iOS 16.1 new “feature” extends the insanity…

Lots of posts about making your "battery last longer" when on an iPhone Apple Store only charges a mere $49-$69 to get a battery replacement. My iPhone 11 sits at 84% capacity over 3 years and the plan is by end of year hand to daughter or trade in for iPhone 14.

I will only state I don't think about battery charge except when low then put onto my MacBook Pro 90W Usb-c charger I found and it gets to 50%in 30mins. It seems to slow down after that. Th

Neat idea on carbon footprint to pilot feature for likely future of peak energy rates.

I did the battery replacement through Apple on my old iPhone 8 and it got some of the life back but I think Apple’s new software updates really tax (intentional or not) the older model phones. It was a new battery but didn’t have anywhere the life that the phone had when new. Still, for $49 or whatever it was I got another year or so out of it.

I did the battery replacement through Apple on my old iPhone 8 and it got some of the life back but I think Apple’s new software updates really tax (intentional or not) the older model phones. It was a new battery but didn’t have anywhere the life that the phone had when new. Still, for $49 or whatever it was I got another year or so out of it.
Major OS upgrades are a fine balance of feature set improvements and performance while considering previous hardware. I don't believe it is intentional to make battery life less it just an engineering compromise.

Once a blue moon operating systems like Window10 comes along and make machines originally installed with Windows XP(XP, 7, 8, 10) have better performance running Win10.

It's a good feature. Do you also use the lower power 5w charger. It helps to also extend longevity. Charging as slowly as needed is always good. I stepped down to a weaker 2.5w one since it still fully charges but even slower so it degrades even less.
Funny you should mention this. I believe in slow charging too. So when I got my wife an iPhone 11 even though it was capable of higher watt chargers I gave her with the phone the standard Apple 5 watt charger. But the phone burnt it out in roughly 3 weeks. So, ok, I thought it was jsut a freak thing, bought another, same thing, it burnt out.
Had some (in rough numbers) Apple 12 watt bricks laying around and never was an issue. We now both have the iPhone 13s and use the same, I think 10/12 watt. Just looked at the one I use and it says 5 volt 2.1 amp.

I’ve had that on since day 1 but looks like I lost 5% battery life in a year. I didn’t know if people were just manually charging to 50% or if there was a setting. I’m too lazy to do the manual thing and it doesn’t look like there’s a setting to set your charge percentage to. I’ll leave my optimized charging on though.
I plug it in while watching TV at night, most times it goes to 100% other times not quite. I then unplug it before going to sleep most times, only because I move it to my nightstand, if I wake up at night, I put my earbuds into to listen to music and go back to sleep.
My wife goes out of her way to unplug it between 80 to 90% but she doesnt use her phone as much because of work. Retired now I use mine A LOT. 🙃

Anyway, both iPhone 13's Started using them Christmas 2021 as of today both phones are still at 100% battery life.
Before I retired I did plug it in all night and pretty much the same result, it was then I noticed with the smart charge it would wait till the final hours of the morning before I disconnected the phone to be at 100%. IN fact the phone told you what it was doing.

I never really was concerned about battery life though. Get rid of my phones long before any concern 2 to 3 years.

Funny you should mention this. I believe in slow charging too. So when I got my wife an iPhone 11 even though it was capable of higher watt chargers I gave her with the phone the standard Apple 5 watt charger. But the phone burnt it out in roughly 3 weeks. So, ok, I thought it was jsut a freak thing, bought another, same thing, it burnt out.
Had some (in rough numbers) Apple 12 watt bricks laying around and never was an issue. We now both have the iPhone 13s and use the same, I think 10/12 watt. Just looked at the one I use and it says 5 volt 2.1 amp.
mustve been a faulty power supply. I've been using the 5w for a years and my battery health is next to new.

I don't believe it is intentional to make battery life less it just an engineering compromise.
Absolutely. In most cases, Apple implements features across all supported models unless it's 100% restricted by the hardware or more accurately, lack of hardware. It's the same reason why iOS 16 probably makes an iPhone 7 or 8 (I don't know how far back it goes) feel a little bit slower.... It's partly "bloat" but it's also just demanding more from the CPU to operate.

Absolutely. In most cases, Apple implements features across all supported models unless it's 100% restricted by the hardware or more accurately, lack of hardware. It's the same reason why iOS 16 probably makes an iPhone 7 or 8 (I don't know how far back it goes) feel a little bit slower.... It's partly "bloat" but it's also just demanding more from the CPU to operate.
I believe it has more to do with the older models having just 2 or 3gb of ram which isn't much. It's about the bare minimum for it to run but performance isn't good. I believe it has to both compress the data in ram and also page file a little like a regular computer to keep things working.

I believe this as well. Some of the Apple News sites will talk about a model of iPhone running iOS 16 but not optimally and certain features are not available. Even my iPhone 11 has some restrictions due to the lack of LIDAR. The bigger question is if these features are that important to you that you need to upgrade?

The bigger question is if these features are that important to you that you need to upgrade?
You can't miss what you've never had 😉 Speaking of hardware limitations like I mentioned above, my previous iPhone was an 8, so it still had a Home button and Touch ID. I didn't "miss" Face ID 'cause I never had it (or used it). Now that I have it though, it sure is convenient ! Or my 12 takes great pictures but I was perfectly happy with the pictures the 8 took. Downgrading would be hard, but staying where you are is fine.

Back