Is my mower battery going to die one day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are missing my point here. I always hear about how the batteries die after like 2 years, yet here is my mine going on 5. I think the battery is like $65.00 if I remember right. Yes it gets used year round.

Te Sears Diehard on mine was changed at 5 years when the mower did not crank. Wound up needing a starter solenoid but I left the new Duralast on the machine

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I bet the cheap [censored] super tech garden battery from Walmart will die in a year or 2.

Maybe. I have one marked 2015 in my lawn tractor. I think it only holds a charge for a month or two. I left it out one winter and it got fully discharged; it's gotten low several times. I just hit it with a charger when I notice it slowly cranking.

it's a battery. Run it until it dies. Replace. Repeat as necessary.

You guys are missing my point here. I always hear about how the batteries die after like 2 years, yet here is my mine going on 5. I think the battery is like $65.00 if I remember right. Yes it gets used year round.

Multiple recommendations were made in this thread on how to keep these batteries strong for many years and why they don't for some users.

For lots of users, the mowing season is 5-6 months at best. If you let that battery sit unused for 7-8 months w/out a tender on it, it's probably going to last 2yrs. If the mower is used weekly, year round, year after year, you should see longer battery life.

Last edited:

I get 5 years out of lawn tractor batteries, whether they are Walmart or Dekka. I charge them a few times over the winter.

The two enemies of battery life are heat, and prolonged state of discharge. Getting used year round is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back