Is it true European service intervals run as high as 20k miles?

I was just reading comments on an international forum that oil change intervals spec'd by the mfrs can be as much as 20k miles. They think we're nuts for adhering to 3k or 5k.
Do the same mfrs spec different intervals depending on destination?

Much of Europe uses km, not miles. That said, it is not unusual to see car manufacturers' OCI recommendations in the 15,000 to 20,000 km range. That mandates fully synthetic oil that is heavily fortified with additives to last the distance.

I was just reading comments on an international forum that oil change intervals spec'd by the mfrs can be as much as 20k miles.
That is just about correct if a little inflated. 15k km oil change intervals have been common for decades and now some spec up to 30k km intervals.
They think we're nuts for adhering to 3k or 5k.
They don't have to support the number of quick lube places. we have. Many people have their oil changes done at their local gas station. The other guys are always nuts, no matter where you are. You'll think they are nuts when you find out what an oil change may cost them.
The vehicles may not be equipped the same depending on the destination market. Flexible service displays were common in Europe before they started catching on here. Until some years ago, not even the fuel was the same in some regards (sulfur content). The manual and service instructions should be tailored to the destination market.

30km intervals, isn't a fixed interval. It's decided on the ECU, when taken into account many factors such as engine run time, oil temperature, etc.

I was just reading comments on an international forum that oil change intervals spec'd by the mfrs can be as much as 20k miles. They think we're nuts for adhering to 3k or 5k.

22k or 2 years in my case

That is just about correct if a little inflated. 15k km oil change intervals have been common for decades and now some spec up to 30k km intervals.

They don't have to support the number of quick lube places. we have. Many people have their oil changes done at their local gas station. The other guys are always nuts, no matter where you are. You'll think they are nuts when you find out what an oil change may cost them.

The vehicles may not be equipped the same depending on the destination market. Flexible service displays were common in Europe before they started catching on here. Until some years ago, not even the fuel was the same in some regards (sulfur content). The manual and service instructions should be tailored to the destination market.
35000 km since 2010...

That's possible on low sulfur fuels. The interval is also based on time (ex, 2 yrs). Of course Europeans drive less than Americans on average so I guess they bump up on the 2yr limit more often.
Some yearly averages in miles driven:
Germany - 8,400 miles,
Italy - 5,600 miles.
France - 6,000 miles.

US - 14,000.

Last edited:
Original post is talking about MILES.
Then the conversion turned to KILOMETERS (km).

15,000 km = 9,320 miles
20,000 km = 12,427
25,000 km = 15,534
30,000 km = 18,641
Thank you. Yes the discussion I mentioned was in MILES.
2 years or 20,000 miles OCI, specified by the mfr--not oil companies.

I guess if my Chevy had some engine problem blamed on lubrication I should say "I'm from Germany and this engine goes 20k miles between oil changes there, why not here?"

Euro Spec oil has more additives and usually a PAO or Ester base stock hence the longer OCI I believe. Most U.S spec motor oils are highly refined crude being called Synthetic. Oh and GTL base stock can be called Full Synthetic here in the U.S.
Wrong, PAO and Ester are pretty rare, only a few smaller brands make PAO / Ester oils like Liqui Moly, Meguin ( Owned by LM ) , Rowe, Motul.
And the days of manufacturers recommending Full Saps oils are long gone, With DPFs and now GPFs that is over.

Last edited:
But yes, 30.000km / 24 month intervals are not unusual in many modern cars, i believe most modern Vag group engines are 30k km / 24 month, and that's on Group 3 Mid saps or even low saps oils.

But you can cut the oil interval if you wish, a friend of mine is changing oil more frequently in his petrol golf - the dealer said you have one more year until the service but he insisted to change oil per year and 5 k miles witch come first. Lot of city driving.

Back