Finally drove my daughter's new 2022 CIVIC

Yeah, it's nice!
I won't critique it fully but I can say that I'd get one myself. The Civics are really getting BIG and roomy. She only bought the LX sedan with no options, not even mud guards but, we'll get some later. However, carpet floor mats F&R were standard but NO trunk mat, just the standard carpeting in the trunk.

Drives & handles very nicely and it a very everyday livable car. I DROVE ONLY IN ECON MODE. It has ECON, NORM, SPORT. Her 2015 had ECON or NOT. And IDK about the 2016-'21 Civic.

The suspension absorbs bumps very well(w/o that ol' Honda crash) with the 215-55-16 tires...now the standard size for this car.
The LX is still nicely quiet inside and not as loud on the hiwy as the many video reviews were stating. I drove over a variety of road surfaces.
She believes that this new 2022 is just a tiny bit quieter than here 2015 LX sedan and it may be however, I feel the opposite but, they're close.
I mean, it's acceptably quiet though not as much as I would have hoped. Her 2015 Civic LX Sedan surprised me with how quiet is was...for a HONDA.

The 2.0L/CVT(158 hp/138 lb tq) work well together and is plenty enough power everywhere without the cost of the 1.5T. It'll certainly go through the PA mountains well enough without struggling, just the way here 2015 did. When she was moving recently, she had her 2015 LOADED UP with belongings and the car moved just fine without pulling teeth or wishing for more power.

I did not play with the vehicles setting nor the infotainment system as I only drove the car for ~1 hr. But, she had some of the features ON such as LKA, DCC which worked well. IDK everything that is in this LX trim but there is more than you'd think.

View outward is good but the blind spots are now different as in every vehicle. I didn't find issue with them and I have issues with everything! :unsure: Which makes me a very fussy buyer.

Seat comfort was good...again, for a HONDA as I've never been a fan of HONDA seats. But, it's good just the same. ROOMY back seat, OMG! I almost seen no reason for the ACCORD anymore unless you want more premium AND HUGER. :LOL:

One thing among many things that I've noticed about HONDA automobiles is that they don't like to be BEAT.
Not by Toyota(meah, owned them too), not by Mazda(great job) nor Hyundai/KIA(great job). They just always try to stay ahead of the competition more than any other car company, year after year after year. For the past 35 years in my experience.

They may get kicked in the gut now & again but, I have never seen a car company come back so strongly every single time their new products. We've had several HONDAs since the 80s and they have plenty of money. Not Toyota money necessarily but, plenty just the same and they don't like to be BEAT. I like that. (y) Think about it?

Well that's it for now.

CB

Last edited:
Civics are great, indeed. but makes me wonder what forced your daughter to get rid of 2015?

Consumers Reports says:

The Civic comes mated to a continuously variable transmission that does its best to mimic a conventional automatic by way of simulated “shifts.” But full-throttle acceleration still results in the rubber banding sensation—where the engine’s revs seem disproportionately high compared to the acceleration—that CVTs have long been knocked for. High-end EX and Touring trims offer a more powerful and quieter 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder with 180 hp that better masks the CVT’s quirks.

^^^YUP!
However, since her 2015 was totaled(rear ended) and she does in fact prefer as few(er) features than just more stuff. Also money is, well, not really an issue but not justified for more performance in a car and the fact that she needed a car NOW(not tomorrow) when there are few to be had.

I'd easily take the 2.0L over the 1.5T. I don't need more power when a 158hp is plenty. I don't need BOOST!😁
Not to spend more money to get it, more money on insurance and possibly less reliable.

She looked at Mazda3's again as she owned and loved her 2006 Mazda3i, However it was the Civic that was available RIGHT NOW/TODAY, not in 2 or 3 months. She would have definitely overpaid for a used car at this point and she did well $$$ on the new 2022. She could have gone either way with the Civic or Mazda3 but is thrilled with this new Civic. JUST THRILLED! 🥰

All of us in our family, like CVTs and have no issues with them thus far. We know that the car is equipped with a CVT but, we don't even know it's there...so to speak. They just go about their business for our driving. No one in my family is all that aggressive of a driver. We just drive like everyone else on the road in the "everyday-ness".

