IRMA Weathermen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people who are walking out into areas where the seawater has been withdrawn/receded due to winds, and taking selfies are the really stupid ones. I hope they know that the water will come back a heck of a lot faster and meaner than it receded when the winds blow the other direction
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
No manager has to tell these guys to go play in the storm.

I bet there are some reporters who wouldn't want to go out there and do it live. It's certainly a management decision to do it or not because obviosly there is risk to station assets and employees.

I see nothing wrong with stations doing it as long as nobody gets hurt or killed over it.

It's all fun and games until a broken roof tile sticks them in the chest......and for what? I really like how they tell you the same thing 6-7 times in row before signing off or dumping to the next guy.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No manager has to tell these guys to go play in the storm.

I bet there are some reporters who wouldn't want to go out there and do it live. It's certainly a management decision to do it or not because obviosly there is risk to station assets and employees.

I see nothing wrong with stations doing it as long as nobody gets hurt or killed over it.

Well right now the hurrican track is over my house and due to hit in under 60 minutes.

I am in that house and I don't really feel like watching some weather monkeys happily getting filmed playing in puddles when the reports should be about storm metrics and where power outages are accuring.

Only the weatherperson Stef from Bradenton had the sense to tell people remainig behind to fill their tubs with water so when the pumps get shut off they will still be able to flush their toilets. She reports while Cantori does tricks. She is a Pro.

And a manager's responsibility is to be a mature voice of experience when their junior crewmwmbers are acting immature...like they have been the past 36 hours.

I just watched some clown on ABC with his ski-goggles, trying to stay in position and yell into a microphone, as 100+ mph winds threaten to blow him off his feet. All the while waiting to be hit by flying debris..

These guys must have both the cojones to do this and the paychecks to make it worthwhile.
They are also not stupid and probably have their risk under better control than the camera shot makes it appear.
What about the camera guys, for that matter. First sentence probably applies to them as well.
Don't be jealous:)

I was watching one of the Weather Channel reporters in downtown Miami this afternoon reporting while standing in the middle of the street talking about how the power was still on in this part of Miami because all of the electric lines were underground..........while standing in two feet of water with said power lines somewhere under his feet! Now I'm not an electrical engineer, but I wouldn't trust my local power company to design and maintain high power underground electric transmission equipment that could withstand a wind driven salt water surge without shorting out.

Media Drive By reports , got to do 12 hrs of rubbish reports showing how bad it is.

Originally Posted By: thrace
Sensationalism sells. Sex sells. Face time on air sells. Those weathermen in wind and rain are here to stay.

What?

Your weather people are now having sex in the hurricane?

grin.gif

Talk about getting....Wait, never mind...
crackmeup2.gif

They're just trying to get ratings.

Wasn't it Don Henley that sang "Dirty Laundry"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Who cares? They're deciding to go stand out in it, so if they get hurt then that's on them.

Not hurting emergency crews because they're refusing to rescue people.

A genuinely absurd post.

Obviously you cared enough to comment.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
These guys must have both the cojones to do this and the paychecks to make it worthwhile.
They are also not stupid and probably have their risk under better control than the camera shot makes it appear.
What about the camera guys, for that matter. First sentence probably applies to them as well.
Don't be jealous:)

Yes the cameramen are clowns too.

Please hold your comments until you actually know something about the topic.

Safety is dependent on communication of useful and practical information. The only on scene reporter so far was Stef in Bradenton. She is the only one providing relavant news to people in the track.

Tyou are going on about salaries and those of us in the track are concerned about safety of family, friends and property.

Thanks

Easy to call someone who covers a significant natural disaster a clown and to tell those who applaud their efforts that they don't know what they're talking about.
Harder to refrain from posting when you really have nothing to say beyond disagreement.
Were people at significant risk?
Of course.
Will huge federal money be required to mitigate the damages? Of course and largely through on site news coverage can the national political will be mustered to ensure that those funds are made available to those who suffered this disaster.
In the long run, the national media will have contributed significantly to the national will to assist those in need in Texas, Florida, the USVI and Puerto Rico.
Pretty good going for a crew of clowns.

