Is life really too short?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Life is too short if you think you have goals but don't do anything to accomplish them. Near the end, you know you don't have much time left.

Otherwise, it is what it is. Don't dwell on the past as it's gone, and don't be anxious about the future as it hasn't happened yet. Focus on today and plan for tomorrow.

Again, one of those rare times we agree
cheers3.gif

I am 72. I try to stay healthy and eat right, go to the gym, recently became a firearm instructor, started playing cornet again, read a lot of science, waste time on BITOG...As someone once said: "You either bet better or worse-you don't stay the same. Statistically IO know I have fewer years ahead and behind. I want to make them full!

If you "wish" you could do such and such- you never will..wishing is not the answer. Buy a book on quotes from successful people. There are common threads that they share!!

Last edited:
Just wait till you get older. Time really starts flying by. I just hit 55 and my 40th was just a few weeks ago it seems.

Originally Posted By: 2dogs
Sometime I look in mirror and say "who is that old man looking at me?"

I went to a restaurant to have dinner with some old friends. Before dinner arrived, I went to the men's room. On returning, as I approached the table, I had to reflect on it being one of those tables of "old men"... and I'm one of them. Ah, we had a good dinner, with lively conversation, anyway.

Well I always say it is heck to get old, but it beats the alternative. I am about to turn 75 on St. Pats day, and the time seems to go faster every year. My bones feel old, but my brain says I am still young.

Im 53, married to a good woman, have 6 kids (5 boys and a girl). Life had its ups and downs but I don't want to stay in this life forever.
Actually I look forward to my death one day.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm 28 and I kind of miss the days that I only had a bike and not a care in the world.

Life typically gets more complicated (for many reasons) as you get older. Most older people look back and remember when life was simpler in their younger years.

I'll be 74 soon - had the motorcycle out last week (along with a bunch of other crazies) for the first Spring run.

I think life is too short if you die too soon (literally & figuratively)

But life does seem to unravel like a roll of toilet paper - faster toward the end
56.gif

For example will a person who's 85 years old sit down and wonder where all that time went? I'm 28 and I kind of miss the days that I only had a bike and not a care in the world.

Don't dwell on the past or present. There's an eternity awaiting you that's much better than the place we're currently in.
For instance: There are a number of people you haven't seen since your bike-riding years ended. You will see those people again, so look forward to it - beginning today.

What lies ahead of us is better than anything right in front of you today..... or yesterday. Be not afraid to enter that new sphere either. Embrace it when it arrives on your body's doorstep.

Last edited:
Life is very short and the time I spend on the internet makes it even shorter. Time flies by when I'm online. If I want to get something accomplished, I need to stay off the internet.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: pandus13
M.O.M, You need a girlfriend!

Women make me crazy.

Yea but they are great! I wish I could have more than one but doing so would considerably shorten my life.
lol.gif

All guys are stinkers .

All women are problems .

Accept that , and try to find a good woman and try to be the best , most positive of stinkers . Then get on with your life .

I got out of the hospital yesterday . Had a " procedure " / test the day before . Previous to it , I had several prayers .

After talking with God , I was OK to get the test / procedure done . Sooner the better to get it over with .

What did concern me most was if I went before my Wife . Spoke with oldest son & asked him to help her manage her finances , in that situation .

I was not worrying about myself . Things were OK between me and God .

My Wife and I are of the age where we are much closer to the end of our journey , than the beginning of out journey .

Last edited:
This makes me think of something regarding my parents. They are retired now.

When they were raising me and my siblings, they had to work, a LOT, so they couldn't spend a lot of time with us.

Now that they are done working, they finally have time to spend with us. But we are also grown now and have to work to support our own, so we STILL don't have time!

We try to get together on occasion, but life is ironic.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Life is too short if you think you have goals but don't do anything to accomplish them. Near the end, you know you don't have much time left.

Otherwise, it is what it is. Don't dwell on the past as it's gone, and don't be anxious about the future as it hasn't happened yet. Focus on today and plan for tomorrow.

At 83, the above is good advice. I can tell you everything is winding down way too fast, but I'm going to fight it as long as I can.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Im 53, married to a good woman, have 6 kids (5 boys and a girl). Life had its ups and downs but I don't want to stay in this life forever.
Actually I look forward to my death one day.

Can't imagine rasing 6 kids. What does 6 kids give you tht 2 cant..or even bettert..zero?
I can sort of imagine why you feel the way you feel. Two was hard enough. Kids are like a guy buying a boat. Getting a boat is the second bwest thing that life offers and getting rid of it was the best.

The happiest of your married life was before we had kids and when the second was gone, 20 years ago its been mostly bliss again!! But in any event..unless your life sucks you dont/shouldn't (IMHO) look forward to death..not even in another 25 years.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
This makes me think of something regarding my parents. They are retired now.

When they were raising me and my siblings, they had to work, a LOT, so they couldn't spend a lot of time with us.

Now that they are done working, they finally have time to spend with us. But we are also grown now and have to work to support our own, so we STILL don't have time!

We try to get together on occasion, but life is ironic.

Be sure to get together at the major holidays . This will build good memories for your kids and for you , after they are gone .

I'm now closer to 85 than 28 and I can tell you that life really is too short, if you have much of a life.
I can recall telling my wife twenty years ago that it was now about half over for us, but that was more okay twenty years ago.
You find a woman with whom you're very happy and who feels the same about you and you get married.
You have children who then go out on their own in the world and do the same, giving you grandchildren who you cherish.
Meanwhile, you find a good career path and work at until very close to retirement, as I am now, at which point you just do a superb job based upon your many years of experience, but you probably don't do a lot of creative above and beyond stuff at work, as I no longer do.
Once I've reached an age where I'm no longer very functional, then I would gladly accept death's embrace.
What if anything lies thereafter none of us actually know not having gone there.
We will all find out, though.

Dear yonder varlet!

Life is too short only if it gets cut short or if you make unwise use of the time given to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back