Is the bike market saturated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
I've had my bike up for sale now for over a month and I've had very little interest. I thought maybe it was just my particular bike, but I've been talking to other people who have their bikes for sale as well, and they aren't getting much interest either. It seems to be effecting all brands and models, including Harleys. I wonder if the market is saturated with used bikes, or if people just aren't buying in the same numbers as they were in the past?

You are probably just asking more than market value.

KBB and NADA can give you an idea of the value but the reality of the marketplace can be harsh.

Buyers wants to get a steal.
21.gif

I have a 2013 Triumph Rocket III with just over 10K miles, asking $8K. NADA is $8460. The bike doesn't have a mark on it and it still looks like new. They sell new for $16K, I don't think I'm asking too much...

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Triumph Rocket III with just over 10K miles, asking $8K. NADA is $8460. The bike doesn't have a mark on it and it still looks like new. They sell new for $16K, I don't think I'm asking too much...

New Rocket 3's are priced at 16k, but are they actually selling? Bike sales are just slow. Even the brands that sold well during the height of the recession, are not selling as well today.

Baby boomers really pushed Motorcycle sales for decades. Now they are aging out of the market.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

New Rocket 3's are priced at 16k, but are they actually selling? Bike sales are just slow. Even the brands that sold well during the height of the recession, are not selling as well today.

Baby boomers really pushed Motorcycle sales for decades. Now they are aging out of the market.

They were selling at $16K, but in this market, I have no idea what they're selling for...still, $8K for what is basically a new bike yet is a bargain I think...

Good luck trying to get half price for a 4 year old car or truck. I looked at a 2015 SLT last week with 31K miles.
For $50 more a month x 84 I might as well buy new. Just came in the day before, it was an estate sale trade in.
Hot day in the 90F range, I opened the door and cigarette smoke smell came wafting out. Perforated leather seats too,
so who knows what might have side-leaked into the foam.
Motorcycles are worse. You buy it, you own it. A 5 year old motorcycle is worth a thousand bucks. A 5 year old dirt bike $500.

They were selling at $16K, but in this market, I have no idea what they're selling for...still, $8K for what is basically a new bike yet is a bargain I think...

Sellers always think that what they are selling is special, and a bargain. I'm not trying to be harsh, but that is the reality.

I have a sreetbike that was very popular at one time. Dealers sold all they could get. Now, they sit on the sales floor, or in crates in back. They still sell the best in their category, but that's not saying much these days. A young guy that might want that model, and can afford the bike, will often get sticker shock when they inquire about insurance.

Less people looking for bikes is the big factor.

The best time to sell a bike in a State such as Ohio that gets Winter weather, is early spring. The height of summer is only marginally better time wise, than the dead of Winter.

I had a bike that was fairly popular, priced at market value, that didn't sell for over a year. And the bike market was hot back then.

Good luck with the sale at any rate.

Sellers always think that what they are selling is special, and a bargain. I'm not trying to be harsh, but that is the reality.

I have a sreetbike that was very popular at one time. Dealers sold all they could get. Now, they sit on the sales floor, or in crates in back. They still sell the best in their category, but that's not saying much these days. A young guy that might want that model, and can afford the bike, will often get sticker shock when they inquire about insurance.

Less people looking for bikes is the big factor.

The best time to sell a bike in a State such as Ohio that gets Winter weather, is early spring. The height of summer is only marginally better time wise, than the dead of Winter.

I had a bike that was fairly popular, priced at market value, that didn't sell for over a year. And the bike market was hot back then.

Good luck with the sale at any rate.

I don't think my Rocket is special...if I did, it would have a much higher price listed...

I know somebody who recently sold his Rocket. Got about 5ish grand FWIW... young riders don't want this kind of bike and old riders are selling.

Moto companies woke up and are producing scads of sub 8000 bikes these days. Even Ducati! They're made in Thailand and apparently nobody cares about provenance anymore.
New bikes have all the gizmos like TCS,ABS, etc. And warranty. Nobody under 30 knows what a wrench is for. For a long while bikes were hanging back on the tech. Nowadays you can ride a wheelie on traction control.

Put it on EBay. No reserve, local pickup only. Easiest sale ever and I've done this several times myself. If you're not going to settle for auction price then you're not really going to sell it.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
I know somebody who recently sold his Rocket. Got about 5ish grand FWIW... young riders don't want this kind of bike and old riders are selling.

Moto companies woke up and are producing scads of sub 8000 bikes these days. Even Ducati! They're made in Thailand and apparently nobody cares about provenance anymore.
New bikes have all the gizmos like TCS,ABS, etc. And warranty. Nobody under 30 knows what a wrench is for. For a long while bikes were hanging back on the tech. Nowadays you can ride a wheelie on traction control.

Put it on EBay. No reserve, local pickup only. Easiest sale ever and I've done this several times myself. If you're not going to settle for auction price then you're not really going to sell it.

That Rocket was probably an old one (like an '05 or '06). I haven't seen any newer ones go for that low of a price...

I'm wondering what happened to all the choppers? In southern California they were everywhere 10 years ago or so. Now you never see the full custom bikes at all. Where did they go? I think ABS has something to do with it too.

Last edited:
FWIW, my Rocket sold yesterday for $8K...

Great, Now you can get that Harley you KNOW you always wanted!

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Nope, I'm done with bikes...my next play toy will be a Corvette....

