Is 75w140 actually needed? Chrysler 8.25

I have an '09 Jeep Liberty with 50k on the odo. It calls for 75w140 in the 8.25 rear differential. Is this actually needed? It seems like over kill on a smaller vehicle that does not see any extreme use or towing. I was wondering if dropping to a 75w90 would be a better option and possibly be more efficient?

How often do you change the fluid that a few extra bucks for the thicker fluid is going to be a hardship? In a day when manufacturers are specing thinner and thinner oils, I'd think people here would jump at the opportunity to use a thicker one when it's even approved by the manufacturer.

How often do you change the fluid that a few extra bucks for the thicker fluid is going to be a hardship? In a day when manufacturers are specing thinner and thinner oils, I'd think people here would jump at the opportunity to use a thicker one when it's even approved by the manufacturer.
Especially the fact they're using more oils on the thin side of the grade. My Dana 80 spec'd 90 too but I replaced it with 75-140 at 80k miles. It had a good chunk of metal on the magnet.

I have an '09 Jeep Liberty with 50k on the odo. It calls for 75w140 in the 8.25 rear differential. Is this actually needed? It seems like over kill on a smaller vehicle that does not see any extreme use or towing. I was wondering if dropping to a 75w90 would be a better option and possibly be more efficient?

There's also 75W-110 now, the 140W recommendation is likely from before 75W-110 existed, and 75W-90 could be either thin or thick

IIRC, and this was borrowed from the allpar forum, the choice to use a 140 weight was a cautious move implemented when they had axle shaft alignment problems in a small number of units. The problem was small and infrequent enough that Chrysler spec’d the 140 weight as a preventative measure.

if you have one that’s made it this far without issue, it’s probably proven itself to be a good one, and you can run what you want. If you want to split the difference, amsoil has a 110 weight.

Back