Triax again. 75w140 question

Looking for a 75w140 gear oil for 3 axles (2 different trucks). Found this 5 gallon pail that would make changes easy. I'm running motorcraft 75w140 in the axles now. Says POA in the title, not that i'm hung up on that, but SDS shows different? Would this be serviceable oil in ford 7.5, 8.8 and 9.25 axles? price is right for a decent quantity.

1708106558707.jpg

1708106523584.jpg

What is wrong with motorcraft 75w140?

Did you search the forum for existing Triax threads? They are not pretty. I wouldn't buy something that has such a dearth of technical information.

Last edited:
I'd post a triax video but it doesnt meet bitog standards.

Just avoid.. anything good about it is marketing.

Also Pails dont make anything easy.. The valvoline squeeze bags make it easy.

You know as much about triax as starfire so use this 5gal pail for 100$ over the triaxxxx

View attachment 203901
Actual CAS numbers, thats an improvement.

@Rand I used Star Fire 75W-140 in a semi truck a few times, it's not great. The last time I bought 80W-140 just to mix it with HPL Differential Life Cleaner 80W-90, and ran it for 10,000 miles. There was severe additive fallout at the bottom of the Star Fire 80W-140 5 gallon jug. It's not good quality gear oil.

I recommend Delvac, Castrol Syngear, AMZOIL, HPL, Valvoline Heavy Duty, Shell, pretty much any reputable brand. I had good luck with HPL, Castrol Syngear, AMSOIL, and Delvac in heavy duty applications.

@Rand I used Star Fire 75W-140 in a semi truck a few times, it's not great. The last time I bought 80W-140 just to mix it with HPL Differential Life Cleaner 80W-90, and ran it for 10,000 miles. There was severe additive fallout at the bottom of the Star Fire 80W-140 5 gallon jug. It's not good quality gear oil.

I recommend Delvac, Castrol Syngear, AMZOIL, HPL, Valvoline Heavy Duty, Shell, pretty much any reputable brand. I had good luck with HPL, Castrol Syngear, AMSOIL, and Delvac in heavy duty applications.
Well its $100 has more info available and cheaper than triaxxxxxx was my criteria.

I personally wouldnt use it. For the $.001 per mile I can afford Top shelf.

This oil is on the PRI approved gear oils. It is very good, and about the same price as the one listed by the OP. I have successfully used this for many hundreds of thousand of miles.

1708114535903.jpg

OP doesnt mention the actual application or why he is using 75w140, not sure 80w140 is suitable for winter in Alberta considering its -39c PP.

Winter Weather in Alberta:
  • In the coldest months of the year (January and February), daytime temperatures are between -5 to -15°C and can drop to as low as -30 to -40°C for short periods of time.

OP doesnt mention the actual application or why he is using 75w140, not sure 80w140 is suitable for winter in Alberta considering its -39c PP.
He mentioned trucks. I'd run 75W-90 up there, or HPL Cold Climate 75W-140. That gear oil is on another level.

75w140 was spec'd in every Ford 9.75 until 2015 trucks where Ford decided 75w90 was good. same axles, etc. The 8.8 is in the front diff of the F150 in the signature. For the 10 times a year it gets engaged, the same lube as the rear would make sense if it came in a 5 gallon pail. The 7.5 rear is in the boy's latest acquisition, a 2008 ranger single cab 2.3l MT XL special. It's rear axle howls a bit so just swapping fluid to see what is up doesn't require high zoot lube. I guess I'll forget the Triax peepee juice.

75w140 was spec'd in every Ford 9.75 until 2015 trucks where Ford decided 75w90 was good. same axles, etc. The 8.8 is in the front diff of the F150 in the signature. For the 10 times a year it gets engaged, the same lube as the rear would make sense if it came in a 5 gallon pail. The 7.5 rear is in the boy's latest acquisition, a 2008 ranger single cab 2.3l MT XL special. It's rear axle howls a bit so just swapping fluid to see what is up doesn't require high zoot lube. I guess I'll forget the Triax peepee juice.
Just get some Valvoline or Mobil 1 then, they both cost the same. Though honestly, if you want to try and fix a hauling diff with oil, I would suggest Red Line 75W-140, as it's overloaded with Phosphorus. Yes, it's more expensive, but well worth it for that particular application. Chances are it will work for your diff.

Looking for a 75w140 gear oil for 3 axles (2 different trucks). Found this 5 gallon pail that would make changes easy. I'm running motorcraft 75w140 in the axles now. Says POA in the title, not that i'm hung up on that, but SDS shows different? Would this be serviceable oil in ford 7.5, 8.8 and 9.25 axles? price is right for a decent quantity.

View attachment 203894

View attachment 203893

The oil is called gear max, the sds is not for gear max?

Just get some Valvoline or Mobil 1 then, they both cost the same. Though honestly, if you want to try and fix a hauling diff with oil, I would suggest Red Line 75W-140, as it's overloaded with Phosphorus. Yes, it's more expensive, but well worth it for that particular application. Chances are it will work for your diff.
We can give that a try. Thanks.

Back