GM Rewards Mastercard / points used for service

Curious if anyone has a GM Rewards Mastercard and if one can use points toward any service at a GM dealer. I'm a bit of a credit card churner, if there's a good enough offer, I'll sign up. Then months down the road (whatever time period the fine print permits) I'll close it and wait for another.

I never had a use for a GM credit card, that is until I broke my power/memory seat module on my Buick. Shortly after buying the car I bought the SPS subscription for the vehicle and used my Chinese MDI2 clone to update all the modules to the newest calibrations. Evidently the memory seat module can't be programmed with the Chinese clones-- this is reported across various GM forums, Corvette and others. It begins programming and errors out halfway through rendering the module useless; thus I've had no drivers power seat, mirrors or memory functions since I bought the car. The fix is to purchase a genuine MDI2 or pay the dealer to reprogram.

I seriously considered the former since I work on enough GM vehicles to make it half worthwhile, but then again my clone has been working fine except seat modules. Enter the GM credit card promotion which I received today, $250 worth of GM points after signup.

The advertisement is sort of vague, it just says the points can be used for "GM Certified Services like oil changes, tire purchases, etc." I don't know if module programming fits the "GM certified services" criteria. I figure if it does, the $250 in free points would likely pay for module reprogramming, which I wouldn't do otherwise because: A) the seats/mirrors are in the perfect position, B) the wife can't drive it with the seats in current position (half joking, but not really) and C) I have better things to spend money on.

Is any service/repair at a participating GM dealer considered "certified services"?

That’s a good question. We have do the same thing as you do with certain cards.
And like you do also go over these agreements with a microscope

I did a quick search and I would think that certified service means what they call the service department at General Motors dealerships. “ GM certified service”

I could be wrong, but just put in the search engine. What does GM certified service mean?

And that’s what I pretty much keep coming up with getting service oat a GM dealer is GM certified service

As an aside, a big benefit of the GM card is it will double the rebate on their twice-annual tire sales. These are big rebates (up to $100 a set alone, but up to $200 with card - and they will price-match locally).

The tire sale is usually every APR/MAY and OCT/NOV.

To answer your main question, I have understood any service done at a GM dealer counts towards the points and that’s how it has accrued in my experience.

To answer your main question, I have understood any service done at a GM dealer counts towards the points and that’s how it has accrued in my experience.
The big question is whether you can redeem points for any service at a participating GM dealer. I'm not interested in earning points, just using the free ones I'll be getting.

Wow, good information. Ever since they changed the rules on the GM Mastercard program and don't allow it to be used along with the GM employee purchase program, I've had points expire unused. I'll use them for maintenance now.

From the T&Cs:

GM Service/Parts/Accessories/OnStar/GM Financial/SiriusXM​

Cardmembers are eligible to redeem toward qualifying GM purchases, including customer paid Certified Service, parts and accessories purchased at an authorized GM dealership or online, as well as eligible GM subscription services, including most OnStar and Connected Services plans, SiriusXM subscriptions and Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Protection Plans. Cardmembers can redeem points at the point of transaction at participating GM dealerships, or by using their My GM Rewards Mastercard to make an eligible purchase and logging in to mygmrewardscard.com to redeem for a statement credit. Cardmembers can also redeem points toward eligible GM Financial monthly charges. Log in to mygmrewardscard.com for more details.

I have a card but only use it to keep it active and don’t have a need for dealer service. Opened an older version of the card mostly with the potential intent of the new vehicle rebate.

So is it safe to assume that "certified service" means any service at a GM dealer that accepts points (probably most will)? When they mentioned oil changes, tires, etc., I thought they might be limiting it to certain services.

I took the chance and signed up. Got a reasonable credit limit and 12 mos. interest free purchases. Just have to spend $1K in 3mos to get the $250 rewards. I hope this pans out for my seat module repair. If nothing else, I'll use it to rack up purchases for 12 months, while I keep that spent money in a high interest savings account, which has a decent return these days.

Resurrecting an older thread. Just got a set of tires and some services from my local Chevy dealer thinking I could use GM Mastercard rewards to pay for them. I don't know it I'm stupid or what, but I can't find any way to use those rewards to pay the bill either at the dealer or online after the services were charged on the card. It seems I can use GM Rewards (some service program thing not the same as GM Mastercard Rewards), but there is no way I can find to use the credit card points either on the GM site or on the Marcus banking site.

Anybody out there ever used their GM Mastercard Rewards for anything other than purchase of a new GM?

I've yet to use my points, have about $300 worth collected so far. I'll update this thread when I finally try to use them for "GM certified service".

Back