Great that she loves her new car. Hope she's in good health with nothing lingering from the crash. Now if the insurance works out to your satisfaction it can all be put behind. Does she have good parking for her new car? That's not the same State College as when I was there back in ancient times.

Thank you for the test drive info. Curious what does Honda say is the prescribed maintenance for the CVT? Is the CVT made by Aisin or some other OEM? I think CVTs have improved from the earlier versions, but I still do not trust them......too many R and Rs of the earlier units in Nissans, and other makes. My apologies in advance for my bias here, but my negative experience with them has established that.

Yeah, it's nice!
I won't critique it fully but I can say that I'd get one myself. The Civics are really getting BIG and roomy. She only bought the LX sedan with no options, not even mud guards but, we'll get some later. However, carpet floor mats F&R were standard but NO trunk mat, just the standard carpeting in the trunk.

Drives & handles very nicely and it a very everyday livable car. I DROVE ONLY IN ECON MODE. It has ECON, NORM, SPORT. Her 2015 had ECON or NOT. And IDK about the 2016-'21 Civic.

The suspension absorbs bumps very well(w/o that ol' Honda crash) with the 215-55-16 tires...now the standard size for this car.
The LX is still nicely quiet inside and not as loud on the hiwy as the many video reviews were stating. I drove over a variety of road surfaces.
She believes that this new 2022 is just a tiny bit quieter than here 2015 LX sedan and it may be however, I feel the opposite but, they're close.
I mean, it's acceptably quiet though not as much as I would have hoped. Her 2015 Civic LX Sedan surprised me with how quiet is was...for a HONDA.

The 2.0L/CVT(158 hp/138 lb tq) work well together and is plenty enough power everywhere without the cost of the 1.5T. It'll certainly go through the PA mountains well enough without struggling, just the way here 2015 did. When she was moving recently, she had her 2015 LOADED UP with belongings and the car moved just fine without pulling teeth or wishing for more power.

I did not play with the vehicles setting nor the infotainment system as I only drove the car for ~1 hr. But, she had some of the features ON such as LKA, DCC which worked well. IDK everything that is in this LX trim but there is more than you'd think.

View outward is good but the blind spots are now different as in every vehicle. I didn't find issue with them and I have issues with everything! :unsure: Which makes me a very fussy buyer.

Seat comfort was good...again, for a HONDA as I've never been a fan of HONDA seats. But, it's good just the same. ROOMY back seat, OMG! I almost seen no reason for the ACCORD anymore unless you want more premium AND HUGER. :LOL:

One thing among many things that I've noticed about HONDA automobiles is that they don't like to be BEAT.
Not by Toyota(meah, owned them too), not by Mazda(great job) nor Hyundai/KIA(great job). They just always try to stay ahead of the competition more than any other car company, year after year after year. For the past 35 years in my experience.

They may get kicked in the gut now & again but, I have never seen a car company come back so strongly every single time their new products. We've had several HONDAs since the 80s and they have plenty of money. Not Toyota money necessarily but, plenty just the same and they don't like to be BEAT. I like that. (y) Think about it?

Well that's it for now.

CB
Good overview, Thanks. Agree Honda is always leading edge tech and Toyota is always trailing edge tech. When I was younger, I preferred the more leading edge Accord, Now I prefer the trailing edge Camry ie Multi Port, N/A, real transmission speeds, more quiet engine, ride, etc. Having said that, the new Hondas are very attractive and, as you say, HUGE compared to years prior. Daughter made the smartest buying decision to buy the lower end LE as one gets all the latest engineering without the price of the upper model Frills. Good buy.

The 2022 Civic is supposed to be a world beater.

A hatch would be my immediate choice if I needed a commuter.

