Is Fram OK now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... I don't know because I was saying why don't companies use plastic type end caps like they do for cartridge filters.
Why use end caps at all on cartridge filters? Not everybody does. No-end-cap designs have several advantages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Many cartridge filters use plastic type end caps to pot the glue. That would be a good upgrade to the EG and TG and maybe they would have better centered caps with no loose glue.

If there was a problem with the cardboard end caps they would have changed them by now, they changed the abdv instead.
They also use the cardboard end caps on the TG.
What is the point in metal end caps if the media tears off them like a puro?

Fram Filtration certainly saw value in metal end caps when they (briefly) had the Carquest contract, manufacturing CQ Red spin-on filters as essentially EG's with metal end caps and often flush style BPV's as used by Champion Labs in some models, the CQ Blue spin-ons were similarly essentially TG's with metal end caps and same BPV variations.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Many cartridge filters use plastic type end caps to pot the glue. That would be a good upgrade to the EG and TG and maybe they would have better centered caps with no loose glue.

If there was a problem with the cardboard end caps they would have changed them by now, they changed the abdv instead.

Fram Filtration certainly saw value in metal end caps when they (briefly) had the Carquest contract, manufacturing CQ Red spin-on filters as essentially EG's with metal end caps and often flush style BPV's as used by Champion Labs in some models, the CQ Blue spin-ons were similarly essentially TG's with metal end caps and same BPV variations.
From what I've seen, the CQ Blue and Reds appeared to be a Champ Labs design, with the Blue basically using the same media as a Champ Mobil 1 filter, and the Red using regular cellulose with metal end caps, like the recently posted Service Champ. Now that Fram & Champ have split up, if Fram started making a CQ Red, it would look like WM TLE or Super Tech, an Ecore. Not that there's anything wrong with an Ecore or an Extra Guard-IN SHORT INTERVALS! I don't care what Fram states, I'm not going past 5K on the fiber end cap filters, too many instances of bent media, leaking/off center glue jobs, etc. Now the Ultra is a different story...

I don't know because I was saying why don't companies use plastic type end caps like they do for cartridge filters.

I think they use the plastic on cartridges because the filter has to seal with an o ring to whatever it is on the engine it mates too. There's no plotting issues with metal end caps that's for sure. Lots of good filters on the market with metal end caps.

Who really knows what is cheaper with fiber vs. metal end caps on a spin on. If fiber really was cheaper, I personally think we'd see more fiber end capped filters on the market.

A video went around many years ago where a standard Fram OCOD was cut apart, new, revealing a good sized hole in the media where the seam was not correctly attached. This happens with other filters and is not exclusive to Fram but this video got around a lot (nearly viral) and boosted Fram's poor reputation.

I would not buy a Fram when other better-made filters are available at the same price, or cheaper. If for some crazy reason the only filter available was a Fram, of course I would use it, and I would not worry (much) for the first few thousand miles. After that mileage, the oil really starts collecting/suspending debris and honestly I would change it out at my earliest convenience.

I have heard the Fram Ultra Guard (UG) is one of the best filters on the market today. NOT to be compared to the Fram XG OCOD.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
I have heard the Fram Ultra Guard (UG) is one of the best filters on the market today. NOT to be compared to the Fram XG OCOD.

EG = Extra Guard = Orange Can

TG = Tough Guard = Silver Can

XG = Ultra = Gold Can

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I just put a Fram extra guard on a Nissan Cube. They’re good for short intervals, 5k or less
What do you believe happens at 5001?

Originally Posted By: CR94

That is a red herring statement. Everything has margins outside what the ratings for it may be.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
good filters i just put a tough guard on my nova.

I just put a TG on my civic. Mainly cuz I'm doing 4k OCIs but wouldn't go any more than 4k. Having said that, I'm going with more synthetic media of FU next.

Last edited:
Yes, my pretties, keep using the TGs
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: nike360baller
Originally Posted By: jakewells
good filters i just put a tough guard on my nova.

I just put a TG on my civic. Mainly cuz I'm doing 4k OCIs but wouldn't go any more than 4k. Having said that, I'm going with more synthetic media of FU next.

I tried to find a ultra for my car locally but no one carries a XG30 i had to settle with a tough guard.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I just put a Fram extra guard on a Nissan Cube. They’re good for short intervals, 5k or less
Probably the same thing that happens at 4999-not much-but I wouldn't push one beyond 7500, there's been some examples of bent pleats & pulled in endcaps on the engineered media Frams with high mileage. When Ultras are (generally) available for $25-$30/6 pack on eBay, I don't really see the need to spend $7.50 on a lesser TG.

Ultras have disappeared from several of my local auto parts houses including the national chains. My local WalMart still carries some models but I notice high volume models are never there anymore whereas previously, they might sell out but be back on the shelf a week later.

Personally, I don't find that much of a difference between the TG and XG for a 5K mile OCI as I doubt the media or end cap difference is likely to make it's presence known in that time.

A friend ran Castrol 10w-30 and OCOD in his 88 Toyota pickup and ran it up to 300k miles with no issues running 3k oil/filter changes. To bad it was a NJ vehicle and died a rusty death.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Ultras have disappeared from several of my local auto parts houses including the national chains. My local WalMart still carries some models but I notice high volume models are never there anymore whereas previously, they might sell out but be back on the shelf a week later.

They seemed to disappear from at least one Walmart, here, too. Now, considering our Walmarts never seem to have filter specials, I doubt they'd be able to compete with Canadian Tire or Partsource on Fram Ultra sales numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back