Is Castrol Edge 0W40 qualify as Dexos2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: SR5
Just to add, but it may not help the OP, Castrol Australia has two Edge 0W40 oils:

Edge 0W40 A3/B4, SN, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40
Edge 0W40 C3, SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, Dexos2

[Link Castrol Oz Edge]

We still do not have 0W40 C3. I would be first to use it in BMW if we had it.

Do you know how many Dexos1 oils I have easy access to ?
Two !! Penrite Enviro+ 5W30 and SynPower DX1 5W30

How many Dexos oils do you have ? Loads I'm sure.

In Oz we have loads of ACEA oils, and I have no problem with that.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Is your engine basically the same as the Corvette, that recommends 15W50 for track use?
If that was my car, I would likely use a HDEO synthetic 10W40 HTHS of 4.0-4.5

Yes, it is the same engine. I believe that the Camaro recommendation for 5w40 vs the Corvette's 15w50 is because the Camaro has a larger facia that allow better cooling. The corvette over heat on the track much faster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Is it though? Not trying to prove you wrong but many API SN Energy Conserving formulas in a 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 are approved for Dexos 1 and by association are not full SAPS oils. Just wanting clarification.

You're both right. The dexos2 specification tends to be linked to ACEA C3 products, so is specifically and formally not a full SAPS product. A dexos1 product could be full SAPS, but in practice, this isn't always the case, as you indicate.

Originally Posted By: mbar1
Is your engine basically the same as the Corvette, that recommends 15W50 for track use?

Yes, it is the same engine. I believe that the Camaro recommendation for 5w40 vs the Corvette's 15w50 is because the Camaro has a larger facia that allow better cooling. The corvette over heat on the track much faster.

If it's the same engine,I'd just use 15W50,or maybe meet in the middle with 5W50.

Originally Posted By: mbar1

New Z28's spec 15w50 for track use too.

I know the new LT1 is specced for 15w50 for track use but are we talking LS or LT1s? With C7's there are dry sump and wet sump setups stock. Does the Camaro and the Vette have the same oil pump as well?

The fascia difference doesn't seem like that would be the difference.

[/quote]

New Z28's spec 15w50 for track use too.

I know the new LT1 is specced for 15w50 for track use but are we talking LS or LT1s? With C7's there are dry sump and wet sump setups stock. Does the Camaro and the Vette have the same oil pump as well?

The fascia difference doesn't seem like that would be the difference.

[/quote]

The 2016 Camaro SS has the same LT1 direct injection engine. I'm not sure which sump system it has, however it takes 10 quarts of oil like the Stingray

How different are the Camaro & Corvette engines to the 420 HP 6.2L available in the 1500s?
With the "Max Towing" option, is there an optional engine oil grade, or is 0W20 the only one?
The truck engine could be working harder at lower speeds than the cars, which would tax the cooling system.

Last edited:
Let's define "track use" . I'd say your engine should be operating at 6000 rpm for extended periods of time. If it's not, you're just a pretender and can go back to 5w30.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back