I was watching a little of it yesterday, and I did notice a hard hat under the reporter's rain jacket hood. Not sure it's going to help if a tree falls down, but maybe it helps with smaller debris.

Easy to call someone who covers a significant natural disaster a clown and to tell those who applaud their efforts that they don't know what they're talking about.
Harder to refrain from posting when you really have nothing to say beyond disagreement.
Were people at significant risk?
Of course.
Will huge federal money be required to mitigate the damages? Of course and largely through on site news coverage can the national political will be mustered to ensure that those funds are made available to those who suffered this disaster.
In the long run, the national media will have contributed significantly to the national will to assist those in need in Texas, Florida, the USVI and Puerto Rico.
Pretty good going for a crew of clowns.

Not sure why you need to build a strawman argument to be right but I never suggested the role of the weather crews was a waste or unccessary or in any other way did I diminish their importance during an emergency. Please try to stick to the specific topic which is that there are better methods than others in getting that goal accomplished and having a newscaster spending several HOURS simply trying to stand up while wind makes his broadcast difficult to hear compared to a newscaster speaking from a protected location such as a parking garage (which still allows a view of the wind and rain) and allows them to be heard and understood by the listening audience seems like a no-brainer. Jim & Mike on the Westher Channel spent seversl hours outside trying to stand up. Those of us in the storms path kept a constant view of this until power was lost. Many viewers are hard of hearing. Many viewers were in shelters with 1,000's of others and had a difficult time hearing the news so there was much disadvantage to a broadcast distorted by high winds.

I also clearly stated that the relevance of the broadcast topics should be considered. Stef was professional and warned people that water would be shut off and to fill containers with water so that residents would be able to flush their toilets. You possibly don't comprehend that we were facing a Cat-4 hurricane with warnings that power and water outages would last a week or more. The ability to flush waste down the toilet of residences is paramount to personal safety. I applaud Stef for actually "reporting" and communicating news worthy events.

I find it surprising you are unable to comprehend this and instead need to place words in my mouth simply because you want to argue with someone while you sit well out of the path of the hurricane. Perhaps you only flipped on the weather for a few minutes and are speaking from limited knowledge?

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I was watching a little of it yesterday, and I did notice a hard hat under the reporter's rain jacket hood. Not sure it's going to help if a tree falls down, but maybe it helps with smaller debris.

Yes, some weather people eventually donned helmets and one even put on a flak jacket. None of these devices would do anything with the types of dangers present in a hurricane. Essentially, the wearing of these helmets made it clear that dangers had been identified but the methods of mitigation were severely inadequate for the identified risks. This resulted in these helmets and jackets being nothing more than "stunts" or "props".

A professional recognizes risks and takes the necessary steps to mitigate them. In this case, moving to a protected enclosure in the lee of the winds is what a professional would do.

It is worth noting that energency services stand down when winds are greater than 45 mph because the danger to them is clearly understood. These weathermen continued to venture outside in these same conditions.

Why? So they could be filmed being "macho".

One weatherman kept bragging how many hurricanes he had now covered. This was obviously a happy moment in this guys career and showed he was oblivious to the millions of concerned viewers at risk of losing their homes and family safety by this meteorological event who did not find it a time to celebrate as did the reporter.

Good to see that you're still up to your usual level of incomprehension in replying to the posts of others with whom you disagree.
For you to have claimed that it was I who lacked comprehension was too rich for words.
Reading is fundamental, as they say.
You should try it!

Good to see that you're still up to your usual level of incomprehension in replying to the posts of others with whom you disagree.
For you to have claimed that it was I who lacked comprehension was too rich for words.
Reading is fundamental, as they say.
You should try it!

Your post has nothing to do with this thread and is simply some type of apparent vendetta. I am going to suggest you find a healthier past time than focusing your bazaar behavior towards members of this forum.

I have reported it to Moderation.

Someone with 15,000 posts should be well aware of forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back