old Tecumseh powered Craftsman, they wanted like $275 it was new in box, look at the cursed serial number in the upper right corner.
339647284_657513073053659_629567939907241924_n.png

I seen someone near me selling an old Tecumseh powered Craftsman, they wanted like $275 it was new in box, look at the cursed serial number in the upper right corner.
339647284_657513073053659_629567939907241924_n.png
o_O No idea how much that model retailed for when new or the appeal to that specific mower but yeah, I see a lot of >$100 prices too. Inevitably I have been lucky enough to find one under $50 from the person that just wants it out of their garage, estate sale, townhouse or whatever.

If you don't know your way around small engines, buy electric.
X2. The dammed sorry, watered down, ethanol based gasoline in this area keep screwing up my gasoline powered mowers. I finally gave up about 12 years ago and bought a corded AC powered Black and Decker mower. IIRC it only cuts about 18 inches at a time but otherwise it's been ok. It takes a bit longer to mow the lawn but I spend a LOT less time having to clean out the carburetor and getting the engine to run. Using an extension cord hasn't been too difficult. I just start mowing near the electrical outlet and work my way out from there so that the cord is mostly in the area that I previously cut. So far I've only managed to run over the cord once.

I used to live on about six acres so I needed gasoline powered tools but now I live on about 1/3 acre and all of my lawn tools are corded and I don't have to worry about oil, gasoline or dead batteries. I just plug in and go.

(I have several AC outlets on the outside walls of the house and two of them have a water hose hanger mounted close by but with 100 ft electric cords on them. The cords are unplugged when not in use. )

This is the last year Honda is making gas powered mowers. While kinda expensive, they make a non bagger mulching/throw basic push model with rear ball bearing wheels. Those have a nice ergonomic handle.

Honda Mower engines have one feature lacking on most other mowers, a fuel shut off valve. So at end of season, you can shut the valve and run the mower till it dies to keep the carb from gumming up. Not that you can't run an engine out of fuel on other engines.

My younger sis has a Cub Cadet mower with the Honda engine. That mower was discontinued, but they have essentially the same one with a Kohler engine now. The handle on it is really nice. If I had to buy a push only model, I'd get the Cub Cadet with the Kohler. I know people say MTD is junk, MTD owns Cub Cadet. Toro has a cheaper underpowered 140cc mower if you wish.

Kinda expensive, but nice and not underpowered at 173cc's.

Just bought a new Craftsman mower at Lowes. 150cc B&S engine. $419. Base camp commander told me she couldn't start the ole Troy Built anymore. Now I have two serviceable mowers (I can start the beast). If you want a 'decent' but maybe more expensive model, get one of these beauties.

mower.jpg

Just bought a new Craftsman mower at Lowes. 150cc B&S engine. $419. Base camp commander told me she couldn't start the ole Troy Built anymore. Now I have two serviceable mowers (I can start the beast). If you want a 'decent' but maybe more expensive model, get one of these beauties.

View attachment 155160
If you want to go all out, they now have a Troy-Bilt model with the 173cc Kohler Command Pro (TB240K XP), the engine will outlast the deck by far, but it's pretty steep at $550, it's self propelled and 3-in-1.

I'd keep an eye on FB marketplace and pickup a used one. I see them all the time for 50-75. You don't need much to do what you're talking about. I'm using a 80's Snapper with a 3.5 Briggs and it does the job just fine.

Buddy at work gave me a Toro recycler or something like that. He only used it a few times but had another he used. I took it and brought it to her moms so they could use the self propelled there

I have a Troy Bilt tb130, non self propelled. To me it’s just something that eventually goes out and needs to be fixed. I’ve had this thing for over 10 years if not longer. always starts up every year no problems.

I vote Troy Bilt

I also have a 10 year old troy bilt with a B&S motor that is 10 years old and never had one problem. I would also vote for used as likely being better than the new stuff now anyway.

I bought a Yard Machines 163 briggs engined one for 250 a few years ago. Still going strong. It has that exi motor where they claim you just have to top up the oil. I've done just that. It's been 5 years. Made by mtd.

Back