Is it okay to use aftermarket sensors instead of OEM on Hondas?

Just wondering, I have a 2009 Honda Civic GX with a bad transmission pressure switch/sensor and a bad wheel speed sensor. Is it okay to replace these with Autozone or Oreilly parts or do I have to get the OEM?

I just had to put a aftermarket (RockAuto) LR Speed sensor in my 2017 CRV because a National Backorder from Honda. It’s been 5 days and all ok 🤞. On a 2009 I would go aftermarket if you save money. But let me tell you I could have got the sensor for 55$ from an online Honda Dealer and I would pickup but again back order rockauto was 56 plus shipping and AutoZone was 115$. So check the Honda online sites

Reactions: hrv
answer is it depends.

last ABS sensor I purchased was a Standard brand for my Ram.. bought it at O Reilly's.

after replacement it caused all sorts of intermittent speed faults which I thought were something else, because it would default and lose although I could watch signal on scanner and signal never disappeared. Drove me all around the diagnostic tree over the course of several months.. because sometimes it would work fine for weeks at a time.

Iplayed with this situation for months,,, trying to repair it and finally I finally said to myself,
maybe it is the aftermarket sensor..

I actually paid less for the sensor from Mopar... and another issue was it was back ordered, this was during covid,... but that new Mopar ABS sensor fixed problem immediately

.. so depending on how critical the sensor is and how easy it is to replace as well as cost difference would be how I made a determination but I learned my lesson.

Autozone usually tells you in the description that the transmission sensors or solenoids are made by rostra. I put rostra pressure switches and solenoids on my Honda Accord transmission from Autozone abs it’s been fine.

Just wondering, I have a 2009 Honda Civic GX with a bad transmission pressure switch/sensor and a bad wheel speed sensor. Is it okay to replace these with Autozone or Oreilly parts or do I have to get the OEM?
If it's not something you want to do again use an OEM sensor. I see so many new aftermarket parts junk right out of the box it would make your head spin. Some of them just plain send the wrong data to the ECM and cause at best DTCs (had a fuel tank pressure sensor falsely indicating an evap leak) or worse make the vehicle undrivable (had a MAF sensor for a Volvo cause the engine to run so rich it was undrivable and wouldn't idle). I've also had wheel speed sensors from AutoZone (for a Ford escape to be exact) send nothing but random noise to the abs module.

If I wasn't going to use an OEM sensor I would not:

1)Buy it from Amazon.

2)Buy it from Ebay (unless it's clearly a NOS (new old stock) part).

I would:

1)Buy a reputable brand like SMP or Wells

2)From a reputable source like Rockauto or NAPA

I put a Dorman TPS in a '98 CRV but only because the broke college kid couldn't afford OEM. It's actually been ok for a couple years which shocks me because Dorman is usually especially horrible with anything electric/electronic

I put a Vatozone $10 AC clutch relay in my 06 Acura and it worked fine the whole summer.

If I wasn't going to use an OEM sensor I would not:

1)Buy it from Amazon.

2)Buy it from Ebay (unless it's clearly a NOS (new old stock) part).

I would:

1)Buy a reputable brand like SMP or Wells

2)From a reputable source like Rockauto or NAPA
Isn't Wells the same as Dorman?

How hard to replace, if easy use aftermarket and likely won’t fail. If hard to replace then I’d consider using OEM parts given they last a long time.

I dont sell or install aftermarket electrical/engine management parts unless there is no other alternative. I got real tired of replacing parts under warranty every 6 months until I paid for OE out of my pocket to keep a customer happy.

Reactions: D60
For those two particular sensors you should be fine with aftermarket, just not aftermarket junk. I've also use Rostra stuff in transmissions before. If it's an easy to change wheel speed sensor, you should be fine as well, but go with something good like Standard, etc.

Back