Is it a good idea to activate ABS once in a while?

This is a quick question. Is it a good idea to activate ABS say on snow or gravel every few months? My thinking is it is, so the fluid gets circulated in the system and the ABS motor gets "fresh" fluid.. Also my thinking is activating the ABS, it prevents the motor from freezing up or anything like that from lack of use..

I know on some vehicles in the past that I have owned you would hear the ABS engage/power cycle at around 3 to 4 miles an hour on the first start and move of the car, but these were on older vehicles (2003 Acura TL as example) and I have not heard the ABS activate on the first start and move on any of my Hyundai or Kia vehicles. If i also remember correctly, my Saturns would also power cycle the ABS once you start moving.

So good idea?. I have been doing this for years, and i've never had a "issue" regarding the ABS motor or anything like that related to the ABS systems... Another thing i do is keep up on brake fluid flushes/changes... so maybe that's why i have not had ABS issues along with using the ABS once in a while... This is an honest question ;)

Whats your thinking on this?

Thanks!. 🙏

many cars equipped with ABS will cycle or test check the ABS system upon start up...I don't think you ever need to activate the ABS for a test but I also don't think it can hurt the system...I'm able to "test" my ABS if the roads are either wet or snow covered anyway so...

Good luck with your car,

Bill

I like the idea, but wouldn't worry. The pump is "drowned" in fluid and lubricated everywhere.

We bleed brakes to get the moisture and "black goo" out. This stuff mostly forms near the calipers due to heat and being the low point in the system.

But maybe there are low points in a particular ABS pump, too!

I do this, OP… primarily in the snow, when I know traction is low, and in very controlled circumstances. Notionally the dummy light would tell if there was an issue, but I figure it’s good to make the system work as intended.

I'm sure all cars do a self test of the abs system at start up and if it fails a code would be thrown. My Audi A4 does one that is audible from the driver's seat at 24 mph. Several rapid muted pulsing sounds from around the driver's footwell.
Here is a mention of it from a random Google.

I activate ABS on Super
Tenere every time I swing a leg over it each ride. This is a byproduct of braking drills I practice to determine stopping distance and reaction time for accident prevention.

Probably would be a good idea to do it in my 4 wheeled vehicles as well.

Jumping in with a side issue here: When I get my brakes fully flushed, does the ABS system have to be remotely activated by the shop to get old residual fluid out of the pump/block? I had heard/read that old fluid can sit in the ABS block, never get changed, and turns to gunk if the system is never activated by calm drivers. General question, but the vehicles in question are a '03 Mazda Protege' and a new '21 Mazda CX-5.

Jumping in with a side issue here: When I get my brakes fully flushed, does the ABS system have to be remotely activated by the shop to get old residual fluid out of the pump/block? I had heard/read that old fluid can sit in the ABS block, never get changed, and turns to gunk if the system is never activated by calm drivers. General question, but the vehicles in question are a '03 Mazda Protege' and a new '21 Mazda CX-5.

I'm about 20 years behind on ABS systems, simply because my vehicles are that old.

I would think that when you get the service brakes flushed, the ABS and the "block" gets flushed as well. Unless the ABS has a separate brake fluid reservoir (like my Legend).

Not sure about other makes, but my 92 MB, current 08 MB, 07 Jetta, and 97 Blazer all require/required a manual exercising activated by a scan tool (or jumper across the noid connector for the Blazer) to purge/flush the ABS.

I have Forscan for my Fords and it does have an option to ABS bleed the system, if the car supports it. I know mine does and there is a sequence to follow.

I never really thought about it consciously, but occasionally I’ll purposely lock up the brakes on ice just so I’ll activate the ABS. I guess I’m doing to see if it’s working, but I never considered doing it to cycle the pump or solenoids. Makes sense.

Yes, it's a "good" idea. Mechanical things that go unused often fail. The "self test" or buzz when you start driving does not necessarily circulate anything, and it certainly does NOT operate the actuators out to the wheels, which are a major part of the system too, not just the pump. My 90 Acura had a separate reservoir and a "pressure accumulator". All the little self-test did every start is make sure there was sufficient pressure in the accumulator. Generally no fluid really moved anywhere and no solenoids were activated. I ended up having issues there (long time ago).

Whether fluid gets cycled through depends on your habits and how thorough you are about your brake bleeding/fluid change. How often do you do it, and do you get out the smartphone/laptop/diagnostic unit and do the full factory procedure that includes running the bleed program for the ABS loops, or do you swear by "the good old days" and think this electronic stuff is a load of hooey?

I for one had my eyes opened by the service cycle that my 2011 BMW does. Previously I was always a two person brake/clutch bleed, targeting annual changes, with intentional ABS lockup in the winters to cycle those loops. Starting with this vehicle, I used the car's brake bleed mode. It does a LOT more than cycle the pump and it's far from current generation. Point being - it's not always a dealer conspiracy to take your money when electronics/computers are required/recommended. The tools/apps can be inexpensive, sometimes free.

It's useful as a driver to exercise the ABS in slippery conditions just to get/maintain the feel of how the vehicle will respond in a limit handling situation. In a location where you and the vehicle aren't in jeopardy, of course.

When I get my brakes fully flushed, does the ABS system have to be remotely activated by the shop to get old residual fluid out of the pump/block? I had heard/read that old fluid can sit in the ABS block
On my Infiniti, the field service manual indicates that you need to 'unplug' the ABS "actuator and electric unit" before flushing fluid. My guess is this allows fluid to flow through the ABS module (🤷‍♂️).

Back