Is Fram OK now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the past I have read/heard to avoid the "OCOD" for either the end caps not being made of metal, poor quality control, or hearing people claim with Fram filters they have lower oil pressure. However everything I see recently shows the "OCOD" holding up ok, and the TG and Ultra are even better. And they all now have Silicone ADBV's. So is the "OCOD" OK? It is very affordable at Walmart near me, only thing cheaper is a Supertech filter. Yes Fram, or no Fram and why? Thanks so much.

I will not put Fram on anything out of principle and why bother when alternatives with a better reputation are readily available, such as Wix!

Last edited:
I'm thinking there was never anything wrong with Fram - just people that don't know any better saying they're garbage because "they're made of paper!"

I used only Fram oil filters when my wife owned a 2012 Mazda3 with the 2.0L Skyactiv engine. Why? Fram was the only filter maker to list the proper oil filter when the car first came out. Other filter makers goofed and said to use the same oil filter used on the other, older 2.0L engine which has a different thread size. The end-caps aren't cardboard and don't flake apart. Use without worry.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm thinking there was never anything wrong with Fram - just people that don't know any better saying they're garbage because "they're made of paper!"

That sums it up nicely in my book.

I use fram because i got them for .75c from tractor supply. They seem to be working for me.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I will not put Fram on anything out of principle and why bother when alternatives with a better reputation are readily available, such as Wix!

What principle would that be?

Many cut-and-posts here prove they are quality filters that do the job they were designed for. You will never find agreement here on what’s the best filter, but they have multiple models and price points so you can’t go wrong.

I won’t use an ExtraGuard or ToughGuard on anything I own. I do have an Ultra Synthetic XG4957 on my new Toro zero turn mower. Experience with the OCOD is my reason for not using the two lower tier filters.

The Fram orange can has been improved for several years now. More pleats in the pH 8 or ph 2, and pH 16 sizes has made those a fair amount better than they used to be. The other sizes like 7317, 6607, 4386, 4967, 3593a plus other sizes have also had some added media to improve their strength. The Fram orange can is a filter that can be run without any worries. I could be wrong but I think the Fram Ultra being made has good as it had been at the time... Also led to improvements being made to the tiered filters below the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
The only problems I have with OCOD is the price. They seem pricey for what they are.

It's essentially a WIX/ NAPA Gold for under $4.

There was never anything wrong with Fram, just a bunch of hocus pocus claims that never had any merit. Run them with confidence, especially the Ultra! It's perhaps the best filter money can buy at the moment. I stocked up on a bunch of TG's during the TSC clearance and have no qualms about using them for 10k miles they are rated for if I wanted.

Probably the same people that say Pennzoil sludges up engines! Lol

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
The only problems I have with OCOD is the price. They seem pricey for what they are.

It's essentially a WIX/ NAPA Gold for under $4.
How did you come to that conclusion?

There three levels of Fram: Extraguard, Toughguard and Ultra. It’s senseless to discuss a Fram in general, because the Fram Ultra is one of the best filters available while the other two are lesser than the Ultra.

coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back