Thanks for sharing the info! My experience with Hondus is much the same as yours. My wife to this day mentions how much she loved our 2007 Odyssey. I used to get the worst back aches from those seats.

My daughter's boyfriend bought a 2022 Civic LX model a few weeks back. I haven't driven it or even looked in it, but it's very basic to today's standards w/ plastic wheel covers, etc.. I doubt he knows the difference between CVT or otherwise, but he loves it. He boasted how he got it for $23K. Wowzas.. I guess that's cheap today.

Great that she loves her new car. Hope she's in good health with nothing lingering from the crash. Now if the insurance works out to your satisfaction it can all be put behind. Does she have good parking for her new car? That's not the same State College as when I was there back in ancient times.
Yes, she has her own designated parking spot assigned to her at her condo. She lives & works in the Penn State area but coincidentally she went to Arizona State Univ.

Thank you for the test drive info. Curious what does Honda say is the prescribed maintenance for the CVT? Is the CVT made by Aisin or some other OEM? I think CVTs have improved from the earlier versions, but I still do not trust them......too many R and Rs of the earlier units in Nissans, and other makes. My apologies in advance for my bias here, but my negative experience with them has established that.
~ 30K mile drain & fill and is an in house designed unit as are most Honda trannies except the ZF 9 spd.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the info! My experience with Hondus is much the same as yours. My wife to this day mentions how much she loved our 2007 Odyssey. I used to get the worst back aches from those seats.

My daughter's boyfriend bought a 2022 Civic LX model a few weeks back. I haven't driven it or even looked in it, but it's very basic to today's standards w/ plastic wheel covers, etc.. I doubt he knows the difference between CVT or otherwise, but he loves it. He boasted how he got it for $23K. Wowzas.. I guess that's cheap today.
The car has more features than you’d think. Not only does it have numerous sweet of safety systems(DCC, LKA, AEB) but also has auto up/down FRONT power windows and a host of stuff you wouldn’t realize for an LX Trim

We’ve got a 1.5T 6MT in the family. We ordered it based on a test drive with the CVT. I think the CVT does a better job than a slush box at getting all of the power to the wheels. It felt very connected under normal modulation.

we have enjoyed the ‘18 we have. You’re right - it’s bigger than the accords of yesterday and is a well-sorted, very planted car. Our ‘18 is a Sport trim with rubber band tires (not my favorite). It’s noisy on the highway. If it were mine, I’d be looking for a quieter wheel/tire upgrade and 50 pounds of sound deadening installed.

great car.

Reactions: FZ1
Great choice in the LX. Best ride quality of all the trims and comes equipped with the naturally aspirated, port injected K-series. Engine loves to rev (square architecture and a cousin of the mighty CTR's powerplant) and sounds good doing it, even if the CVT doesn't encourage dancing with the redline.

I was told a couple weeks ago that a dealer wanted to sell a Corolla for 30k, and you probably have seen the Oakland Toyota wanted to sell a Rav4 Prime for 96k..... so yeah 23k is cheap now.

The 2022 Civic is supposed to be a world beater.

A hatch would be my immediate choice if I needed a commuter.
Indeed!
I like the idea of the hatch and I do like the lift back type of hatch as well as it looks similar to the sedan.
I'm not getting one for myself however, I'd get one...so to speak.

Good overview, Thanks. Agree Honda is always leading edge tech and Toyota is always trailing edge tech. When I was younger, I preferred the more leading edge Accord, Now I prefer the trailing edge Camry ie Multi Port, N/A, real transmission speeds, more quiet engine, ride, etc. Having said that, the new Hondas are very attractive and, as you say, HUGE compared to years prior. Daughter made the smartest buying decision to buy the lower end LE as one gets all the latest engineering without the price of the upper model Frills. Good buy.
I agree with your Honda/Toyota assessment and I also prefer the 'trailing edge' technology of Toyota rather than being the test bed for new technology by Honda.
I also would buy the lower end Civic with the 2.0 NA engine over the 1.5T for the reason I stated.

Back