Is MotorCraft GL-5 Gear oil THAT expensive ?

I am not from the US, and I saw some ads for Motorcraft 75W-140 in my country for a very cheap price. I checked R.A and it is so expensive ! The Lucas is only like 11 bucks.
Which leads me to think the Motorcraft sold in my country must be fakes.
1713939340648.jpg

So for you Americans, is this a normal price for Motorcraft GL-5 syn oil? Heck even the Mobil 1 is cheaper.

I am not surprised, being a manufacturer-based brand (Ford), it is going to carry that brand premium price. Just like the ACDelco.

Mobil 1 75W-140 is usually ~$15 from Summit Racing so the $20 per quart for MC/ACDelco sounds about right.

It would be nice if we had some analysis on it. I know when @SubieRubyRoo arranged for multiple 75w90 gear oils to be tested, I suggested we include the MC (75w85), but apparently there was not enough interest (because it wasn’t 75w90????) It might be awesome stuff.

I bought a quart maybe about a year or two ago. 75W140 full syn. With my discount at the dealer, I remember it being about a dollar per ounce. Probably more now. But it does appear to be excellent stuff.
Edit: When I bought my 04 Explorer with limited-slip rear diff, it would chatter really bad if you were accelerating and turning. I did a drain and fill with MC 75W140 full syn and the little bottle of MC friction modifier and the problem was gone.

Last edited:
Personally I think Motorcraft branded gear oil works well. I just pulled the check plug on the rear axle to check the level and condition of the fluid on a 17 F150 that was filled with Motorcraft 75w85. Fluid had just over 60k on it and was still light brown but what surprised me was there was hardly any fuzz on the magnet, almost nothing to clean at all. Factory fill was drained at 30k. Truck just rolled over 90k.

Yes Motorcraft axle oil is expensive. I think the 75w85 was around 33 dollars a quart when I bought it last. That was about 3 years ago

Back