Is name brand oil sold at walmart the same as sold at other stores?

Is name brand oil sold at walmart the exact same oil as sold in other stores? Specifically I buy pennzoil and valvoline. This may seem like a stupid question but I know walmart beats suppliers down on price. I also know that some products that seem to be the same as in other stores are actually a cheaper version specifically and ONLY for walmart. In my particular case a few years ago I was shopping for a bought a vizio 4K tv. When I narrowed it down to one model and began to look for the best price I found that walmart was $100 cheaper consistently. The series and model number were identical except the walmart version had an extra letter in it. In looking over reviews they always mentioned to be aware that the walmart version was lacking in some features even though it seemed identical to the same model sold everywhere else. Walmart had a special cheaper version made for their stores. The oil they sell is cheaper as well. Is it actually the same liquid that is sold for more everywhere else?

Yes, but technically no.

A lot of times it's a "Walmart exclusive" 6 quart SKU which is why you see 5.1 quart jugs for sale elsewhere in a lot of cases.

a vizio 4K tv. When I narrowed it down to one model and began to look for the best price I found that walmart was $100 cheaper consistently. The series and model number were identical except the walmart version had an extra letter in it.
So it wasn't the same TV (model #) making the analogy moot ? In the case of this TV, Walmart has the buying power to go to a company like Vizio, spec a model with some component(s) removed, and sell for less money. Good for them. Could be something simple like no component inputs or (2) HDMI inputs vs (4), etc, etc - things that the average consumer will never miss.

Same! Wal Mart probably doesn’t make any money on it. That is how they lure you in to spend on other stuff.
Does Walmart do anything with loss leader items ? I don't think they do. Walmart probably buys and sells more engine oil than Autozone + AAP or AAP + O'Reilly and so on combined which means they can dictate lower purchase pricing from the oil manufacturers and pass it on to us. Walmart has volume sales and lower prices so they can get away with less mark-up than the auto parts stores for the same item.

Does Walmart do anything with loss leader items ? I don't think they do. Walmart probably buys and sells more engine oil than Autozone + AAP or AAP + O'Reilly and so on combined which means they can dictate lower purchase pricing from the oil manufacturers and pass it on to us. Walmart has volume sales and lower prices so they can get away with less mark-up than the auto parts stores for the same item.
Sure, i get it. Maybe. But oils are same.

Maybe it's different oil because Wally world could sell it for 2 cents a qt.... :LOL:
Online of course.

6200AF6B-1C2F-4669-AC8A-5C1A8E1F6E4B.jpeg

It is true that some products are made for a specific reseller. Computers are the classic example. Warshing machines.
And there are loss leaders. Costco loses money on the $5 chickens and possibly on the tires.

But the major oil companies are not gonna switch over and make a sprecial brew for Wally World. That would likely incur a larger cost than just making the same stuff. WW gets a volume price based on their huge sales.

If it was a different brew, then it would need to be tested again for Dexos approval and it would carry a different Dexos license number. This is very easy to check, as it’s on the jug. And a difference of only one letter or number means that it is a different license number and a different product.

As long as you compare like with like, eg vanilla M1 5W30 from both stores, then you should see the same license number.

What you are seeing with Walmart is the power of buying in a volume larger than any other store, and the associated cost savings. This is what is happening.

As soon as you are making a special brew, that needs to be developed and tested and licensed separately, you are incurring significant costs for no significant advantage. This is not happening.

Last edited:
If it was a different brew, then it would need to be tested again for Dexos approval and it would carry a different Dexos license number. This is very easy to check, as it’s on the jug.
hmm, I guess it’s pretty obvious all 3 of the Walmart synthetics are the same exact oil, synthetic, hm syn, advanced? Don’t they share the same dexos number? I read this somewhere but haven’t taken the time to look.

^edit. Wrong info, all Supertech dexos approved oils have different license #s.

Last edited:
hmm, I guess it’s pretty obvious all 3 of the Walmart synthetics are the same exact oil, synthetic, hm syn, advanced? Don’t they share the same dexos number? I read this somewhere but haven’t taken the time to look.
They are listed here

AP, EP and vanilla (including AFE) have their own numbers

Back