Iron sights are way off

Got an old plinker currently running some glass which will be going on a new gun and I’d like to run it with the original irons (nice long sight radius of 19.375”). Problem is that at minimum elevation setting the thing still shoots 3-4” high at 15 yards (.22lr with 22” bbl). The front sight is your basic 3/8” dovetail but it is already tall at 9/16” overall height. Any suggestions for getting these irons zeroed? It has an old school rear v-notch similar to the Remington sight I attached.

ablut the only thing I can think is to file the rear sight down but that just seems hack to me. There must be a better way to do this.

Attachments

• 3B2DB78B-BC6F-4FD7-A060-46F94A9B2A98.png
    3B2DB78B-BC6F-4FD7-A060-46F94A9B2A98.png
    611.9 KB · Views: 51
I don't think filing sights down is hack work. But I also question whether you'll get what you need out of it to correct it at a distance of only 15 yards. Maybe 3-4" that close seems like an awful lot for a sight that I'm assuming is very close to the bore. Barrels bent maybe?

It’s not impossible that the barrel is bent but it sure doesn’t seem to be. Zero and shoots well with my optic. Irons are about 0.6” above bore center.

I have some guns where you have to remember to adjust the sight picture with that firearm. One may end up with a ‘fine bead’ or whatever is required. If you are good on right/left, the next is front bead height.

I have filed the front sight years ago, not normally a fan of doing so. With some guns you can get a replacement blade, may or may not be worth doing.

Back