Is paid antivirus worth it?

Hey guys - I've always used free type antivirus programs and have always been happy with the result (that I know of), but since really haven't paid attention to what constitutes a threat to a PC today, I'm not really sure if I should pony up some cash for a bitdefender, kaspersky or whoever

I doubt one can trust most online reviews of the best one(s) as there is often money behind it. Many of the free ones are annoying with pop ups egging you to buy the full fledged version. I do know my wife's employer uses Bitdefender. When she was had to work from home last year, their IT guy came to our home, supplied and setup a Cisco VPN router.

So I'm guessing many people overlook their wi-fi router security.

Hey guys - I've always used free type antivirus programs and have always been happy with the result (that I know of), but since really haven't paid attention to what constitutes a threat to a PC today, I'm not really sure if I should pony up some cash for a bitdefender, kaspersky or whoever
I'm not typically one to say go with Microsoft, but in the case of AV, I always use the MS version (Windows Defender, Security Essentials, etc). It's integrated well into the OS and doesn't require tricks that 3rd party vendors have to resort to to get fully hooked into the OS (tricks which sometimes break other things). I especially avoid free 3rd party AVs. The ads and nags are not worth it.

Better than AV IMO is a filtering DNS server. Something like Quad9, CloudFlare, OpenDNS, or Cleanbrowsing.

Throw in uBlock Origin browser plugin and you're set.

For home use and careful user I think not.
Windows Defender for Win7 and typical free for other Windows is ok for me (I don't use Defender for Win8-10 because worst performance). Sometimes I scan with pro utils and it's clean.

I do not run antivirus. I run Windows 8.1.

I PAY FOR MALWAREBYTES, Premium. Cause' malware is todays problems, not so much viruses.

no. only really needed for enterprises that are at risk. for home users a free anti virus or malware software is fine if the built in av isnt good enough.

Unless you buy a Surface device, the first thing one should do when buying a new Windows PC is to use Microsofts Fresh Start tool.

I believe that whatever value you may lose in a free A/V versus paid you will more than make up for - by a long shot - by avoiding recklessness and using common sense; with the latter involving a sensible and sound backup strategy. A new computer can be bought and a fresh OS re-installed. It's your data that is your true value: protect it.

Going against the consensus.
Norton 360 Deluxe covers five devices, offers a secure VPN (which I use when traveling or banking), a few other items (50GB cloud, dark web monitoring, etc) and if you purchase/renew on/around black Friday, the price is $19.99-$29.99/year.
edit: I forgot to mention the free Norton Utilities is a nice addition.

Last edited:
I'm not typically one to say go with Microsoft, but in the case of AV, I always use the MS version (Windows Defender, Security Essentials, etc). It's integrated well into the OS and doesn't require tricks that 3rd party vendors have to resort to to get fully hooked into the OS (tricks which sometimes break other things). I especially avoid free 3rd party AVs. The ads and nags are not worth it.

Better than AV IMO is a filtering DNS server. Something like Quad9, CloudFlare, OpenDNS, or Cleanbrowsing.

Throw in uBlock Origin browser plugin and you're set.
Security Essentials was borderline useless, though the current Defender product is significantly better and probably more than adequate for your typical home user.

Agreed on OpenDNS being a good choice.

If you work from home at all -YES!!!

If I were just goofing around I'd be fine with free AV, but I need VPN and other stuff are some nice bonus features...

For home use and careful user I think not.
Windows Defender for Win7 and typical free for other Windows is ok for me (I don't use Defender for Win8-10 because worst performance). Sometimes I scan with pro utils and it's clean.
Defender on 7 was not active protection and the OS isn't receiving security updates either. That's a very risky combo.

Some of the better AV products (like ESET NOD32) will actively scan web traffic and block you from accessing compromised or hijacked sites. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's better than not having it. A layered approach is always best and while Defender on Windows 10/11 is a massive improvement over anything Microsoft has offered previously, there are still some advantages to the 3rd party products.

- Use Chrome or Firefox with uBock
- Backup your important data, preferably with a cloud service of some sort with versioning history, though you can use the current Windows File History backup mechanism periodically with a NAS instead, but make sure you don't leave it always connected as a cryptolocker that scans for authenticated network resources can compromise that.
- Use a DNS filtering service like Cisco's OpenDNS
- Keep your Windows install up-to-date
- Keep your router firmware up-to-date

Previously, I've suggested better firewall solutions, but that tends to be out people's budgets.

Back