Is Mazda winning the SUV market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a couple SUV's. Mazda doesn't make anything that would compete with either one in their respective categories.

Originally Posted by 02SE
We have a couple SUV's. Mazda doesn't make anything that would compete with either one in their respective categories.

Curious what and why?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Mazda is building the new plant in Alabama. MTMUS.

And yes they are at full capacity.

I'll stick with Made in Japan Mazdas, though.

That might depend on what comes out of MTMUS. The new CX-X is supposed to slot in between the CX5 and CX9. That might be the sweet spot for US buyers. Also a hybrid or EV model is planned. The plant will be highly automated.

Already, the major suppliers are setting up in the vicinity as well, mainly Japanese companies.

Side note; am I the only one that sees the new MTMUS abbreviation and thinks MotorMouse?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Mazda is building the new plant in Alabama. MTMUS.

And yes they are at full capacity.

I'll stick with Made in Japan Mazdas, though.

Think he has an X6M or X5M IIRC.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Curious what and why?

Overkill is right, an X6 M, and a new 4Runner. The wife mainly drives the X6 M. The 4Runner replaced the 22 year old 4Runner we had. The X6 M is like a tall AWD sports coupe, with an overabundance of power. We live in a mountainous area at higher altitude, with lots of snow. The power and AWD are great here. The 4Runner is just a tough, reliable, trail capable SUV.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Ws6
Honestly, the thread title is misleading. Mazda is selling well but they will never sell the millions that Toyota or Honda sell. They just don't have the manufacturing capacity.

Buyers do appreciate the bang for the buck though.

Exactly, and the cx5 especially is punching above its weight both in delivery and in sales.

Perhaps Mazda should build more? Are they at capacity?
Demand exceeding capacity is a great problem for a company to have.
They can build a factory and/or increase price.

I don't know much about Mazdas except people seem to love 'em.
Make mine a Wankel RX7.

Mazda does not have a manufacturing capacity problem, and if they do it's over capacity not under capacity. They sold their sole US plant in Flat Rock, Michigan because they has too much manufacturing capacity, and they're currently building Mazda2's for Toyota to sell as Yaris's for the same reason. The CX-5 is selling well for Mazda with 2019 sales of 154k in the US which is a modest increase of the 2018 sales of 150k. But it's not punching above it's weight class if you consider Toyota sold 448k RAV4's and Honda sold 384k CR-V's in 2019. The CX-5 represent's just over half of Mazda's US sales which is a problem since sales of the once popular 3 and 6 continue to fall year after year. I think a better title for this thread would be "Is the CX-5 keeping Mazda above water in the US".

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures/

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/honda-cr-v-sales-figures/

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-us-suv-sales-figures-by-model/

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Ws6
It's called they are producing excellent vehicles with very good interiors at very affordable prices. They are the Toyota of 1990. And you are talking like our grandparents talked in 1990, about Toyota, lol!

I see you've been brainwashed too...

I own one (2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL AWD). Saved $5,000.00 over the Toyo/Honda.

Over on another board-a guy was cross shopping the Lincoln Aviator and the Kia Telluride. He couldn't come up with compelling enough evidence to spend $21,000,00 more on the Lincoln.

Ordered a fully loaded Telluride for the $21,000.00 savings....................

Being less expensive hadley makes it a better vehicle, only cheaper...

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Ws6
It's called they are producing excellent vehicles with very good interiors at very affordable prices. They are the Toyota of 1990. And you are talking like our grandparents talked in 1990, about Toyota, lol!

I see you've been brainwashed too...

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Please explain how I live in a glass house...

I was under the impression that Flat Rock was a Mazda/Ford joint venture?

Also, sales should be looked at globally, something that gets missed here quite often. While the US is a important market, other markets like China cannot be discounted.

https://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/release/

Unfortunately the Mazda reports are monthly instead of annual.

The introduction of the CX30 and the upcoming CX-X is in response to consumers wanting a slightly bigger vehicle in certain respects.

That might depend on what comes out of MTMUS. The new CX-X is supposed to slot in between the CX5 and CX9. That might be the sweet spot for US buyers. Also a hybrid or EV model is planned. The plant will be highly automated.

Already, the major suppliers are setting up in the vicinity as well, mainly Japanese companies.

Side note; am I the only one that sees the new MTMUS abbreviation and thinks MotorMouse?

I would expect their SUV to go bigger than CX-9. CX-9 is already on a small side in that segment. American suburbia goes by: bigger is better.

The apparent trend for Mazda is to get bigger by stretching out current models. The CX30 is a slightly stretched CX3. The biggest complaint from consumers was the lack of cargo space on the CX3. The CX30 solves that.

The upcoming CX-X could very well be a similar stretching of the CX5. Only Mazda knows for sure.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Curious what and why?

Overkill is right, an X6 M, and a new 4Runner. The wife mainly drives the X6 M. The 4Runner replaced the 22 year old 4Runner we had. The X6 M is like a tall AWD sports coupe, with an overabundance of power. We live in a mountainous area at higher altitude, with lots of snow. The power and AWD are great here. The 4Runner is just a tough, reliable, trail capable SUV.

That makes sense. Yeah, mazda will probably not compete at that level, but they are looking at SA-X in I6 format, which could get interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back