Invertor and Tru-Fuel?

Had a power outage that threatened to go multiple days; friend said I could borrow one of his Honda invertors. Cool. Picked it up, and he showed me how to use it. However he said he only used True-Fuel in it. If I had to, I could run regular in it, and just to let him know, he’d run it out and then refill with True-Fuel; I have no issue with buying “the right stuff” for something I‘m borrowing.

Regardless. Don’t think I’ve ever heard here about someone running Tru-Fuel in their invertor? At the very least, run the tank down, fill it up with Tru, then store. Longer time between having to run it. Anyone else do that? I can’t imagine running a long outage on tru-fuel but for quick usage…

Side question, how hard is it to drain the tank on one of these invertors? I’m sure there is a line that could be popped off. As opposed to getting a pump and pulling out of the vent.

This guy would fit right in on BITOG . I would buy some fresh Reg. and run it . Dump the remaining fuel when you're finished with it .

Reg unleaded is $3.10 a gallon, Tru Fuel is $5/qt.

I'd run the regular, run it dry, and give the guy a sealed can of tru fuel for his trouble so he can store it as he sees fit. You can probably siphon it out through the gas cap, at least most of it, when the lights come back on.

After all, he was prepared, and you weren't. ;)

My 2500 watt inverter generator only ever ran a runs on VPracing C9 its never ran on regular pump gas. With that said if I had to run it weeks on end I’d fill with E0 but would store it on the C9.

Oh, in accordance to Mr Murphy, after picking up the gen, when I got home the lights were on. So I don’t have to do anything. :) I like it when that happens.

I do have something like 3 cans of tru-fuel on the shelf, for the chainsaw (that I rarely use), so there’s that. Next time I’m out I might buy a few more. What I don’t know is if I want to buy one of these invertors, it could be handy… and it could sit for years between usage.

Yes, nothing like a generator to keep the power on. My whole house setup hasn't seen more than 2 hrs of use since installed!

Many good stations sell the marine/small engine pure gas around here. Stabilize any fuel you buy while at the pump.
If you're lazy, then use trufuel. If not, mix your own fuel. Some trust the overpriced canned stuff over their local 'ethanol free' pump. I don't blame them.

I don't run e10 in anything unless there was no other choice. And, it would still get the stabilizer with every 5-gallon container refill. I would never store e10 fuel or anything filled with it.

Since the generator was a 'free rental', you're simply overpaying for fuel for peace of mind, and by the owners request. I'd also monitor the oil level often enough not to worry.

I don't bother draining a generator tank. Just run it out empty. I get 3-6 hours out of my inverter generator before the tank is empty. Not even worth shutting it down. If power comes back, I just wait until the generator stalls.

My 2500 watt inverter generator only ever ran a runs on VPracing C9 its never ran on regular pump gas. With that said if I had to run it weeks on end I’d fill with E0 but would store it on the C9.
That stuff is $20.00 a gallon! I think I'll stick with non ethanol gasoline and Stabil.

If there was an airport around here I would use AV gas. It is supposed to be very slow to degrade.

That stuff is $20.00 a gallon! I think I'll stick with non ethanol gasoline and Stabil.

If there was an airport around here I would use AV gas. It is supposed to be very slow to degrade.
you don’t know what I pay for C9 and you can’t get it by the gallon I don’t pay anything close to $20.00 a gallon

Had a power outage that threatened to go multiple days; friend said I could borrow one of his Honda invertors. Cool. Picked it up, and he showed me how to use it. However he said he only used True-Fuel in it. If I had to, I could run regular in it, and just to let him know, he’d run it out and then refill with True-Fuel; I have no issue with buying “the right stuff” for something I‘m borrowing.

Regardless. Don’t think I’ve ever heard here about someone running Tru-Fuel in their invertor? At the very least, run the tank down, fill it up with Tru, then store. Longer time between having to run it. Anyone else do that? I can’t imagine running a long outage on tru-fuel but for quick usage…

Side question, how hard is it to drain the tank on one of these invertors? I’m sure there is a line that could be popped off. As opposed to getting a pump and pulling out of the vent.

He is worried about the ethanol damaging the carburetor. He has good reason to do so.
Oh I know it’s about that. I don’t have a problem with that, just never thought about running “expensive” stuff in something that will burn a lot of fuel. I guess a smaller genset though isn’t that hard on fuel, I usually think of ripping through a few gallons in a season in the mower as “a lot”. Usually I don’t have problems with OPE stored outdoors, nor with the gas can being stored outdoors too, just dump some new fuel in and it’s happy again.

Although my recent 4 wheeler does seem to suffer from poor gas if I let it sit 6 months—it holds a lot of gas, and has an open vent, so it really does suffer from old gas. Some time I should try to drain it down, but I just never know when I want to use it.

I used to drive 50 miles for E0 - then found out the farmers co-op had it
Thanks for the link, I see a couple of places not too far listed. The marinas would be closed this time of year. Not sure I’ve seen any E0 pumps but I’ll take a look.

Not sure how long you can store E0 in a typical gas can, one that isn’t vented. I guess one just plans to cycle through it fast enough. If I can get a couple more years out of my riding mower I have a perfect place to “waste” old fuel…

Oh I know it’s about that. I don’t have a problem with that, just never thought about running “expensive” stuff in something that will burn a lot of fuel. I guess a smaller genset though isn’t that hard on fuel, I usually think of ripping through a few gallons in a season in the mower as “a lot”. Usually I don’t have problems with OPE stored outdoors, nor with the gas can being stored outdoors too, just dump some new fuel in and it’s happy again.

Although my recent 4 wheeler does seem to suffer from poor gas if I let it sit 6 months—it holds a lot of gas, and has an open vent, so it really does suffer from old gas. Some time I should try to drain it down, but I just never know when I want to use it.

Thanks for the link, I see a couple of places not too far listed. The marinas would be closed this time of year. Not sure I’ve seen any E0 pumps but I’ll take a look.

Not sure how long you can store E0 in a typical gas can, one that isn’t vented. I guess one just plans to cycle through it fast enough. If I can get a couple more years out of my riding mower I have a perfect place to “waste” old fuel…

I’m buying it in 5 gallon (non vented VP) jugs and add Chevron marine
Takes me a year to use two jugs …

you don’t know what I pay for C9 and you can’t get it by the gallon I don’t pay anything close to $20.00 a gallon

Thought I read once (maybe it was Cujet) someone was able to buy it at a pump.

Wanted to get some for my snowblower but the prices here in Canada were too high - $173CAD for a 5 gallon container.
Comes out to $25US/gallon + 13% tax.

Ended up buying Aspen Fuel which is the TruFuel of Sweden. I think they're new to the North American market.

Was cheaper than C9 if anyone else is interested - https://www.aspenfuels.us/outlets/find-dealer/

5 year shelf life

Last edited:
I run my 2000W inverter generator on Aspen (TruFuel equivalent as @michael007 pointed out). It only gets used to top up the travel trailer batteries as needed while camping without hookups, so it sees maybe 5-10 hours a year of run time including occasional starts to exercise it through the year. If I had to run it for an extended period, I wouldn't hesitate to use pump gas (ideally stabilized E0, but E10 if needed), then run it dry at the end of the event and fill it back up with Aspen.

I have put over 500 hours on my Wen inverter generator powering my camper or home appliances during power outages. I’ve run nothing but pump gas. Most of it has been E0 87 or 91 octane. Once in a while I can’t get E0 especially in Minnesota so I use E10 and run it out when I’m back home and refill with E0. I don’t understand using TruFuel. It’s just too expensive.

Just my $0.02

Back