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Nope, I'm done with bikes...my next play toy will be a Corvette....

Good choice. I have my bike but haven't ridden as much as I would've liked to. I thought about selling it, but I'd be lucky to get 5K for it so I'm going to just hang onto it; not going to give it away. I have always liked fast cars, and the Vettes are really nice. Unfortunately, I can't fit comfortably in one so I have a Challenger.

Today I was talking with a metric dealer {owner} who has sold his business to a Harley dealer that wants to have a metric dealership.

He told me that the business has been dropping a little every year for the last several years. He wants to retire and get out before he could loose all he has.

I never buy bikes used. Can't pin down why, because I'll buy a pre-owned car or truck without reservations. Something about a bike is more personal, and veiled misuse, drops, and unreported minor accidents not repaired fully correct driveline-wise can bite you a whole lot harder on something w/ two wheels you ride on vs 4 wheels you ride in. But that is just my own personal instincts and preference. Yes, I take depreciation like a prison shower if I sell, but life goes on. I'm financially secure and accept this area of my life as one that disposes of the disposable income ...
smile.gif

I know this is an old thread, but Im seeing this bike market for what it is now too.
Saturated, younger people no longer interested and no longer have the means or desire to purchase bikes.

Better said, growth is dead to almost dead but of course there will always be interest.

Was just in Florida, Panama City Beach, was surprised what I saw at an Indian Dealer, gosh, they must have had over a dozen 2017 bikes on the floor and the 2018s are coming out.
This in contrast to years ago where people were putting down deposits on Indians.

They have 2017 Springfields too, 3 of them, brand new model came out a year ago to be a Road King killer.

I got to admit, my wife and I really liked the Springfield, 2 of them in the color we liked, not in the market for a bike, but if there was a dealer near me for service I would have been tempted, judging by my wifes reaction, could have purchased it right there and then, but again, no dealer near me and there is one giant deal killer for me and that is those front fenders, just not for us but I am told they can change it now. I was also told they are ready to deal to clear out the bikes for the 2018s.

Anyway, also had a load of the fairing bikes on hand.

So then go down to the Harley dealer 3 blocks (at most) away. Not to much on the floor, but most of the ones they had were the "Limited" touring bikes, again, top of the line bikes just sitting there.

What Im trying to say, I think with the price of these bikes, the makers can not expect mainstream America to purchase any longer, getting to big, to heavy, too many features and way to expensive to the point where there just doesnt seem (to me) to be much value.
You used to be able to buy a bike and not take a bath in resale when you pulled out of a showroom, now, its no different for cars or bikes.
Young buyers are tapped out, tapped out because they borrow like bandits to buy cars, phones, college loans, ya da ya da, last thing on many of their minds is a motorcycle and seeing the debt they choose to start their lives with, something tells me by the time they get to the spending years for more optional luxury items they will be focusing on getting rid of debt more then buying another toy.

Time will tell, I just see a tapped out public with loans and expenses up the yazoo loans of their choosing and no way out.
AS a people, we become to immature to save money to purchase things and bikes are down on the list in relation to homes, cars, phones, TVs and electronics.
Even a home, there is no saving for, they just go for no money to very little money down now, by the time they get to their "golden" spending years, well, most never will, they will still have to much debt.

This isnt a blanket statement, but it is significant for a lot of young people.

Last edited:
Alarmguy's post got me thinking..............for awhile now I've been thinking about a new Harley, like an Ultra Ltd or even a CVO, my 2000 RK works awesome but I like the new features like the new 107 motor, super nice seat with arms and heat, sound, more modern suspension, etc. I mean I've seriously thinking about it, can pay cash and can prob get a great deal. Then riding in to work this morning (unfortunately) I thought you know what, slap a new seat on my bike for greater long haul comfort and I really think I'm happy. Yeah my bike's down on power compared to the new ones and its doesn't have all the current appointments, but I know the bike inside and out, it's relatively simple to work on, I've tweaked it front to back to my personal preference, it's a joy to ride, and it's stone relaiable. So I kinda would rather just have the cash in my bank account. And that's coming from a guy that doesn't have debt or young kids or those other impediments, it's just my old bike is plenty good enough and I don't have the "lust".

So...............sounds like I'm and example of how mfrs are having a tough time enticing even bike fans to drop the cash.

alarmguy, your post is pretty accurate I think. Myself and another guy at work are two divergent examples. While we both recently had bike accidents, recovered and are getting bikes again we are going sort of two different directions. His bike he wrecked (car hit him) was an older Road King he'd done a lot of customizing to, and it got totaled. Insurance wasn't real kind, they go by auction or bluebook wholesale and don't care about custom work which we all know that. So he went recently and bought himself a high end bike, brand new CVO maybe a Street Glide but the workplace hub bub only mentions that it set him back $37,000. Switching to me, I totaled out a $21.9K bike, Ducati Multi 1200S and I am back in for about half the cost choosing to scoop up a deal over 5000 off msrp on a new Moto Guzzi priced down to $11,495 almost half what my Multi was. Just didn't want another go fast bike nor another tech-rich bike loaded with electronic systems that may gremlin-out five yrs down the line and co$t to fix. My co-worker's new Milwaukee 8 powered CVO however, dam it's got premium stereo, bluetooth, GPS, and maybe an automatic arse wiper too... thing is decked out.

MoreCowbellAz sounds like you are on the right track, hold on to that bike sounds like a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back